• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

trains taken to straight away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
Alright, now for my full list. In order.

Pendolino - Never been on one, but they look beautiful!

Class 158 - First saw these on a youTube video. Loved hem then, loved my first in person seeing at Glasgow Queen Street and my first passenger experience on a Queen Street - Anniesland service.

Class 170 Turbostar - If there is a princess of the modern day railways, this is it. At least ScotRails, anyway. Just this past Friday, it was roasting, and when I boarded one of these, the temperature was just right.

Class 91/Intercity 225 - These just scream power. I love hearing em start up at Central, or passing one on my train arriving into Central as it's departing.

Class 43 HST/Intercity 125 - I'm sure you all know why. These things are gorgeous!

Class 90 - Caledonian Sleeper. Only thing left to be said is that it looks sexy in blue.

Class 67 - Great looking, great sounding. Should I go on?

Class 318 - A proper EMU. Looks fantastic without the gangways, feels great to ride in.

Class 314 - Nostalgia for me, actually. These used to be my second favourites back when I was a kid, behind the 91.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

37372

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2006
Messages
587
Location
Mexborough
Various loco's, 37, 47, 56, 60s.
156s, 158s, 170s, 175s, 222s (but not when in place of an HST!) and 350s I also took to liking from my first trip on them.
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
Glad someone likes the 314's as I have a soft spot for the 315's.They were very new when I joined the ralways.I still remember the smell of the rubber in the gangways and the suspension.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
so at this moment in time the class 43 H.S.T is the winner,with class 350s,171,158,159,all joint in second place,and can i just say RPM elite,a class 67 to me looks like a skip upside down with weels!
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
well where can i start, I didnt like the 350`s at first but they grew on me whn i saw the 350/2 at the start of the year i fell in love with them right away, i used to like class 390`s but i dont anymore but i like the inside.
HST`s were a big one for me fell in love with them when i was about 5, also class 86`s 87`s and 90`s and other locos such as 37`s 20`s 40`s 50`s and so on

i also loved the 91`s too when i saw them and i loved the 365.

other units i like are the Sprinters just classic, the class 66 is an on off sorta thing i liked it then i hated it then i liked it then i hated it
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
From the off I really liked the 333s. Even after a good few years thrashing away they make an oasis of civilisation after all the other stuff one arrives at Leeds on.
And a word for the 313s. Has there ever been such a smoooooth suspension?
 

ivanhoe

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2009
Messages
963
Desiros on Birmingham Liverpool Route. Good seat to window configuration but really dislike the Pendolinos. Bad seat/ window layout, and do they smell sometimes! 170's are also a decent ride with decent seat/ window layout
 

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
I have thoroughly enjoyed all my journeys on Pendolinos/390s and 185s since their introduction, many of which were out of Manchester Piccadilly. :)
 

j0hn0

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
563
Location
St Albans, England
HST's

then a long break.....

390 Pendolinos - tilting rules
350 Desiros - comfort and quick acceleration
373 Eurostars - articulation is just so much more interesting! :)

and the most recent

395 Javelins

As someone was saying earlier, 321's are capable of more than 100mph. Likewise, I'm sure the Javlin is capable of more than 140mph after my recent trip on it.

Best train in the country as far as I'm concerned
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
quite a fan of 175's since they were introduced on the marches, yes they've been unreliable, but they're modern, airy, really decent air conditioning, and reasonably comfortable and to top off because most of the arriva network is timed for the 15x fleets they keep to the timetable really well because of the fantastic acceleration. Much prefer these over 170's.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,644
Location
Hampshire
Ok heres Mine...

DMU

142,150/2,153,156 SPT, 175 & 180

Irish Rail 22000's - Come on, possibly one of best DMU's of ths centuary, Based around the Mk3 with Tables that match up with the windows...wow...just wish we could get some over here...:D

EMU
The One and Only 442...But only as they were with SWT...


Now locos...

20,
37,
the ever unbeatable 43 / HST and unlike some, i actually prefer the MTU versian...
47,
52 / western
57 - They really are awesome beasts...try hearing one roar in in Paddington station on a cold winters night....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
67...Glad im not the only one who likes these...Ok, they might resemble a upturned skip, and being built by Alstom no wonder theyve had there ups and downs, but they are good fast go anywhere locos...And quite noisy sometimes...

But my favourate still has got to be the BR Sulzer Class 25/2 in BR Two Tone Green...Built way before my time, like 30 years, but theres something about them that i really do love...:p:p:p:p
 
Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
Turbostars are my favorite. Its the noise when they acclerate and i like the look of them.

Also Pendolinos, the handsome devils :D

I think the class 171 looks very good in Southern Livery :)
 
Last edited:

poshbakerloo

Member
Joined
20 Jun 2009
Messages
665
Location
Manchester, London, Sheffield & Moscow
I have always loved...

159 (best sprinter)

170 (Just love them generally)

175 (Just love them generally)

377 (Think they look great)

323 (first travelled on one in 1997 and loved them ever since)

And the 1995TS London Underground trains...
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
I wonder why? Apart from the pulling away noise on the DC Electric variants, they're awful trains (not helped by the lack of through corridors and need for refurbished interiors on the Network Turbos).

I like the SE 465s. They're comfortable and modern, and unlike Electrostars, don't have stupidly narrow isles.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
The ones with new seat covers are okay, the ones with NSE interiors are pretty tired.

That said, my main experience of Networkers is limited to Classes 165, 166 and 465, so I shan't comment on the 365s (or 466s although I believe these to be the same as 465s).
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
The ones with new seat covers are okay, the ones with NSE interiors are pretty tired.

That said, my main experience of Networkers is limited to Classes 165, 166 and 465, so I shan't comment on the 365s (or 466s although I believe these to be the same as 465s).

The Class 465/9 are ok but the interiors of the normal ones are needing a serious refurb,the seats just come out with one pull and there still NSE style haha!.

Not saying I hate them (as they are my favorite train) but the thing is with the Class 465 and 466 is that this is there persanality and I myself like it,I hate the new sound of the two Class 465s No.465181 and No.465182,But I love the sound of the original ones It's like music to my ears.
Regards
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
45's cos they were the first loco i had a go driving,

81's-85's as we rode out on them on my Traction Trainee course,

50's for the same reason,

56's as they were the basic traction on my MP12 course,

Got to add HST's to the list now as i've finally learnt them and they make a nice change from the daily diet of Sprinters, plus you're nicely separated from the chav's, 14yr old mum's, screaming offspring of previous etc! :D
 

Demps

Member
Joined
11 May 2006
Messages
692
Location
York
Well, it has to be the swallow HST's. I remember them from the mid 90's as a kid, i'd sit down by clifton bridge, when the fence was litrally a ft away from the sharpest mainline bend in the country, the noise was enough to make me cover my ears and still scare the **** out of me, but it kept on drawing me back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top