• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver (GTR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Good morning all

I applied for trainee train driver back in early 2020. Passed all the assessments online, assessment day in Croydon, unfortunately I failed my multimodal interview (interview was with a station manager) so I waited the 6 months and re-applied.

Since reapplying in lasted 2020 have not have any further update, i am still as "pending" on the GTR careers portal.

I have emailed HR various times over the years and each time they say there will be a intake soon. But still nothing

So I'm wondering has the whole thing ground to a halt since the 2020 covid lockdown? Or am I just right at the back of the que. I keep hearing rumours of a new intake of trainees but never seem to get a update regarding my status.

Any info anyone may have would be great
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
You need to apply for new vacancies, they wont allocate you onto them. There is also no queue that you are in, you actively have to go and apply for each vacancy that appeals to you.

Sorry to say this, but waiting achieves nothing when they have a high amount of candidates every time a job goes out.
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Thanks for the reply.

I have contacted HR directly various times over the last few years and every time they specifically said to me DO NOT apply for other roles, my application will be put foward automatically when a new intake comes up. That's why I have never done anything else, plus I have kept checking the vacancies section on GTR website and signed up to job alerts and nothing has ever come up
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Thanks for the reply.

I have contacted HR directly various times over the last few years and every time they specifically said to me DO NOT apply for other roles, my application will be put foward automatically when a new intake comes up. That's why I have never done anything else, plus I have kept checking the vacancies section on GTR website and signed up to job alerts and nothing has ever come up

That honestly is some strange advice considering you haven't been contacted in 4 years.

I think you need to decide where to draw a line on this. I've applied before at GTR and been told to wait for the DMI at a depot near me. I've since applied for another depot and my going through the process.

Which depot is this for? Have you also not completed the MMI?
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
To clarify. (Sorry I have just this morning emailed HR again so I might have missed some details off this post) I applied in 2020, did all the tests etc and failed my face to face MMI, they emailed me and said after 6 months I can reapply, 6 months went and as soon as I could reapply I did.

I applied 2nd time in March 2022, did the online assessment and was told I passed, because I am reapplying I don't need to do the assessments again so I guess I go to MMI?

So March 2022 was when I reapplied and it's still in status of "application submitted" on GTR rail careers.

I email them every few months to get a update and to check I'm still on thier system and they tell me I am in a pool and a new intake will be put through soon.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Ok, I'm not sure what to advise here. They've told you to reapply, you did and they still haven't got back to you, I cant imagine the recruitment for the March 2022 vacancy is still in process and would have been well filled by now.

The problem I think you have is you are in a talent pool without an MMI and are relying on GTR to put you forward for one. The talent pool will have more people entering with an MMI and I assume they will just move ahead of you in the pecking order.

Have you not applied for other TOC's? I'd suggest you need to cast a wider net and apply elsewhere, if you manage to pick up the outstanding MMI pass whilst doing so, it may push you further along with GTR as well.

One last thing, if I'm remembering this correctly, your psychometrics are going to lapse when you hit 5 years? Someone will need to confirm this though.
 

Aviator88

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
323
Are you sure you've worded your Emails to them properly? If so, perhaps they're not reading/interpreting them correctly.

It sounds to me like they're sending you the same stock response that they send to candidates in the talent pool who are asking for updates. It's their use of the word 'intake' which suggests this to me.

If you haven't passed a structured interview, you won't be in a talent pool. I can't speak for GTR, but a lot of TOCs are famous for not letting you know if you've not been selected for further assessments.
 

D3WY

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2019
Messages
134
Location
Horsham, West Sussex
Are you sure you've worded your Emails to them properly? If so, perhaps they're not reading/interpreting them correctly.

It sounds to me like they're sending you the same stock response that they send to candidates in the talent pool who are asking for updates. It's their use of the word 'intake' which suggests this to me.

If you haven't passed a structured interview, you won't be in a talent pool. I can't speak for GTR, but a lot of TOCs are famous for not letting you know if you've not been selected for further assessments.
Yeah I mean I got a reply from a human (not an automated response)

My last email in June of last year was "we can reassure you that your application is still being considered, we are trying hard to shortlist everyone to attend a assessment center. We also want to make you aware we will soon be advertising again for trainee train driver future talent, however please note your application for job ref 1190 w WILL be processed so please do not apply for any further trainee driver roles"
 

AT970

New Member
Joined
11 Jul 2023
Messages
1
Location
London
That honestly is some strange advice considering you haven't been contacted in 4 years.

I think you need to decide where to draw a line on this. I've applied before at GTR and been told to wait for the DMI at a depot near me. I've since applied for another depot and my going through the process.

Which depot is this for? Have you also not completed the MMI?
Hello, Did you end up applying for the GTR Shunter Driver Role?, If so could you go through what the Assessment Centre entails in terms of tests and etc as they’ve got dates coming up for that particular role.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top