• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Alexd

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2024
Messages
21
Location
West Yorkshire
I know there's probably still much work to do, but I really can't get my head round how it will be another 4 years before the Leeds to Church Fenton bit is ready, given the recent progress and there are seemingly masts etc up over much of the route already. 4 years!
Isn’t there a significant chunk of work around Neville Hill that requires completion of the new maintenance depot at Shipley?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,537
I read earlier that there is a bridge near Church Fenton which needs replacement. What other structures need work before Neville Hill,?
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,891
I know there's probably still much work to do, but I really can't get my head round how it will be another 4 years before the Leeds to Church Fenton bit is ready, given the recent progress and there are seemingly masts etc up over much of the route already. 4 years!

Big block for Neville Hill works in summer 2028. The quite a bit to follow that.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,668
Still a bit bridge job to do at Church Fenton too.

Agree with other posters. The pile/mast positions Neville Hill to Garforth suggest some element of passive provision for 4 tracking.
 

quantinghome

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2013
Messages
2,897
I know there's probably still much work to do, but I really can't get my head round how it will be another 4 years before the Leeds to Church Fenton bit is ready, given the recent progress and there are seemingly masts etc up over much of the route already. 4 years!
Masts are the least of the planned works. The line is essentially being rebuilt around Neville Hill and there are major bridge replacements in central Leeds.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,617
Location
Northampton
I know there's probably still much work to do, but I really can't get my head round how it will be another 4 years before the Leeds to Church Fenton bit is ready, given the recent progress and there are seemingly masts etc up over much of the route already. 4 years!
Worth pointing out that elements can be phased in before that date (in fact it's highly likely that they will), which is for completion of the entire scheme. So we might get OLE in service between west of Cross Gates and Church Fenton ahead of the Neville Hill work.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,718
Location
Leeds
Is Sarah Bell okay? There have been no videos from her for most of March.
To be fair, there's not much 'new' happening at the moment. I think there's some bridge replacements coming up soon, which would be worthwhile going out for.
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,640
Location
Rochdale
Quite a busy weekend coming up! Sounds like this is the final one for Wheatley's Colliery Bridge potentially
 

Attachments

  • download.png
    download.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 183

158801

Member
Joined
26 Sep 2011
Messages
351
I noticed on a recent journey that since the line has been resignalled, every signal between Cross Gates and Church Fenton is now a controlled signal. There are no automatic signals - despite some sections of plain track with no points or junctions. When I travelled every signal for the opposite line was displaying red.

Is this something new for UK railway resignalling or something that's only been done for this section of track. Is there a reasoon not to have automatic signals ?
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
I noticed on a recent journey that since the line has been resignalled, every signal between Cross Gates and Church Fenton is now a controlled signal. There are no automatic signals - despite some sections of plain track with no points or junctions. When I travelled every signal for the opposite line was displaying red.

Is this something new for UK railway resignalling or something that's only been done for this section of track. Is there a reasoon not to have automatic signals ?
Automatic signals stopped being plated as such on new schemes some years ago, although they still operate in the same way. The original purpose of the plate was to allow a driver to proceed cautiously past the signal at danger if they couldn't contact the signaller via the signal phone or any other means, but with GSM-R that's no longer really necessary and is no longer permitted.
 
Joined
5 Aug 2015
Messages
913
Location
Norfolk
Very happy to be corrected, but i believe that there is no difference anymore from the drivers perspective whether a signal is automatic or controlled, and also that new signals are standardised to be all controlled but with the option to operate automatically if the signaller desires. With solid state interlocking tech, there is no significant saving on wiring by having purely auto signals
 

Tim_UK

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2019
Messages
225
I was in Huddersfield earlier.

Looks like the old style metal span over Fitzwilliam Street looks like it is staying. It's on new pads. I first noticed this on the `On track with Tim` video on youtube yesterday. It's been worked on for several months, and they were carefully exposing the stone work around the ends. I always presumed they were just exposing the ends to lift the span out cleanly. When the similar Bradford road span was lifted, a few bits of parapet were damaged and fell off.


