• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver - Liverpool and Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda2194

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2020
Messages
272
Location
north west
From this thread, it appears they may be prioritizing the Sheffield depot. Seems like only one person has heard back regarding Liverpool so far.

Does anyone know how the process works? Do they review all applications and draw a list up of who is through to the next round all and send it out to all those people in a mass email or do they review application individually and send the yes or no email as soon as they have reviewed the application.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manda2194

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2020
Messages
272
Location
north west
Oh really. I thought it was just Sheffield people that heard back. Hopefully not bad news for me then. Not sure whether to take it as a bad sign



Well done anyway mate.
 

Andy fuller

New Member
Joined
4 Feb 2019
Messages
2
Anyone else had an email this morning stating due to COVID 19 they are with drawing the job vacancy?
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
End of the line for all of us folks, even those at the assessment stage.

"Further to your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver - Sheffield, reference 013076, in light of the current COVID crisis we have just been informed that the Department for Transport have decided that the Liverpool to Nottingham route is to remain with the Train Operating Company who currently runs this line. It is with regret we have to unfortunately withdraw the vacancy of Trainee Train Driver. All planned assessment centres have now been cancelled to reflect this decision and we can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We understand that this will come as bitterly disappointing news but we would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the application, online tests and for your interest shown in TransPennine Express."


Thanks for the waste of time TPE, can't see what Covid has to do with it.

Still, not their fault.
 
Last edited:

BHXDMT

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2011
Messages
278
Location
England
Thanks for the waste of time TPE, can't see what Covid has to do with it.

Still, not their fault.

As the government effectively nationalised the TOCs, every expenditure has to go through the DfT.

I strongly suspect (and this is just speculation on my part) that DfT decided why pay to train dozens of new drivers (and route learn the existing Drivers) when EMR can simply continue and resource it as now.

A crap situation unfortunately, and I think most recruitment will grind to a halt over the next year or two.
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
Yet we will all continue to see the "driver shortage" problems grinding the network to a half once a month.

Ah well, I'm just a bit bitter now.

Still, I got past the initial sorting. I can take pride in that.

Very frustrating to have got passed the initial stage with Northern and TPE only for Corona to spoil the party.
 

Manda2194

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2020
Messages
272
Location
north west
Ive got it too. Massive disappointment.

The only thing I can think of is there is still a backlog of people who applied the backend of last year who haven't even started training yet. Probably low on instructors.
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
To be honest as soon as I read that those meant to be in training now haven't step foot in the building to start due to furlough I feared the worst.

Be interesting to see what happens with Sheffield now.
 

Manda2194

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2020
Messages
272
Location
north west
Pure speculation here
As the government effectively nationalised the TOCs, every expenditure has to go through the DfT.

I strongly suspect (and this is just speculation on my part) that DfT decided why pay to train dozens of new drivers (and route learn the existing Drivers) when EMR can simply continue and resource it as now.

A crap situation unfortunately, and I think most recruitment will grind to a halt over the next year or two.

The email does suggest there may be truth in this "in light of the current COVID crisis we have reviewed our driver resource requirements against our plans for our services going forward". Is that a nice way of saying we dont need to drivers for the Liverpool to Nottingham services we all thought TPE was taking.
 

OL-3944

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2018
Messages
50
Just had the same email. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement, it’s well known that TPE are currently short of drivers for existing routes even before you factor in future new routes.

I know they have been pushing to recruit qualified drivers from other TOCs. It could be that they have recruited there shortfall from other TOCs as there T&Cs compared to Merseyrail for example are far better.
 

2L70

On Moderation
Joined
18 Feb 2019
Messages
358
Location
Barnetby
End of the line for all of us folks, even those at the assessment stage.

"Further to your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver - Sheffield, reference 013076, in light of the current COVID crisis we have just been informed that the Department for Transport have decided that the Liverpool to Nottingham route is to remain with the Train Operating Company who currently runs this line. It is with regret we have to unfortunately withdraw the vacancy of Trainee Train Driver. All planned assessment centres have now been cancelled to reflect this decision and we can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We understand that this will come as bitterly disappointing news but we would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the application, online tests and for your interest shown in TransPennine Express."


Thanks for the waste of time TPE, can't see what Covid has to do with it.

Still, not their fault.

Seen this from some friends within TPE hoping to get driving.

The issues run deeper than Covid or EMR retaining the Liverpool work I believe, feel gutted for you all putting the effort into your applications.

I’ll be speaking to an Ex-TPE Driver in a little while, he probably got out at the right time.
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
Spoke with a TPE friend this morning following the email, hes under the impression that the Franchise is destined for the same treatment as Northern.
 

OL-3944

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2018
Messages
50
Just emailed them asking about the possibility of being placed in a Talent pool to which the reply was........ no:(
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Just to perhaps give some context, the DfT stated back when the proposal was first formally announced that the transfer of work would be timed to coincide with an increase in local services elsewhere in EMR’s area to offset the substantial loss of work at Nottingham. Whether that’ll go ahead at all or not, I don’t know, but it’d have been an incredibly difficult situation to manage if it had gone ahead as planned so it makes a lot of sense. I personally suspect that TPE were a little way ahead of themselves anyway given that nothing had been formally confirmed yet anyway?

