Peter Mugridge
Veteran Member
I believe there had been instances of electrics being routed towards the non-electrified Salisbury line.
Yes - and at least one ran far enough to go past the limit of the juice rail, but I cannot remember when that was.
I believe there had been instances of electrics being routed towards the non-electrified Salisbury line.
The reactions between aluminium and mercury are very spectacular! YouTube will give examples.I wasn't aware of this method for stopping wrong-routed trains. Presumably if they were to be broken at some point there would be a horribly complex clean up and disposal process afterwards! I'm surprised they haven't been replaced by a less toxic alternative.
It doesn’t on this cab ride - Go to 54:25Didn't it end up getting flashing yellows for this very reason?
I think your suspicion is right - Reading Spur is nearly 1/2 mile long, on a rising gradient, and ISTR the junction is 20mph, so I can't imagine even 8-cars making it to the top, let alone across towards the Relief Lines. Good story though.When I started with BRIS&T in 1990 and in Reading's Western Tower, I was told of a time when something electric was routed up from the (electric) SR lines towards (diesel) platforms 9 or maybe 10 (old numbering). I was told that the driver realised the problem rather late, and did try accelerating to get enough momentum to make it there, but failed, blocking all of the GWML. There was a long pause and then a shunter trundled out...
It now occurs to me (maybe 30 years too late) that I've never heard this story from anyone else, so it's not impossible that it was a round of 'tease the newbie' and I was lucky not to be sent for a tin of striped paint or to ask the stores to give me a long weight.
Digging this one up, but I did notice that in the end of GWR loco allocations at the end of 1947, Large Prairie 8107, the onetime 5116 rebuilt in the 1930s, was allocated to Cardigan. The only other loco there was 2018, a 19th century Pannier Tank.I recall an issue of the Great Western journal which featured a list of loco numbers believed to have run on the Cardigan branch. One of the locos listed was a large prairie, yet the Oakwood Press book on the line says it had a 'yellow' colour weight restriction. As far as I know all the large prairies were 'blue' weight and thus too heavy. I suspect the GW journal was wrong and the loco in question didn't really visit Cardigan.
Was that an unauthorised move, though?No idea if this is true, but a friend told me he once went on a loco-hauled rail tour that went from the mainline onto the Looe branch.
The fabled 769s may make this traction mode switch feasible soon!More recently, a 458 on a Reading-Waterloo service that got wrong routed at Wokingham onto the non-electrified Guildford line and the driver took it.
Thanks for looking; was 8107 a 'blue' engine like the 61xx large Prairies, or was the 81xx class lighter? I'm surprised Cardigan had loco allocations in GWR days, I thought it was always a subshed of either Neyland or Whitland (depending on the date) and thus locos stabled at Cardigan shed overnight would show as allocated to the parent shed. Also, there are some claims that the engine shed at Cardigan couldn't be accessed by even the 45xx locos that were frequently used in BR days so that the first train off Cardigan each morning was always hauled by a Pannier.Digging this one up, but I did notice that in the end of GWR loco allocations at the end of 1947, Large Prairie 8107, the onetime 5116 rebuilt in the 1930s, was allocated to Cardigan. The only other loco there was 2018, a 19th century Pannier Tank.
Actually the 81xx were even more powerful than the 61xx. The latter were built for London suburban traffic with a larger, higher pressure boiler than the 51xx, and in the late 1930s Collett played about with a few of the older large Prairies, rebuilt 10 of the normal 51xx with these big boilers and wheels a bit smaller, as the 81xx, and another 5 similar but with even smaller wheels as the 3100 class, more than a little confusing as some of these locos had earlier been numbered in this series as well. The 81xx were intended for suburban type work, the 3100 for banking, and on paper these latter had the same tractive effort as a Castle. Somehow neither worked out, they were scattered around the system and were among the earliest Large Prairie withdrawals.Thanks for looking; was 8107 a 'blue' engine like the 61xx large Prairies, or was the 81xx class lighter? I'm surprised Cardigan had loco allocations in GWR days, I thought it was always a subshed of either Neyland or Whitland (depending on the date) and thus locos stabled at Cardigan shed overnight would show as allocated to the parent shed. Also, there are some claims that the engine shed at Cardigan couldn't be accessed by even the 45xx locos that were frequently used in BR days so that the first train off Cardigan each morning was always hauled by a Pannier.
Some software to stop this kind of thing was asked for when ARS was first put in at Waverley (about 2000 or 2001), because the only wired tunnels were W and Z. The middle lines X and Y could only access the bay platforms, and they were all diesel-only back then.Initially not all roads on the western approaches to Edinburgh Waverley were wired leading to a Class 86 on a cross country service (towards Haymarket and onwards to Carstairs) being routed onto one of them. This was not long after electric services started at Edinburgh Waverley so I guess about 1990ish.