Hi All,
I received a TIR on 1/12/25 on a TPE train between Stockport and Leeds as I presented an expired railcard, I had forgotten to check it and only realised when I opened it up to see that it had expired a couple of weeks prior. I hadn't used it since early October. The conductor took my details and I received the attached letter today.
I have been reading this forum since I got the report and I have borrowed some of the tips that you have all helpfully mentioned to other people to use in my response to this which I will post below, I would appreciate any further steer or advice you have on this, and if I have interpreted this letter correctly.
Thanks!
Response draft -
Dear Sir or Madam,
Further to the letter received from you on 16/12/25 following the incident that occurred on 1/12/25 on my journey from Stockport to Leeds, I would like to offer my sincere apologies. I neglected to check the validity of my 26-30 Railcard before booking and boarding the train, and only noticed that it had expired upon me presenting my railcard to the conductor onboard.
I understand the importance of ensuring that my railcard is valid, and I am disappointed in my negligence in allowing the validity to lapse. I have learned from this event, and upon receipt of the Travel Irregularity Report, I immediately renewed my railcard, which I have attached a screenshot of for your reassurance, and I have also put an additional level of planning in place by creating a calendar notification to remind me to renew my railcard for the following year, so that this does not happen again.
I am keen to pay the money outstanding for the full, undiscounted journey between Stockport and Leeds along with a contribution to your costs.
Kind Regards,
I received a TIR on 1/12/25 on a TPE train between Stockport and Leeds as I presented an expired railcard, I had forgotten to check it and only realised when I opened it up to see that it had expired a couple of weeks prior. I hadn't used it since early October. The conductor took my details and I received the attached letter today.
I have been reading this forum since I got the report and I have borrowed some of the tips that you have all helpfully mentioned to other people to use in my response to this which I will post below, I would appreciate any further steer or advice you have on this, and if I have interpreted this letter correctly.
Thanks!
Response draft -
Dear Sir or Madam,
Further to the letter received from you on 16/12/25 following the incident that occurred on 1/12/25 on my journey from Stockport to Leeds, I would like to offer my sincere apologies. I neglected to check the validity of my 26-30 Railcard before booking and boarding the train, and only noticed that it had expired upon me presenting my railcard to the conductor onboard.
I understand the importance of ensuring that my railcard is valid, and I am disappointed in my negligence in allowing the validity to lapse. I have learned from this event, and upon receipt of the Travel Irregularity Report, I immediately renewed my railcard, which I have attached a screenshot of for your reassurance, and I have also put an additional level of planning in place by creating a calendar notification to remind me to renew my railcard for the following year, so that this does not happen again.
I am keen to pay the money outstanding for the full, undiscounted journey between Stockport and Leeds along with a contribution to your costs.
Kind Regards,
)