• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

trains taken to straight away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,504
Location
DTOS A or B
have always liked 319's from day one, i remember traveling on holiday/days out and always liked them since.
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
Ive always been keen on HSTs. Even in the late 70s/early 80s, when other railfans didnt like them, because they werent proper locos, I liked them.
Now, they seem more popular than ever, as whilst theyre still no proper locos, theyre more like locos than Pendolinos or Voyagers or all the other DMUs and EMUs!
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,504
Location
DTOS A or B
I've always liked the 350's because they are (compared with the sh!t theyreplaced) quite comfortable

i can see why people think this,

321's
low seats
no air con
2+3 seats
slow acceleration

350's
air con
higher seats
2+2 seats (350/1)
fast acceleration

but did you know a 321 is faster than a 350 at top speed;)
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
The first time I saw a Pendolino was last year, and it was love at first sight.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,504
Location
DTOS A or B
So 100mph in a 321 is faster than 100mph in a 350? Right...

Agree with your other points though, especially the low seats, likewise with the 319s.

ill explain, the TMS on a class 350 limits it to 99mph, once it reaches 99mph power is cut by the TMS, and power comes back when it starts to slow down, where as on a 321 you leave the power contoller wide open and it will go 100mph plus ( many a story from old hand's, that in the days before OTDR a 321 will easily accelerate past 110mph),
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
For me, it was the Sprinters, 91s and HSTs in the good old days. :D
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
I'm going to discount anything that I've 'grown up with'...

Out of new stuff, then, it's got to be the 350s/450s/444s for me - I remember my first time in a 450, and I just thought to myself, 'hey, this is a bit more like it!' - they felt instantly much better quality than any other new train, with solid feeling tables in the seatbacks, nice secure feeling doors, clean lines and rattle-free fixtures. Consequently, London Midland's replacing of the 'orrid 321s on my local line with Desiros is a cause for joy!

Why I haven't noticed any change in the number of 350s in service since December, considering around 20 more have arrived, is another more frustrating matter - I can't wait for all the 321s to have gone!
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Wouldn't say that I took to 350s straight away, though they have grown on me quite a lot. The only thing I dislike about them is the aircon, noisy and often freezing and those automated announcements. 321s are OK, but they are crying out for new seats - the original ones are too low.

Daimler, don't forget that Southern are currently using 350s on the East Croydon - MKC service so that will account for a few units. Latest 350/2 that I have seen is 256, came into the country last Thursday and delivered to Northampton the same day. Apparently, the next delivery is imminent (257?); should have been tonight I am told, but has been delayed.
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
Turbostars - they gave that clean, fresh, modern ambience that privatisation was supposed to be all about.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
I am a "Networker" lover (as you can see!),but I use to hate hate, Class 375s,but now I have rather got attached to them,I dont know why but its just strange,I dont like 376s though,its just somthing about them,dunno what though,I got to say I have never disliked 377s even though the same as 375s they just seem better.
 
Last edited:

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
The class 43s for me. I had neutral feelings about there refurbishment because I miss there scream as they left the station but I know the refurbishment will keep them around for a bit more.
 

Dave R

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Messages
109
Location
UK
for me all of the siemens fleet do it, they are quick, quiet, clean, comfortable, efficient and perfect for attracting people back to the railways
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
156 with the 158 a close second.

The 156 has a certain air of sturdiness and feels not unlike a Mk3. Have always imagined that lhcs based on the 156 design would have been close to perfection - once air conditioning and sealed window units had been installed.

Shortly after the 158s were delivered they suffered a fault that caused them to be withdrawn temporarily in Scotland. The 75mph 156s were pressed into service to cover the 90mph 158s (150s to cover the 156s and anything that was left to cover the 150s - recall a spare HST running a local service). From memory they managed to pretty much keep to timetable - albeit being pushed mercilessly - not sure if edging the rules would be encouraged by management these days.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
route:oxford- it's somewhat the other way round- 156s were derived from the mark 3 LHCS. The same, but shortened to 20m, goes for the 150, the aborted 210 and a host of EMUs
 

mathmo

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2008
Messages
338
I quite like 365s - they seem like pretty good trains to me, except for the really noisy whining noise when they're accelerating!
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Turbostars, Electrostars, Sprinters, Voyagers, Pacers, 225s, and the 322s as well.

In terms of locos, 90s (obviously) and 67s
66s too, cos they do the job better then what came before.
 
Last edited:

45039

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2008
Messages
90
Location
barnsley
Always liked the 158's dont know why but they seem to be a proper train yes fair enough they cant replace the 31's or 47's hauled trains but they just feel right unlike the other sprinters and 170's
 

mackenzie_blu

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2008
Messages
493
Location
Zone 3 - Northern Line
Im going to be rather unique it seems and say the Electrostars. I like the way they look and the fact you can walk through them when joined up is a great idea. The air con too helps when its hot as it is today.

And I say this as someone who daily seems them mess up the service on the TL core.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
i like electrostars too, and desiros, turbostarts, 156s, pendolinos, meridians, HSTs, MK4s, and few more that i cant think off
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
To drive I took to the Desiro 450's straight way because a lot of other drivers hated them.

I remember talking to a Fratton Driver when I first drove them and remarking about the brake but the real problem was,that I wasn't used to driving them.After having a row with a guard (due to a problem and requesting the guard give me a bit of time because of problem of not being able to release the brakes easily) round the Hounslow loop during my first chrismas on them in Dec 2004 I liked them even more.The guard started speaking to me again a few years later.

I liked the Juniper 458's because of their history and how they were nearly dumped by SWT.

I requested SWT to train me up on 458's even though it wasn't in my link work,as with Reading.

The big advantage being was I hadn't signed Reading off since learning the road in 1989 although I tended to go down there less till I learn't the 458's in Feb 2007 a month after my last 442 breakdown.

I kept Reading on my route card for 4 years with the help of my route refreshers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top