Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Yeah, I tried contacting Leeds CC about the White Rose situation and got no response, hence not wanting to waste my time trying them regarding Howley Mill Lane.
As we all know, most councils are extremely financially constrained, so marginal services tend to be very poorly funded. Is there anything more marginal than public footpaths?
In my experience, the permanent way officer at most councils tends to be one person, who works part time and has very few tools available to them when you can get through to them, and have them understand your issue (not a given).
If I come across as negative, it's purely based on reporting overgrown/barbed wired/fenced/signs removed/intimidation from landowners/their dogs on many PROWs to various councils and never achieving anything.
Without wishing to go off topic and risk a rebuke but my experiences with Kirklees PROW has been nothing short of positive. Numerous times I have reported issues and had a response from them and issues dealt with, to a fashion. I also note from being out and about that paths in urban areas used as short cuts are routinely kept vegetation free.
Without wishing to go off topic and risk a rebuke but my experiences with Kirklees PROW has been nothing short of positive. Numerous times I have reported issues and had a response from them and issues dealt with, to a fashion. I also note from being out and about that paths in urban areas used as short cuts are routinely kept vegetation free.
I wonder if they'll just leave the two footpaths extant, to save going through the hoops to extinguish them, but not replace the bridge, with the railway as a barrier in the middle. This is exactly what happened in between Morley and the White Rose centre when they closed two foot level crossings and replaced one with a bridge, the other with a fence. The footpath that led to the second crossing, Morley 148, still exists on the definitive map of PROWs, but in reality no-one is going to walk on it as it leads nowhere. Interestingly Morley 148 is one of the footpaths I allude to above, "temporarily" stopped up for six months, from 17 June 2021. LOL.
It might be worth contacting the local branch of the Ramblers Association. They will have volunteer footpaths officers who will be in regular contact with the appropriate people in the council and may be able to extract more information.
Without wishing to go off topic and risk a rebuke but my experiences with Kirklees PROW has been nothing short of positive. Numerous times I have reported issues and had a response from them and issues dealt with, to a fashion. I also note from being out and about that paths in urban areas used as short cuts are routinely kept vegetation free.
Some good advice here, thankyou all. I will put my negativity aside for the time being and have a crack at contacting Leeds and Kirklees and see what they have to say. Does anyone have a contact at Network Rail that might enjoy some "Community Outreach?" Maybe someone in one of the various portakabin cities mentioned above?!
I always feel a little bit sorry for Kirklees, as it seems they have a massive area with lots of anti-social behaviour to try and keep up with, but without the masses of economic activity that Leeds has by comparison to subsidise its services.
Lots of very run-down towns to look after, feels sometimes like the J27 retail park might be its biggest source of rates?
Sad to read about Red Hall Museum finally going to auction. Apologies for drifting off topic.
Hopefully my next post will atone....
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Had a wander down the line between Morley and Cottingley to see the progress:
Seems most of the piling is done, with some masts down the Leeds-bound track.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Eugh, why does the board software insist on merging posts?
Interestingly, at the site of the former pedestrian level crossing I mentioned earlier, there is now a new Network Rail pedestrian access gate.
They fairly dramatically felled trees and bushes between here and just short of the Natasha Elliot footbridge to create a vehicle track to... nowhere? From a pedestrian, not vehicle, gate?
I really don't know what it is about Britain, and its obsession on putting people unable to use a spell-checker in charge of making expensive signage.
Workstastion? For heaven's sake. I mean, York Rock is pretty embarrassing too but a spellchecker wouldn't have picked that up.
Interesting that this sign uses miles and yards, don't these normally display chains? Or did I dream that?
Mad units either way. The use of a lower case m for miles is just idiotic as well.
I wonder what's under the grey patch? Something relating to electrocution, maybe?
I'm just pleased to actually finally see some physical evidence of the line finally being electrified, after being announced and cancelled so many times over the years.
Next dream... the shiny 5 carriage EMUs that Northern are no doubt going to acquire for the Huddersfield line! So that us South Leeds and Kirklees paupers can have a taste of what the Airedale/Wharfedale line users have had for the last 20 years.
Thanks for confirming- that's the one I figured you probably meant, being the only crossing of the railway by the A62 within Huddersfield while it's called Leeds Road. There's a large compound nearby, just beyond the bridge when heading away from Huddersfield.
Unrelated, but it would be nice if Kirklees Council could use the opportunity to sort out the A62 in that area. It currently looks like the average road in Dombass!
Kirklees council claim they are supposedly bankrupt they can't even get Dalton bank Rd rebuilt up where its subsided near the Bradley Wood filter beds that road comes off colne Bridge Rd and comes out on crossley Lane near ICI now Singenta.
Currently all road traffic to Waterloo and the Sheffield Rd A629 is having to go via colne Bridge Rd over bog Green lane through Kirkheaton and causing a Rait mess every day the earliest kirklees council highways can get Dalton bank road subsidence sorted out is spring next year, but yet kirklees council are spending money on the old piazza, it's ironic.
I do notice though the TPE upgrade when I go off to heritage steam railways through Deighton there is a lot of good progress happening like the requadroupling of the track and the new loco depot been built on the old 55G steam shed site when is Deighton station due to be rebuilt for the trak re widening? And alot of progress at Mirfield rebuilding the new station and the foundations going in for the flyover at Ravensthorpe over the river Calder.
On the subject of rights of way, the extended closure of the Bradley-Birkby Greenway due to TRU works is not going down well with the local cycling community, apparently it's now been extended until the end of the year.
Provision and signposting of diversion routes and information about closures seems pretty poor.
Ditto.
The last photo would see to be taken from the existing footbridge where the White Rose station should have been built (at a fraction of the cost).
