• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver: GTR-Southerm MMI Coming Up Soon - Any Hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emzy_007

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2017
Messages
25
Hi Everyone,

I've got my MMI with GTR-Southern coming up very soon and was hoping you lovely people could throw some tips my way?


I have trawled the forums for several hours the past few days and found a few things but nothing to fill me with confidence.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Questions asked, what they are looking for, etc?

Know all about STAR method etc.:idea:

Many thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone else in the same boat right now!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andys495

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2016
Messages
74
Hi Everyone,



I've got my MMI with GTR-Southern coming up very soon and was hoping you lovely people could throw some tips my way?




I have trawled the forums for several hours the past few days and found a few things but nothing to fill me with confidence.



Can anybody point me in the right direction? Questions asked, what they are looking for, etc?



Know all about STAR method etc.:idea:



Many thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone else in the same boat right now!



Emzy_007,
Congratulations! Last bit to push for now.
Know your examples inside out and back to front. They only asked mainly around the six but with a few extra ones thrown in. I assume these extras were linked to the CJE,s you answered on your assessment day and were were questions like, "What would you do if....?" Make sure you use genuine examples for the six, although you can flower them up a bit. Remember it's 'me, me me' and not WE did this etc. They are after what YOU did! Speak as as if you were key to all the scenarios. I broke mine down into the STAR format and reeled everything off in order. I also added an extra R for reflection. What went well? What didn't go well? It's good to show that you've learnt from mistakes, corrected them and used them to good effect in similar circs in the future. Have at least two examples for each question. A third if you can. That way if your first isn't cutting the mustard you have back ups. They will ask lots of, 'How did you feel about that?' So be ready with your replies. No probing is good, some Probing means they want a little but more and lots of probing means try a new tact as that example isn't giving them what they want. I was only really probed on the 'Role similar to a train driver' question. So I used another example and that seemed ok. They do try and put you under pressure to see how you react. With me he said that I wasn't understanding what he was asking for. Just stay calm and think carefully. If you don't understand then ask. You can change your examples from what you originally wrote down. I did with one but maybe you don't want to do it for all six. There was a little informal chat at the end. I don't know if that was part of the assessment or not. I don't think it was. I was in there for a couple of hours as least. Longer than they said it would take. Fill your answers with as many of the skills required for a train driver as possible e.g. Concentration, safety, problem solving etc but don't waffle. They won't tell you a result on the day as they need to go away and point score it. It worked for me.
Hope some of this helps! Good luck and might see you soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

emzy_007

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2017
Messages
25
Emzy_007,
Congratulations! Last bit to push for now.
Know your examples inside out and back to front. They only asked mainly around the six but with a few extra ones thrown in. I assume these extras were linked to the CJE,s you answered on your assessment day and were were questions like, "What would you do if....?" Make sure you use genuine examples for the six, although you can flower them up a bit. Remember it's 'me, me me' and not WE did this etc. They are after what YOU did! Speak as as if you were key to all the scenarios. I broke mine down into the STAR format and reeled everything off in order. I also added an extra R for reflection. What went well? What didn't go well? It's good to show that you've learnt from mistakes, corrected them and used them to good effect in similar circs in the future. Have at least two examples for each question. A third if you can. That way if your first isn't cutting the mustard you have back ups. They will ask lots of, 'How did you feel about that?' So be ready with your replies. No probing is good, some Probing means they want a little but more and lots of probing means try a new tact as that example isn't giving them what they want. I was only really probed on the 'Role similar to a train driver' question. So I used another example and that seemed ok. They do try and put you under pressure to see how you react. With me he said that I wasn't understanding what he was asking for. Just stay calm and think carefully. If you don't understand then ask. You can change your examples from what you originally wrote down. I did with one but maybe you don't want to do it for all six. There was a little informal chat at the end. I don't know if that was part of the assessment or not. I don't think it was. I was in there for a couple of hours as least. Longer than they said it would take. Fill your answers with as many of the skills required for a train driver as possible e.g. Concentration, safety, problem solving etc but don't waffle. They won't tell you a result on the day as they need to go away and point score it. It worked for me.
Hope some of this helps! Good luck and might see you soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi there,

Thanks for the in depth response - it is greatly appreciated. Congratulations on your pass and I hope you are doing well on your training (assuming you have started). :D

Can you remember the questions you were asked / what questions you prepared for? I have seen lists elsewhere but they tend to vary.

