Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Hope this link works, it is very interesting, The Network Rail (Huddersfield to Westtown (Dewsbury) Improvements) don't know if you have seen this before?
INTRODUCTION
This Appendix of supporting information has been prepared alongside an additional Rebuttal Proof (ref. NR/PoE/REB/GT/02.2), which has been submitted by Network Rail in response to a revised PoE received from Mr. James Taylor representing OBJ 18-22 and 29. In the light of Mr Taylor’s revised PoE, the purpose of this Appendix is to draw out further detail on some of the key aspects of the engineering and design that underlies the development of the Ravensthorpe flyover grade separation, and associated station relocation works. In the interests of guiding the reader I have repeated and reinforced some points previously made in my PoE dated 5th October 2021, and where necessary I have eferenced back to specific sections and points in my PoE.
I will summarise the key points under the following three main headings:
• New Fast Line Alignment Geometry
• Slow Line Alignment Geometry (includes Wakefield Line re-alignment,
Thornhill LNW Junction re-modelling and Ravensthorpe Station positioning)
• Vertical Geometry Development
I thought it was down to lack of access at Colton Jn itself? ECML doesn't seem to allow much disruptive access here throughout the year. Only Section 4 access on Saturday nights it seems
There is a substantial Portal structure now, right outside Stalybridge Tunnel, which has been sited on the concrete bases. Clearly will be the termination structure of the OLE.
First portal upright is sited next to the Down Huddersfield at the Guide Bridge end of the viaducts. This is attached to the outside of the Viaduct, as opposed to the Portals fixed to the top of the Dukinfield Viaducts.
I thought it was down to lack of access at Colton Jn itself? ECML doesn't seem to allow much disruptive access here throughout the year. Only Section 4 access on Saturday nights it seems
Been the case for a long time. If you need all 4 tracks you work at Christmas.
If only 2 then you use either the Mains/ Normantons or the Leeds lines. But not both together.
Probably because of the Airport overnight services.
Been the case for a long time. If you need all 4 tracks you work at Christmas.
If only 2 then you use either the Mains/ Normantons or the Leeds lines. But not both together.
Probably because of the Airport overnight services.
Indeed, all-line blocks outside of Xmas seem to be rare as hen's teeth, and very short when they do appear.
However, they have appeared recently, as a new 4-track disconnector structure (perhaps a Principal Supply Point, taking traction power to feed the signalling system transformer) has been erected in recent weeks. While the masts could have been done with 2 tracks still open, stringing the spanwire feeds across would have required an all-line block.
Batley - Former Adwalton line at Lady Anne crossing.
Starting to see the finishing touches go in. The stepped access from the Adwalton embankment is open and the associated landscaping is taking a final shape.
Additionally, the former abutment wall is in the process of having the cap stones added and the holes for soil nails rendered over.
Signal box still in situ.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Batley Station Area
I noticed an additional bit of former railway land opened up with vegetation cleared. When viewed from Soothill overbridge the area cleared was the remaining piece of the former GNR station platform for services via Shaw Cross and Runtling Junction to/from Wakefield. (Short lived service and I believe it ceased before WW1 but I could be wrong.)
The interesting bit is that the former landing for when Batley station had a footbridge is in this area and is now on show. The footbridge connected Soothill with GNR platforms 4 & 5, which gave access through a subway to the current subway for platforms 2 & 1.
Unfortunately for the footbridge, it was demolished by a derailed train that took the curves here too fast. The entire footbridge collapsed and several coaches damaged in the process. A shame it never was rebuilt but I suppose the economics of the 1950’s played a part!
A similar view with vegetation in situ taken earlier this year.
There is a substantial Portal structure now, right outside Stalybridge Tunnel, which has been sited on the concrete bases. Clearly will be the termination structure of the OLE.
Thanks. I drive past from time to time and I’ve been watching the work go up but 1st time I’ve had a chance to park up and take photos.
Notice the large concrete foot from the frame. Obviously designed to take tension from the station direction. Also it almost looks designed to be raised up if the wires are extended into the tunnel.
And the bolts on the video of the viaduct. They are huge.
Further on there are concrete bases on the top of the viaduct walls.
My pictures from last week (#6916) show two new bases just off the east end of P3/4 at Stalybridge, with no steelwork attached.
I doubt they are anything to do with the wiring termination setup.
Maybe for signalling masts yet to be installed?
I'm at stalybridge now, there is the only one base left to do, the bay platform gantries are still fenced off,the ashton line wires still finish just before the station, heading towards Piccadilly now and see what progress is left to do.
My pictures from last week (#6916) show two new bases just off the east end of P3/4 at Stalybridge, with no steelwork attached.
I doubt they are anything to do with the wiring termination setup.
Maybe for signalling masts yet to be installed?
I think there's another OLE portal yet to go in; the 2 anchoring masts either side of it are MVL/12/32 and MVL/12/34, so MVL/12/33 will be the last one to go in within the station.
That'd make sense since if Stalybridge - Manchester Victoria is electrified the 769s on Southport-Stalybridge might be able to stay on electric for longer, and 802s might be able to switch over later, I don't think there'd be as much benefit from Guide Bridge electrified.
Yes I saw one do it on Saturday (although I did not expect it and blamed it on the engineering works until checking).
802s the 802s that go via Victoria (Liverpool-Newcastle) were the ones I meant there.
There's a Siemens cabin been placed next to the Up Huddersfield line just AFTER Stalybridge towards Guide Bridge. It's also opposite an OLE structure that looks to have switching gear.
There's a Siemens cabin been placed next to the Up Huddersfield line just AFTER Stalybridge towards Guide Bridge. It's also opposite an OLE structure that looks to have switching gear.
I'm fairly sure @td97 (and perhaps others) posted that there's going to be a "Stalybridge TSC" at the eastern throat of the station, just before the tunnel.
There's also a "Guide Bridge TSC" being established (possibly to replace an existing one?) on the south side of the Woodhead route, east of the jct towards Stalybridge.
I wonder if this will allow for the "Great Extension Lead" to be recovered west of Stalybridge?
I'm fairly sure @td97 (and perhaps others) posted that there's going to be a "Stalybridge TSC" at the eastern throat of the station, just before the tunnel.
Was on a TPE service from Manchester Victoria to Newcastle Thursday last week and evening coming back.
There were noticeable bits where the works were going forward. The Man Vic to Staylebridge electrification seems to be 60% up which is nice to see. For the Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe section of course it seems nothing is going on, I think I saw a few compounds being set up though. The 2 new stations look cool and I saw 1 compound and nothing else on the Leeds to church fenton section.
The Transpennine Route Upgrade is a major, multi-billion pound programme of improvements. It will bring more frequent, faster, greener trains between York, Leeds and Manchester on a better, cleaner, more reliable railway. To enable this to happen, we have proposed a number of changes between...
Despite the mass of documents this application seems to cover very little, compared with say the Huddersfield to Westtown order. The key is Schedule 1, "Scheduled Works", which just lists
Realignment of Austhorpe Lane bridge including demolition of the old bridge
Reconstruction of Crawshaw Wood bridge
New Barrowby Lane bridge and closure of level crossings
Reconstruction of Ridge Road Bridge A656
Diversion of two high-pressure gas mains.
There are also level crossing closures not listed in Scheule 1 such as Peckfield, and details of construction compounds.
I think it's mostly been the subject of previous consultations and discussed upthread.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.