• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee T&W Metro Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlG

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2022
Messages
34
Location
Darlington
Hey everyone...

So, I've just had a very nice chat with Rebecca from Nexus and I'm now here to give everyone the update we've all wanted :D

The medical is the FINAL STAGE!!! No DMI will be undertaken with Nexus, if you have passed the OPC stage and have a medical booked or are waiting for a phone call to book a medical, this is the final hurdle.

There is a course set to begin at the back end of November which is there or thereabouts full if those who have medicals booked, pass and accept the job offer. I assume the only issue some may have, is notice period for that date. The next course after that is due to start 16th January and it looks like this will be the one I go on, should I pass the medical as I can't do mine for another 4 weeks due to going offshore this Thursday for 3 weeks and then I'm on a course the week after unfortunately.

So, there you have it. For those of us who have passed the OPC stages, good luck with your medical and those who still have the 2nd OPC assessments to do, good luck and you also know that if you pass those, you then only have a medical to pass and no DMI.
Yes I've been told the same thing, I contacted them last Friday, found out I have passed the medical.

Now eagerly awaiting for them to get in contact about a start date!
Exciting times
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
My medicals booked for this week. Currently though with my current job situation I’ve got no chance of making the November course. I’m self employed and had to take a project on which will pretty much see me to Xmas. Hopefully they will be ok with moving me to jan course if they’ve pencilled me for November one. Would be devastated if I got canned for not being able to take a course. This is all medical dependant obviously.

I wonder if they need more bodies through the door with the new stock coming. I can imagine it being quite a job organising all the driver training on the new trains aswell as keeping a service running. Does this mean we would get trained on both?

Well done everybody!
 

IsambardK

On Moderation
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
50
Hey everyone...

So, I've just had a very nice chat with Rebecca from Nexus and I'm now here to give everyone the update we've all wanted :D

The medical is the FINAL STAGE!!! No DMI will be undertaken with Nexus, if you have passed the OPC stage and have a medical booked or are waiting for a phone call to book a medical, this is the final hurdle.

There is a course set to begin at the back end of November which is there or thereabouts full if those who have medicals booked, pass and accept the job offer. I assume the only issue some may have, is notice period for that date. The next course after that is due to start 16th January and it looks like this will be the one I go on, should I pass the medical as I can't do mine for another 4 weeks due to going offshore this Thursday for 3 weeks and then I'm on a course the week after unfortunately.

So, there you have it. For those of us who have passed the OPC stages, good luck with your medical and those who still have the 2nd OPC assessments to do, good luck and you also know that if you pass those, you then only have a medical to pass and no DMI.
Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse about my medical :D

Did anyone have an email with a questionnaire? I had one that says if you were asked to do one please do it before you get to the medical. But I didn't actually have a questionnaire.
 

Volvictof

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2019
Messages
228
Location
Newcastle
Would be devastated if I got canned for not being able to take a course. This is all medical dependant obviously.

I wonder if they need more bodies through the door with the new stock coming. I can imagine it being quite a job organising all the driver training on the new trains aswell as keeping a service running. Does this mean we would get trained on both?

Well done everybody!
I don’t think there’s any danger of getting canned as they will have numerous courses in the pipeline until they’ve used up the talent pool. This usually takes a good 2 or 3 years.

Anyone starting within the next year or so I’d imagine will be trained on current fleet and then at some point there will be a time when there is enough new trains in service to make it logical that new starters will just be trained on the new fleet, but I’m not sure thats been fully worked out yet. I can imagine it being a clerical nightmare. But that’s for someone else to worry about. I’ll just be sad to see these rickety old trains go.
 

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
Thanks that puts me at ease. If I pass medical I could be jumping gun and may not be in mind for November course anyways.

Yes I feel it’s going to be a busy and exciting time for all involved with the new trains coming. I seen the picture they posted yesterday on social media and it looks very smart !
 

IsambardK

On Moderation
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
50
Thanks that puts me at ease. If I pass medical I could be jumping gun and may not be in mind for November course anyways.

Yes I feel it’s going to be a busy and exciting time for all involved with the new trains coming. I seen the picture they posted yesterday on social media and it looks very smart !
Have you seen the virtual tour they've made?

Edit: https://tyneandwearmetro.nose.ch/
 
Last edited:

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
Yes I've been told the same thing, I contacted them last Friday, found out I have passed the medical.

Now eagerly awaiting for them to get in contact about a start date!
Exciting times
Well done mate. Did you find out on day you passed medical?
 

CarlG

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2022
Messages
34
Location
Darlington
Well done mate. Did you find out on day you passed medical?
Kind of, I found out on the day I had passed the drugs/alcohol vision/hearing tests but you don't find out on the day the results of the ECG.

About a week and a half later I still hadn't heard anything so rang Rebecca from Nexus HR to see if there was any update and she told me I had passed.

Not got nothing in black and white yet though, fingers crossed I hear something soon, very excited now!
 

northeast10

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2020
Messages
147
Location
newcastle
I thought it might have been the drug urine test that would be the wait. You would think if you were on the potential November course they would be telling you soon so fingers crossed mate. Still got my medical to do.
 

IsambardK

On Moderation
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
50
I thought it might have been the drug urine test that would be the wait. You would think if you were on the potential November course they would be telling you soon so fingers crossed mate. Still got my medical to do.
Yeah I'd have thought the urine test would be the one that's sent away and the ECG would be known on the day since it obviously gives live results. Maybe it needs sending to someone to study in-depth.
 