Preparation (and lots of it) is clearly the key to success here.
 

choochoochoo

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2013
Messages
1,318
Preparation for the MMI is certainly key. I like the GTR method of doing it on a different day to the rest of the assessments. Gives you ample time to prepare well.

You should focus on those questions you were asked to write answers for when you came for your day 1 assessment.

I only got asked those, and went into great detail (avoiding jargon). Really make your answers about what you did. And be sure on the details. When giving my examples they asked me things like 'how many customers did I serve on that day' ; 'what time did the incident happen' ; 'how long does it take to do the task normally'.
 

andys495

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2016
Messages
74
Hi there,



Thanks for the in depth response - it is greatly appreciated. Congratulations on your pass and I hope you are doing well on your training (assuming you have started). :D



Can you remember the questions you were asked / what questions you prepared for? I have seen lists elsewhere but they tend to vary.



Preparation (and lots of it) is clearly the key to success here.



The questions will be the same six that you wrote down on your assessment day. I'm assuming yours will be similar to the ones I had. They were;

Done a job under difficult circumstances
A time when you've achieved something
A job where you've had to comply with Rules and Procedures
A time When you've had to deal with a Pressured emergency situation
A Job you've done where it's important not to make mistakes

I'm still waiting to start but hopefully it'll be in a few months.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

BTU

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2016
Messages
257
Hi Everyone,

I've got my MMI with GTR-Southern coming up very soon and was hoping you lovely people could throw some tips my way?


I have trawled the forums for several hours the past few days and found a few things but nothing to fill me with confidence.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Questions asked, what they are looking for, etc?

Know all about STAR method etc.:idea:

Many thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone else in the same boat right now!

What do you think the role of a train driver involves ? Talk about safety a lot they want to know you are safety conscious , why do you want to be a train driver? Why should we chose you over one of the other candidates? These were all questions I was asked . Good luck.
 

donpoku

Member
Joined
26 May 2015
Messages
359
Emzy_007,
Congratulations! Last bit to push for now.
Know your examples inside out and back to front. They only asked mainly around the six but with a few extra ones thrown in. I assume these extras were linked to the CJE,s you answered on your assessment day and were were questions like, "What would you do if....?" Make sure you use genuine examples for the six, although you can flower them up a bit. Remember it's 'me, me me' and not WE did this etc. They are after what YOU did! Speak as as if you were key to all the scenarios. I broke mine down into the STAR format and reeled everything off in order. I also added an extra R for reflection. What went well? What didn't go well? It's good to show that you've learnt from mistakes, corrected them and used them to good effect in similar circs in the future. Have at least two examples for each question. A third if you can. That way if your first isn't cutting the mustard you have back ups. They will ask lots of, 'How did you feel about that?' So be ready with your replies. No probing is good, some Probing means they want a little but more and lots of probing means try a new tact as that example isn't giving them what they want. I was only really probed on the 'Role similar to a train driver' question. So I used another example and that seemed ok. They do try and put you under pressure to see how you react. With me he said that I wasn't understanding what he was asking for. Just stay calm and think carefully. If you don't understand then ask. You can change your examples from what you originally wrote down. I did with one but maybe you don't want to do it for all six. There was a little informal chat at the end. I don't know if that was part of the assessment or not. I don't think it was. I was in there for a couple of hours as least. Longer than they said it would take. Fill your answers with as many of the skills required for a train driver as possible e.g. Concentration, safety, problem solving etc but don't waffle. They won't tell you a result on the day as they need to go away and point score it. It worked for me.
Hope some of this helps! Good luck and might see you soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A+ advice, OP this is all you need.
What do you think the role of a train driver involves ? Talk about safety a lot they want to know you are safety conscious , why do you want to be a train driver? Why should we chose you over one of the other candidates? These were all questions I was asked . Good luck.
Excellent advice but mainly for the DMI, the MMI is what the OP will be doing.
 

emzy_007

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2017
Messages
25
Thanks everyone for the help - there are lovely people on this forum and I wish you all well. :)
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Make sure you know your example scenarios inside out, and have another one of each up your sleeve. Don't lie or embellish it too much - they will catch you out if you do. Above all else, keep calm throughout! Otherwise, try not to worry too much. They'll push and push and push at times, but that's no cause for concern. Good luck :)
 

988trader

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2013
Messages
23
Hello mate, how was the mmi? I have got mine coming up soon any hints, is it the same six mmi questions? Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top