I really do feel sorry for you all though, having put all the effort in to get to this stage. Hopefully it’ll stand you in good stead to apply for vacancies either elsewhere or at TPE when they do advertise again!
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
Just emailed them asking about the possibility of being placed in a Talent pool to which the reply was........ no:(

I asked the same thing, was told the same. I asked if I can apply within the next 6 months should roles appear, at say Leeds or Manchester. Was told I could not apply for Trainee jobs for Driving at all with FirstGroup.
 

Manda2194

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2020
Messages
272
Location
north west
I asked the same thing, was told the same. I asked if I can apply within the next 6 months should roles appear, at say Leeds or Manchester. Was told I could not apply for Trainee jobs for Driving at all with FirstGroup.

Really is that the case? My email makes no mention of that. I previously failed the initial sift last year and the email clearly said I could not apply for 6 months but this email I have doesn't mention that.
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
I asked, got the answer.

I dont think its right, so im going to call.

Why should I be penalized for a position THEY pulled.
 

2L70

On Moderation
Joined
18 Feb 2019
Messages
358
Location
Barnetby
@TreacleMiller it shows the complete mess of the operation. There’s vacancies at depots, I’ve had that confirmed to me, but TPE seemingly don’t want to or can’t pay people like yourself to Train to be a Driver right now.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,524
Location
Plymouth
@TreacleMiller it shows the complete mess of the operation. There’s vacancies at depots, I’ve had that confirmed to me, but TPE seemingly don’t want to or can’t pay people like yourself to Train to be a Driver right now.
I suspect TPE will make some cut backs in the not to distance future, for example is the liverpool to edinburgh service via newcastle really necessary, or should it be Liverpool to York. That is going to make alot of existing tpe drivers surplus and therefore swallow up the driver shortages. This is just a hunch admittedly, but I find it strange that LNER XC and TPE all need operate between York and Edinburgh in the current climate.

My thoughts with anyone who has been let down by all this, must be very frustrating, but may just be a case of be patient and ride out the storm.
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
I asked, got the answer.

I dont think its right, so im going to call.

Why should I be penalized for a position THEY pulled.
Because its their right to do that.
No job is certain until you have a written contract signed sealed and delivered so up until that point they can do what they want.
Its not very fair I admit but its up to them what they do.
 

Manda2194

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2020
Messages
272
Location
north west
@TreacleMiller it shows the complete mess of the operation. There’s vacancies at depots, I’ve had that confirmed to me, but TPE seemingly don’t want to or can’t pay people like yourself to Train to be a Driver right now.

Does this mean they are looking purely for qualified drivers?

I have always wondered why TPE seems to recruit trainees. I thought it would be a lot easier and cheaper for them to take qualified for other companies and the nature of the work would make it very attractive for drivers to move over.r Just my theory
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,524
Location
Plymouth
Does this mean they are looking purely for qualified drivers?

I have always wondered why TPE seems to recruit trainees. I thought it would be a lot easier and cheaper for them to take qualified for other companies and the nature of the work would make it very attractive for drivers to move over.r Just my theory
Probably not as attractive as you might think for qualifieds, I believe the route knowledge is very limited, so say you drive liverpool to york twice a day every day, instead of doing longer distances etc, but happy to be corrected by those in the know.
 

lammergeier

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2017
Messages
505
I suspect TPE will make some cut backs in the not to distance future, for example is the liverpool to edinburgh service via newcastle really necessary, or should it be Liverpool to York. That is going to make alot of existing tpe drivers surplus and therefore swallow up the driver shortages. This is just a hunch admittedly, but I find it strange that LNER XC and TPE all need operate between York and Edinburgh in the current climate.

My thoughts with anyone who has been let down by all this, must be very frustrating, but may just be a case of be patient and ride out the storm.

I agree with this. Talk of driver shortages I fear is premature as we don't know what's going to happen in the medium term. I suspect over the next few months things may become clearer, but I wouldn't be surprised if any historic driver shortages are remedied through unrelated service cuts.
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
Because its their right to do that.
No job is certain until you have a written contract signed sealed and delivered so up until that point they can do what they want.
Its not very fair I admit but its up to them what they do.

Yes, I'm well aware they can do what they like.

They can burn there entire fleet if they wanted to, doesn't mean it makes sense. ;)

(I've since spoken with HR, who informed me my emailed response was not correct).
 

sharpy

New Member
Joined
19 Aug 2020
Messages
3
Location
Merseyside
I am very sorry to hear of the above disappointing experience. I didn't get any further than the first online test for this particular role.

I wonder if that excludes me from applying for a current job advertisement with Transport for Wales on the basis that it's still less than 6 months since I failed that test.

Does that short online test really count as an assessment? Or are they really referring to full assessment days there?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top