Volvictof

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2019
Messages
228
Location
Newcastle
Yeah I'd have thought the urine test would be the one that's sent away and the ECG would be known on the day since it obviously gives live results. Maybe it needs sending to someone to study in-depth.
I had a similar issue with the ECG and so have many of the current drivers. It should be giving results on the day but because it’s an old and finniky machine it quite often throws out odd results, usually this means it just needs checked and signed off by a doctor who understands the readings better than the nurses who operate it who can only sign off on specific readings. There’s not a doctor in full time and so this is what takes the time. I did spend a week in suspense thinking I may have a heart problem.
 

CarlG

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2022
Messages
34
Location
Darlington
Yeah urine results take 10 minutes and you find out on the day. ECG has to be sent to a doctor for them to read it, hence the delay in that.
 

IsambardK

On Moderation
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
50
I had a similar issue with the ECG and so have many of the current drivers. It should be giving results on the day but because it’s an old and finniky machine it quite often throws out odd results, usually this means it just needs checked and signed off by a doctor who understands the readings better than the nurses who operate it who can only sign off on specific readings. There’s not a doctor in full time and so this is what takes the time. I did spend a week in suspense thinking I may have a heart problem.
That's filling me with confidence :D

Also anyone who's done the medical, was there a pre-medical questionnaire to fill in?
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
Did mmi and tests today
No idea how I did on the mmi
Fingers crossed for you pal. I found out next day so hopefully not a long wait for you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I had a similar issue with the ECG and so have many of the current drivers. It should be giving results on the day but because it’s an old and finniky machine it quite often throws out odd results, usually this means it just needs checked and signed off by a doctor who understands the readings better than the nurses who operate it who can only sign off on specific readings. There’s not a doctor in full time and so this is what takes the time. I did spend a week in suspense thinking I may have a heart problem.
Is the 6 months training Monday to Friday mate?
 

Volvictof

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2019
Messages
228
Location
Newcastle
Is the 6 months training Monday to Friday mate?
If it’s similar to mine then the classroom phases (first 4months) are generally weekdays but with some weekends where required (depending on infrastructure availability). The calender for all this was given to us before we started the course.
The last 2 months (depending on your ability) is following your coaches shift patterns so will be a mix of lates/earlies and weekdays/weekends. this is also when you go to a 4day working pattern.

(assuming it’s the same as when I did it, which it may not be)
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
If it’s similar to mine then the classroom phases (first 4months) are generally weekdays but with some weekends where required (depending on infrastructure availability). The calender for all this was given to us before we started the course.
The last 2 months (depending on your ability) is following your coaches shift patterns so will be a mix of lates/earlies and weekdays/weekends. this is also when you go to a 4day working pattern.

(assuming it’s the same as when I did it, which it may not be)
Cheers mate
 

Crumbs

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2019
Messages
59
Location
Newcastle
Found out today and I passed!
Fingers crossed for you pal. I found out next day so hopefully not a long wait for you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Is the 6 months training Monday to Friday mate?
 

StuM

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
72
Location
Sunderland
Found out today and I passed!
Well done mate, bet you're absolutely buzzing!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Congrats to all that have made it through!
How long does the MMI last?
Mine was just under an hour I think. On the day the OPC guy said average about 50 minutes but they don't rush you and let you know that it takes as long as it takes.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

As an aside, I know @magpiepotts has his assessments tomorrow so just want to say good luck pal. Hopefully we see each other again in a classroom.
 

Alfie118

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2022
Messages
6
Location
North east
Well done mate, bet you're absolutely buzzing!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Mine was just under an hour I think. On the day the OPC guy said average about 50 minutes but they don't rush you and let you know that it takes as long as it takes.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

As an aside, I know @magpiepotts has his assessments tomorrow so just want to say good luck pal. Hopefully we see each other again in a classroom.
Thank you. I have mine on Friday, didn’t expect it to be that long to cover 6 questions o_O. Nerves have crept up a little now :lol:
 

magpiepotts

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2019
Messages
178
Location
Gateshead
Well done mate, bet you're absolutely buzzing!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Mine was just under an hour I think. On the day the OPC guy said average about 50 minutes but they don't rush you and let you know that it takes as long as it takes.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

As an aside, I know @magpiepotts has his assessments tomorrow so just want to say good luck pal. Hopefully we see each other again in a classroom.
Cheers buddy. I have just arrived at my hotel in Washington. Hopefully I do pass and then also have a successful medical. Be good to have a pint or few with some people on here soon
 

IsambardK

On Moderation
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
50
Cheers buddy. I have just arrived at my hotel in Washington. Hopefully I do pass and then also have a successful medical. Be good to have a pint or few with some people on here soon
Maybe wait for the pints until after the medical :D
 

Chris23

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2022
Messages
7
Location
Newcastle
Ooft, hearing there is no managers interview makes my plight even worse. I passed the mmi (as I did that before the tests) and I passed 2 of the tests but failed the picture test. :( I was consoling myself with the fact their was no guarantee I'd pass the managers interview. So close yet so far. Also disappointed to find that I need to go back to square one if I re apply to Nexus, I was under the impression you could reapply from the stage you failed at.

Anyway, good luck to all the people who got the job. I'm jealous ha.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top