• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains that are cancelled then run through empty with no conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,533
I've noticed the other day that a FGW Portsmouth - Cardiff service stopped at two stations between Southampton Central and Fareham - Swanwick and another one (I can't remember which), so it COULD have happened. It depends how many stations it would have needed to stop at in addition I guess, one or two then it's no big deal IMO but if there are four plus then you risk passengers missing their connections which could cause issues if it was a late night service.

It is frustrating though, a while ago during the morning peak, my train got cancelled and then 10 or so minutes later, all four carriages sailed past the platform leaving everyone to squeeze on an already very well loaded two carriage sprinter!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,515
It might possibly have been St Denys as I think there are extra trains having to reverse there due to the Botley route being shut recently with a land slip
 
Last edited:

quarella

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
820
Reading this thread with a customer service hat on I could almost despair.

From a railway operations perspective, I fully appreciate the rational for the ecs move - I hadn't considered a set swap! That would of course render the move necessary.

However, for people to accuse someone who is waiting at an unstaffed station for a train that operates once an hour, only to see it pass through empty, as simply not liking a TOC, I think is pushing things. Put yourself in his shoes - would you not be frustrated too?

And secondly, I can understand the mechanics of trying to get the next train to stop, in terms of getting a stop order through to the train crew, but I have to say that from a customer service perspective, the last line here in the quote below is awful:



Nothing personal, but this sort of thing is what gives the railway a bad name, surely the railway should be working together in circumstances like this, or is this just another example of privatisation fragmenting the network even further?

Ultimately it is experiences like this that can drive people away from the railway as a whole, and not just one TOC.

There are a multitude of reasons why the ecs move took place. There are also a multitude of reasons, if asked TPE were unable to call. It is frustrating and not always pleasant to have to wait when a train is cancelled. I have not waded through Northern's Passengers' Charter but it is laid down what can be expected at such times and while attempts may have been made to move the OP and their drunken company quicker which came to naught can it still be considered poor customer service if they were on their way at the earliest opportunity which fell within what has been agreed by whatever body is now responsible.
 

MartinsR

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
78
I think you would be best directing your comments at Northern Customer Services as I'm sure some sort of compensation must be due in those circumstances

I usually find Northern to be very good but one thing that does puzzle me is most Saturday evenings there's at least one cancellation in Area West due to a shortage of traincrew. There doesn't seem to be many problems on say a Thursday afternoon, or in Area East in general so this is something which I hope is being addressed

I emailed northern at the weekend. I think you've noticed correctly. Saturday evening there always seems to be a northern service that's cancelled. Maybe the reason I was as upset as I was is because like you said it's happened before and in my case on the 2022 to Blackpool North.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yeah I can actually but I also know what an uphill job the TOCs have getting even the simplest/cheapest improvements past the DaFT.

Take it up with the people that can make a difference and dont just moan about those that cant!

I've contacted northern. I'm talking about what happened to me on a rail forum SHOCK!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top