• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains Out of Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Quick one.

Travelling tonight, got tickets (Super Saver Singles on Priv, so valid after 1901(5R)), not sure about train to catch. Leaving Paddington to go to Worcester. I should be hitting Paddington about 1900.

Knowing the 1915 to Swansea is all hell I assume the 1922 Hereford is similar. Correct? And what is the state of the 1948 departure for Worcester? Is it worth waiting for the 2022?

Also RTT has them all down as HSTs? Is that one correct?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,842
Location
Ledbury
Quick one.

Travelling tonight, got tickets (Super Saver Singles on Priv, so valid after 1901(5R)), not sure about train to catch. Leaving Paddington to go to Worcester. I should be hitting Paddington about 1900.

Knowing the 1915 to Swansea is all hell I assume the 1922 Hereford is similar. Correct? And what is the state of the 1948 departure for Worcester? Is it worth waiting for the 2022?

Also RTT has them all down as HSTs? Is that one correct?

Restriction code 5R has absolutely no restrictions whatsoever on trains via Oxford. You can catch the 17:22, 18:50, 18:22 or 19:22 (the xx:22s are all HSTs), or any train you like to Oxford and change there.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Restriction code 5R has absolutely no restrictions whatsoever on trains via Oxford. You can catch the 17:22, 18:50, 18:22 or 19:22 (the xx:22s are all HSTs), or any train you like to Oxford and change there.

I'm not starting from Norwich at 16:30, so won't be in London till 18:30, hence 19:22 is the earliest I can get (If I cross London in time!). Whats the 1948 booked as? Its also more the passenger loadings I'm thinking about, given I'm on Privs.
 

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,842
Location
Ledbury
I'm not starting from Norwich at 16:30, so won't be in London till 18:30, hence 19:22 is the earliest I can get (If I cross London in time!). Whats the 1948 booked as? Its also more the passenger loadings I'm thinking about, given I'm on Privs.

Ah. Well, basically, all trains are packed until Reading and full until Oxford. After that they start to thin out. The 19:48 runs via Stroud (so is slower), will still be packed and should be an HST.

Edit: Never been on the 20:22 but I would be surprised if it wasn't rammed as well. Even the 22.45 to Hereford via Newport is usually full.

Edit2: For the best chance of a seat, walk right to the front of the train. For some reason, many people can't be bothered to do this so if there's a seat anywhere it'll be in coach A.
 
Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Is the 19:48 packed? The evening Cheltenham trains aren't usually so bad IME (though I'm more used to the preceeding two). It will be an HST, not seen a 180 that way for years, don't know if 180 drivers would still sign it.

19:22 is sardinesville but I'd expect you'd get a seat at Oxford. 20:22 should be OK after Reading.

Plenty of places nearby for a quiet pint to pass an hour if that's your bag :)
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Is the 19:48 packed? The evening Cheltenham trains aren't usually so bad IME (though I'm more used to the preceeding two). It will be an HST, not seen a 180 that way for years, don't know if 180 drivers would still sign it.
The 19:48 calls at Maidenhead so is probably very busy to there at least.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
The 19:48 calls at Maidenhead so is probably very busy to there at least.

I've done the 19:48 before - wasn't packed completely, but maybe just a couple of seats left per coach. This was in Coach B - As fellow members have said on other threads, other coaches may or may not be more crowded depending on people's walking habits :lol:
 

higthomas

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
1,229
Is the 19:48 packed? The evening Cheltenham trains aren't usually so bad IME (though I'm more used to the preceeding two). It will be an HST, not seen a 180 that way for years, don't know if 180 drivers would still sign it.

19:22 is sardinesville but I'd expect you'd get a seat at Oxford. 20:22 should be OK after Reading.

Plenty of places nearby for a quiet pint to pass an hour if that's your bag :)


You change at Newport onto ATW for Hereford.

How do you do that?
It's a -10 connection
 

coxy

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2011
Messages
185
I've used the 20:22 service as far as Slough a couple of times. Always managed to get a seat, but as previously suggested you are best to head towards the front of the train since that fills up last.

Arriving into Slough, a load of passengers get off, so if you have been unable to grab a seat at Paddington then there's a good chance of getting one from Sough onwards.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Well caught the 1948. May as well have been empty. Half of A was empty on departure from Paddington. Walked back after Reading, cant have been more than 10-15 in most coaches
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,341
Location
Bolton
engineering works delaying the PAD-NWP section. check the timetable.

What?

Also, there is a 0030 regularly from Cardiff to Hereford!?! What!? That's fantastic for those southern Marches stations! I'm shocked to the core here!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top