On the St Johns Road span, they are scaffolding in the gap where there is no new span yet. I'm wondering if the new span is getting built in situ. This will just be for bay platform 6 so won't have high speeds.

This is outside the sportsman pub (which is still open)


IMG_4778.jpegIMG_4779.jpegIMG_4780.jpeg
 

Traf73

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2023
Messages
15
Location
Lancashire
That's right, Span 4 over Fitzwilliam St is a refurb job only. Span 3 over John William St is due to go in on the night shift tomorrow...theoretically. :D
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
I was in Huddersfield earlier.
[…]
On the St Johns Road span, they are scaffolding in the gap where there is no new span yet. I'm wondering if the new span is getting built in situ. This will just be for bay platform 6 so won't have high speeds.
[…]
I see there’s another video this morning, looks like you’re right and it is being built up in situ, starting at the left side.
 

Tim_UK

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2019
Messages
225
So the front beam of the new bridge span has been lifted in today. St John's road in Huddersfield. There was a lot of banging going on, and it was still supported by the crane while I was there. I'm guessing there are a lot of bits to fit in the right hole, and maybe a load of bolts to go in.

It's the green crane today. Rather than the white crane that was used to lift in the deck parts.

Pictures taken in the morning of Saturday April 4th.

On the old span over Fitzwilliam street - I took a better picture of where there is a rebar cage to rebuild the parapet.

The new station footbridge is still up in the car park in the grounds of the old technical college. And the last picture shows the scene in the yard behind Huddersfield station.

The last picture is a zoomed in version of the one before (none at posted at full resolution). You can see that they are using stone blockwork to build around the steel structure of the footbridge steps on Platform2


IMG_4793.jpegIMG_4795.jpegIMG_4797.jpegIMG_4799.jpeg



IMG_4798.jpegIMG_4798.jpeg
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
So the front beam of the new bridge span has been lifted in today. St John's road in Huddersfield. There was a lot of banging going on, and it was still supported by the crane while I was there. I'm guessing there are a lot of bits to fit in the right hole, and maybe a load of bolts to go in.
The latter ‘load of bolts’ will be because the deck sections (that you mentioned) were prepositioned on the trestles, and bolted to the side of the previously fitted long beam section carrying the P4/5 island platform. So all those deck pieces will now need to be secured to the newly fitted bridge side span, each individual section needing accurate alignment of its many bolt holes.

There must have been a good reason why they didn’t position the long span first and then fit the deck sections in the resultant gap between girders.
 

1179_Clee2

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2016
Messages
285
Location
North East Lincolnshire
Is Sarah Bell okay? There have been no videos from her for most of March.
Sarah Bell is back
YouTube video posted one hour ago

The Transpennine Route Upgrade saw the line through Huddersfield closed over part of the Easter Bank Holiday weekend, 2026. This video by Sarah Bell features the new bridge span after it was lifted into place on John William Street/Fitzwilliam Street in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. It also looks at piling work at Bradley Junction, bridge replacement work at A62 Leeds Road, gantry installation at Deighton and a complete lack of Easter Sundatly activity at Colne Bridge Road, near Mamas and Papas, despite a road closure...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tim_UK

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2019
Messages
225
To summarise the videos. On Track with Tim and Sarah Bell. I presume both filmed on Sunday. So I'm not sure what happened today (Monday).

The John William street span is in, and you can see all the holes now now bolts in them. The supporting scaffolding underneath all gone.

(Sorry, I've called it St Johns road in other posts. The name changes night next to the bridge.)

Comparing to google maps, the new span is a bit narrower then the old one. There is a bit of new concrete wall where there used to be bridge.

There is a new two track signal gantry just west of Deighton. It is huge and looks substantial.

Monday had a normal train service, so I don't know what else might happened overnight or on Monday.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,833
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned elsewhere but the footbridge at Batley’s now in use, subway closed off
 

Top