edwin_m
Veteran Member
Whether HS3 is the new route or the existing route, if the existing route is being electrified at all then about 90% of the work would be the same - effectively re-signalling and electrifying the existing tracks where changing them is unnecessary or impossible. Differences between high and low speed/capacity are negligible unless speeds over 100mph are being considered, which would be impossible on most of the existing Transpennine route.
I think this is more about recognising shortages of money/resources and deferring spend, with the possibility of some smallish cost savings if the work is re-scoped once the nature of HS3 becomes clearer.
I still can't see a new built of DMUs happening for TPE - we will still have a surplus of high-spec DMUs after electrification is complete even if electrification goes back a few years. Some 22x or even cascaded HSTs could be deployed if necessary - they aren't ideal for the route but would do as a stopgap for a few years.
Bi-modes for TPE are possible I guess, especially if Northern buys some for their 120 new vehicles (as I think is fairly likely). These would allow electric running west of Stalybridge and north of York, and in the longer term could serve any TPE destinations that aren't electrified.
I think this is more about recognising shortages of money/resources and deferring spend, with the possibility of some smallish cost savings if the work is re-scoped once the nature of HS3 becomes clearer.
I still can't see a new built of DMUs happening for TPE - we will still have a surplus of high-spec DMUs after electrification is complete even if electrification goes back a few years. Some 22x or even cascaded HSTs could be deployed if necessary - they aren't ideal for the route but would do as a stopgap for a few years.
Bi-modes for TPE are possible I guess, especially if Northern buys some for their 120 new vehicles (as I think is fairly likely). These would allow electric running west of Stalybridge and north of York, and in the longer term could serve any TPE destinations that aren't electrified.