On the subject of rights of way, the extended closure of the Bradley-Birkby Greenway due to TRU works is not going down well with the local cycling community, apparently it's now been extended until the end of the year.
Provision and signposting of diversion routes and information about closures seems pretty poor.
The huddersfield broad canal is just as decent from hillhouse lane towards colliery Bridge where it can be rejoined the Bradley birkby ex mid line cycleway and cycle over the blue brick colne valley viaduct to Mirfield I used to do that all the time cycling to Dewsbury.
The huddersfield broad canal is just as decent from hillhouse lane towards colliery Bridge where it can be rejoined the Bradley birkby ex mid line cycleway and cycle over the blue brick colne valley viaduct to Mirfield I used to do that all the time cycling to Dewsbury.
Footbridges should have been installed during the M62 construction. What I don't understand is that some footbridges were installed that carry footpaths but not all, as in these instances.
Update from one of the site engineers from the ongoing blockade. It sounds like lots of steelwork to be installed next.
Today marks the successful installation of the last of over 100 OLE foundations, completed in just three and a half weeks along the The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU).
The OLE team is now set to transform the site, continuing with the installation of OLE masts and booms over the next week and a half, driving progress on The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU).
Today marks the successful installation of the last of over 100 OLE foundations, completed in just three and a half weeks along the The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU). This achievement is a testament to the expertise and professionalism of the Keltbray Infrastructure Services piling team...
Great to finally see some metalwork after all these years! Thanks for the update. Shame it will still be many years before it's used properly but something about Rome and it's building timeframe.
I do notice though the TPE upgrade when I go off to heritage steam railways through Deighton there is a lot of good progress happening like the requadroupling of the track and the new loco depot been built on the old 55G steam shed site when is Deighton station due to be rebuilt for the trak re widening? And alot of progress at Mirfield rebuilding the new station and the foundations going in for the flyover at Ravensthorpe over the river Calder.
As far as I know, the site is being used for the temporary Huddersfield station while the station is fully closed for the rebuild. There was talk of a small depot and/or stabling sidings for multiple units being built there afterwards, to replace the sidings at Huddersfield which are being lost to the new platforms. I'm not aware of any firm plans on that front though.
Some good advice here, thankyou all. I will put my negativity aside for the time being and have a crack at contacting Leeds and Kirklees and see what they have to say. Does anyone have a contact at Network Rail that might enjoy some "Community Outreach?" Maybe someone in one of the various portakabin cities mentioned above?!
I always feel a little bit sorry for Kirklees, as it seems they have a massive area with lots of anti-social behaviour to try and keep up with, but without the masses of economic activity that Leeds has by comparison to subsidise its services.
Lots of very run-down towns to look after, feels sometimes like the J27 retail park might be its biggest source of rates?
Sad to read about Red Hall Museum finally going to auction. Apologies for drifting off topic.
Hopefully my next post will atone....
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Had a wander down the line between Morley and Cottingley to see the progress:
Seems most of the piling is done, with some masts down the Leeds-bound track.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Eugh, why does the board software insist on merging posts?
Interestingly, at the site of the former pedestrian level crossing I mentioned earlier, there is now a new Network Rail pedestrian access gate.
They fairly dramatically felled trees and bushes between here and just short of the Natasha Elliot footbridge to create a vehicle track to... nowhere? From a pedestrian, not vehicle, gate?
I really don't know what it is about Britain, and its obsession on putting people unable to use a spell-checker in charge of making expensive signage.
Workstastion? For heaven's sake. I mean, York Rock is pretty embarrassing too but a spellchecker wouldn't have picked that up.
Interesting that this sign uses miles and yards, don't these normally display chains? Or did I dream that?
Mad units either way. The use of a lower case m for miles is just idiotic as well.
I wonder what's under the grey patch? Something relating to electrocution, maybe?
They have on some other schemes. There doesn't seem to be any consistent practice - what is done for Stalybridge and Church Fenton? I assumed GFL is some extrapolation of the system that was defined back in the 50s - G is WCML so it may be treated as a branch of a branch off that.
Normally, no - but, to echo @edwin_m, they seem to have done that on the previous TRU schemes.
E1 had "NOC"-prefixed structures, and W1/W2a had "MVL"-prefixed structures, so it seemed logical to assume that W4 would continue to follow that trend.
"GFL" appears to have bucked it!
Normally, no - but, to echo @edwin_m, they seem to have done that on the previous TRU schemes.
E1 had "NOC"-prefixed structures, and W1/W2a had "MVL"-prefixed structures, so it seemed logical to assume that W4 would continue to follow that trend.
"GFL" appears to have bucked it!
Ditto.
The last photo would see to be taken from the existing footbridge where the White Rose station should have been built (at a fraction of the cost).
Footbridges should have been installed during the M62 construction. What I don't understand is that some footbridges were installed that carry footpaths but not all, as in these instances.
There's a shockingly large number of the nearby too. Some were properly diverted, some had bridges built over the motorway, some under, but some, to this day, technically exist but on the ground don't at all.
Today marks the successful installation of the last of over 100 OLE foundations, completed in just three and a half weeks along the The Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU). This achievement is a testament to the expertise and professionalism of the Keltbray Infrastructure Services piling team...
From photos I've seen here (on this thread) and on LinkedIn, they seem to be between Morley and Cottingley. They also seem to mainly be concrete foundations, where
a sleeve is driven in,
the muck is augered out,
a rebar cage is dropped in,
the concrete is poured, and
the mast is added after a 28-day curing period.
The site teams must have been taking advantage of the extended blockades by doing this instead of piles, although I'm sure the ground conditions would have had some bearing on the types of foundation chosen.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.