• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee T&W Metro Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sand Dancer

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2022
Messages
28
Location
South Shields
Just an update for you all. There are 52 candidates in the talent pool. There is no way of knowing when anyone will be called up but thats the number of people.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
The not knowing with having my medical was starting a get to me so I was hoping for an update. Not the length of wait we were expecting but at least theres been an update. Been holding off booking holidays etc. I know the pool is 2 years long but a touch surprised that they think they don’t need to run a course for another 12 month after the jan course. I think I’m more gutted at the fact of missing out on getting to be trained up on the current stock from a nostalgic point of view haha.
 

magpiepotts

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2019
Messages
178
Location
Gateshead
The not knowing with having my medical was starting a get to me so I was hoping for an update. Not the length of wait we were expecting but at least theres been an update. Been holding off booking holidays etc. I know the pool is 2 years long but a touch surprised that they think they don’t need to run a course for another 12 month after the jan course. I think I’m more gutted at the fact of missing out on getting to be trained up on the current stock from a nostalgic point of view haha.
With it being 12 months until the next course at least do you think that they will want people who have had a medical already to have another one prior to starting training. I do think that the delay in the new traction is one of the reasons behind the delay of 12 months
 

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
With it being 12 months until the next course at least do you think that they will want people who have had a medical already to have another one prior to starting training. I do think that the delay in the new traction is one of the reasons behind the delay of 12 months
Yea I read on another thread that the first train isn’t due til January now but that hasn’t been confirmed.

When I had my medical I asked how long it was valid for and the lady said 5 years and it would go down to 3 years once you reach a certain age.
 

magpiepotts

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2019
Messages
178
Location
Gateshead
Yea I read on another thread that the first train isn’t due til January now but that hasn’t been confirmed.

When I had my medical I asked how long it was valid for and the lady said 5 years and it would go down to 3 years once you reach a certain age.
I might be wrong but the 5 years for the medical might be the periodical medical that you will have to have whilst working on the railways. As the medical is prior to starting they may ask to do it again just in case peoples health has changed in that amount of time
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
Just wanted to say good luck to the lucky few who are due to start next week (I think it's next week), I hope everyone gets through it and it's the beginning of a fantastic new career for you all.

Please keep us informed of how the course is going and any bits of info you may find out. This thread has been very helpful and useful leading up to this point and it would be a shame to see it die now that Nexus have put a hold on any further training for a while.
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
Hey everyone, just a quick question.

For those on the January course, or who have completed the training and have contributed to this thread. How many people are on each training course? When I was in and out doing my psychometrics, it looked to be around 8 on a course?

Cheers.
 

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
Alright, anybody else had the call about March course? Absolutely buzzing! Still shocked considering I was expecting a 12 month wait.
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
Nice one mate. Having already done your medical will have been a big bonus and help for you getting on the course and hopefully more pop up out of the blue.

Congrats again pal and all the best in your new career!
 

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
Cheers, been in same career since school 17year ago so big change. Very nervous but very excited also. Hopefully there’s more courses this year !
 

magpiepotts

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2019
Messages
178
Location
Gateshead
Cheers, been in same career since school 17year ago so big change. Very nervous but very excited also. Hopefully there’s more courses this year !
So is this your first job on the railways. I'm a senior conductor now and love it. You'll find that the majority of people are really nice even from other tocs
 

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
Yes first job. Going to be massively different. Been a joiner since school and been a site manager for last 3/4 years. Can feel like I’m constantly at work. Phones always going and always having to plan and arrange things after hours. Looking forward to a job where I can leave work at work.
 

magpiepotts

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2019
Messages
178
Location
Gateshead
The training is intense with loads of assessments wherever you work however if you stay focused on it then you should be fine
 

Volvictof

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2019
Messages
228
Location
Newcastle
Hey everyone, just a quick question.

For those on the January course, or who have completed the training and have contributed to this thread. How many people are on each training course? When I was in and out doing my psychometrics, it looked to be around 8 on a course?

Cheers.
It really depends. Can range from 4 to 10.
most commonly is 8 but it will certainly depend on lots of factors such as how many instructors there are at the time etc.
 

IsambardK

On Moderation
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
50
Alright, anybody else had the call about March course? Absolutely buzzing! Still shocked considering I was expecting a 12 month wait.
Congrats. I've heard nothing, also did my medical in October. Fingers crossed something comes through.
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
It really depends. Can range from 4 to 10.
most commonly is 8 but it will certainly depend on lots of factors such as how many instructors there are at the time etc.
Cheers mate, appreciate it.

If there were 52 people in the pool, that would suggest around 6 training schools. So potentially 5 left, not bad tbf, it's just the 12 month delay that's the killer unless we receive word soon that's all changed (fingers crossed!).
 

Volvictof

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2019
Messages
228
Location
Newcastle
Cheers mate, appreciate it.

If there were 52 people in the pool, that would suggest around 6 training schools. So potentially 5 left, not bad tbf, it's just the 12 month delay that's the killer unless we receive word soon that's all changed (fingers crossed!).
52? I didn't know that. There were well over 100 in mine I think.
pit took about 3 years to get through us all.
yeah I would imagine the whole situation is very fluid.
 

magpiepotts

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2019
Messages
178
Location
Gateshead
52? I didn't know that. There were well over 100 in mine I think.
pit took about 3 years to get through us all.
yeah I would imagine the whole situation is very fluid.
I think that a member of this forum has an email reply from Nexus stating there was 52 people in the talent pool.
 

gbell

Member
Joined
30 Nov 2022
Messages
20
Location
North Shields
Great to see they're starting schools again. Does anyone know why there was a 12 month wait to start with and why they're starting up again?
 

MPR

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2023
Messages
16
Location
Blyth
Great to see they're starting schools again. Does anyone know why there was a 12 month wait to start with and why they're starting up again?
Someone is worried there won't be enough drivers to cover service when the training starts on the new fleet so they have added an extra school.
 

Sand Dancer

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2022
Messages
28
Location
South Shields
Great news another school is starting in March. Congratulations to those who have got on it! I've decided to start applying nationally while I wait for this and see what I get into first. Fingers crossed for everyone in the talent pool its not too long to wait
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top