• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2011
Messages
1,312
Location
Valongo - Portugal
Good evening everyone!

What are your thought's about the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, a trade agreement that is supposed to make it easier for EU and the US to trade and invest in each other.

This agreement has been in the works since 2013 under closed doors and without public knowledge. It was because of unclassified document by the European Comission that such agreement came to be known.

The unclassified document's information is available in this link:

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/ttip/


The content of this document has led to a popular arise agaisnt these negotiations, which are told to be an assault on democracy and on the right of citizens.

The next article by "The Independent" explains six reasons this agreement can be harmful to UK and other EU citizens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html



I should say that, BTTB, I still don't have a clear opinion on this agreement, but I'm leaning a lot against TTIP, because of its undemocratic development. I recommend everyone a proper analysis and investigation since this is a very recent issue in debate, but if you already have a clear position, say it! ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
It's being negioated by staff that work for democratically elected representatives though?

What would you consider to be a democratic process to develop a trade agreement?
 

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
Why on earth would anyone give unelected boards of shareholders the power to take governments (who are all democratically elected*) to private tribunals so they can sue them if a government has a law or regulation in place which harms their business.

Another key party if TTIP is the erosion of EU regulations in line with American regulations to allow better trade. However it's well known that american food is made of less natural ingredients and more processed modified ingredients. Not too mention the fact that workers rights will likely deteriorate in line with American standards so allowing even further exploitation in the name of profit.

* - obviously not every government is but those part of the treaty are.
 

atillathehunn

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2010
Messages
1,525
Location
NL
Why on earth would anyone give unelected boards of shareholders the power to take governments (who are all democratically elected*) to private tribunals so they can sue them if a government has a law or regulation in place which harms their business.

Another key party if TTIP is the erosion of EU regulations in line with American regulations to allow better trade. However it's well known that american food is made of less natural ingredients and more processed modified ingredients. Not too mention the fact that workers rights will likely deteriorate in line with American standards so allowing even further exploitation in the name of profit.

* - obviously not every government is but those part of the treaty are.

I will make two comments here simply because I am a student of EU, International Human Rights law and I the majority of this is nonsense.

Under various international covenants, including under certain aspects of EU law, and including Human Rights law, businesses have the ability to bring a case against the government or other bodies as allowed in the statute or treaty. For instance, UK v Sunday Times in the ECHR on the issue of free speech. I would challenge the democratic legitimacy in the typical tri-partite structure of this court, in the same way I'm sure some might in the case of TTIP. I have other cases in other bodies if you please.
As for the democratic comment in your first paragraph. Perhaps you would like to elaborate on who drafts bilateral treaties in a national government. I think you would be surprised at how few are elected. For instance, even the UDHR was not drafted in a democratic framework by elected representatives. Why do you now have such a problem?

As for the rest of your paragraph I'm afraid I cannot take it seriously. I would like you to find me evidence to support your claims. I would like to know the content of the treaty, I would first like data on American food. This you will I'm sure find. Then I would like to know more about how the EU regulations will be degraded. I would like to understand the binding nature of treaties within the EU under Art 114 as a legal basis. I would like to know how this will be implemented, and the hierarchy of legislation and how the courts will interpret and implement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top