• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver roles DB Cargo Perterlee and Dollands Moor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atishyou

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2012
Messages
486
Location
North West
It’s hubs they call it .. so you work from a centre point on a map .. Example one depots centre point is a service station on the m6 I think it is ... and they can drive up to 30 minutes from that too book on .. I will be Cumbria hub .. so my centre point is Carlisle station .. but I will book on at kingmoor depot a lot .

Not quite like that anymore. The centre point was used for mileage originally and where people would travel to from that point. It was then amended and there are a number of booking on points. For example, we have 5, but everyone only ever uses 3 or 4 of them.

The North East point is that postcode, but the booking on points are Tyne Yard, Tees Yard, Wilton and Low Fell RMT according to the handbook.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C001

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2019
Messages
148
Not quite like that anymore. The centre point was used for mileage originally and where people would travel to from that point. It was then amended and there are a number of booking on points. For example, we have 5, but everyone only ever uses 3 or 4 of them.

The North East point is that postcode, but the booking on points are Tyne Yard, Tees Yard, Wilton and Low Fell RMT according to the handbook.


Must of changed since the info I was given ... but on a boy that had his contract had a service station on it .. that was only 3 days ago .
 

Atishyou

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2012
Messages
486
Location
North West
Must of changed since the info I was given ... but on a boy that had his contract had a service station on it .. that was only 3 days ago .

The service point is the centre point, used for mileage. The initial idea was that you'd drive up to 60 minutes from there to relieve trains.

Whilst that point is still there, that's not how it works in practice. As mention, there are 4 booking on points for the North East.
 

MRIGuy

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2019
Messages
40
Location
Hartlepool
@Atishyou & @Cumbria can either of you advise what actually happens after the first year as a Junior/Trainee driver? do you continue to work in a limited capacity within the remit of a yard or siding? The way the job is advertised suggests that the role is more suited as a Depot Driver with no guarantee of progression to a Mainline Driver with the company.
 

Atishyou

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2012
Messages
486
Location
North West
@Atishyou & @Cumbria can either of you advise what actually happens after the first year as a Junior/Trainee driver? do you continue to work in a limited capacity within the remit of a yard or siding? The way the job is advertised suggests that the role is more suited as a Depot Driver with no guarantee of progression to a Mainline Driver with the company.

You continue in the role you sign up for. As a trainee driver, you'll pass out at some point, then be a mainline driver. As a junior, you'll pass out into that role, then continue in that role until a mainline position becomes available. It's a progressive role, but there's no time cap on it. It could be 6 months, it could be 3 years.

There's no '12 months, now a mainline driver' from the junior position.
 

Aristo

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2019
Messages
41
Location
Newcastle
If you applied for this and were successful would it then qualify you for qualified train driver vacancies after the completion of the training?
 

heedfan

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2017
Messages
279
If you applied for this and were successful would it then qualify you for qualified train driver vacancies after the completion of the training?

Once you've passed out on mainline, yes. Most TOCs/FOCs will expect you to have completed at least a year if not more on the mainline role before switching to a qualified role.
 

Owen2323

Member
Joined
18 May 2019
Messages
171
I don't know if I need new glasses but can anybody see when the cut off date is for the application for the North East position?? o_O
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
I don't know if I need new glasses but can anybody see when the cut off date is for the application for the North East position?? o_O
If their previous campaigns are anything to go by, there isn’t a cut off date. They just close the process when they have enough applicants I believe.
 

Aristo

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2019
Messages
41
Location
Newcastle
If their previous campaigns are anything to go by, there isn’t a cut off date. They just close the process when they have enough applicants I believe.

If that’s the case then is there any idea of how long we have to wait from the date of submission to find out if you made it to the next stage or not?

Many thanks :)
 

C001

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2019
Messages
148
If that’s the case then is there any idea of how long we have to wait from the date of submission to find out if you made it to the next stage or not?

Many thanks :)


Could be days could be weeks ... I waited 5 weeks till I was told I was getting sent for the test
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Could be days could be weeks ... I waited 5 weeks till I was told I was getting sent for the test
I was recently sent an invite to assessments for Groundstaff position talent pool I enquired about back at in January or there abouts, so agreed it could be any given amount of time.
 

C001

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2019
Messages
148
I was recently sent an invite to assessments for Groundstaff position talent pool I enquired about back at in January or there abouts, so agreed it could be any given amount of time.


I feel I’ve been lucky as a junior driver 6 months from applying to starting next week .. seen some people wait ages but worth it in end no matter how long it takes !
 

zebedee104

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2016
Messages
35
Although this is an “apprenticeship”, is there an upper age limit to applications?

As an Apprenticeship Manager, in England there are no age restrictions for English apprenticeships thanks to the Apprentice Levy introduced in 2017. (Scotland/Ireland/Wales are different kettles of fish though and too intricate to explain here) :)
 

bobslack1982

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2008
Messages
98
I highly doubt it. It would be clearly stated if so.
As an Apprenticeship Manager, in England there are no age restrictions for English apprenticeships thanks to the Apprentice Levy introduced in 2017. (Scotland/Ireland/Wales are different kettles of fish though and too intricate to explain here) :)

Thanks for your replies. I’ll get my application in ASAP, then!
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
I feel I’ve been lucky as a junior driver 6 months from applying to starting next week .. seen some people wait ages but worth it in end no matter how long it takes !
It works out like that sometimes which is good, congrats to you. I had a DMI for JD at the end of last year/beginning of this year, but unfortunately they ceased recruitment for my chosen depot (probably due to the Mendip contract?). I was gutted at the time as I got the impression when I enquired that the interview went very well. All things happen for a reason though and a few months later I was offered my trainee position at GWR. I hadn’t had my DMI for GWR at the time I had the DB interview and obviously wouldn’t have bothered had they offered me a job.

As I said, all things happen for a reason (or at least that’s what I believe anyway lol).
 

Atishyou

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2012
Messages
486
Location
North West
If you applied for this and were successful would it then qualify you for qualified train driver vacancies after the completion of the training?

Not as a junior. As heedfan says, you need to pass the mainline assessments to be classed as a qualified driver. Some TOCs won't take drivers until they've completed a certain amount of time in the chair (like out of the 2 year PQA period). Although I have seen some relax this a little lately.
 

C001

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2019
Messages
148
It works out like that sometimes which is good, congrats to you. I had a DMI for JD at the end of last year/beginning of this year, but unfortunately they ceased recruitment for my chosen depot (probably due to the Mendip contract?). I was gutted at the time as I got the impression when I enquired that the interview went very well. All things happen for a reason though and a few months later I was offered my trainee position at GWR. I hadn’t had my DMI for GWR at the time I had the DB interview and obviously wouldn’t have bothered had they offered me a job.

As I said, all things happen for a reason (or at least that’s what I believe anyway lol).


I’ve been on passenger TOCs for 16 and half years .. never fancied the driving despite applying only once .. but when this come up really fancied it .. first go at applying for freight and in I go .. yeah GWR good company to work for .. I know a few people there .. also got family that work for GWR as well ... take who ever offers the key first then the worlds your oyster ! I’m glad to be going to dB though .. new challenge .. depot is closer to home .. 3 shifts left as a guard and I’m away from passengers lol
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
I’ve been on passenger TOCs for 16 and half years .. never fancied the driving despite applying only once .. but when this come up really fancied it .. first go at applying for freight and in I go .. yeah GWR good company to work for .. I know a few people there .. also got family that work for GWR as well ... take who ever offers the key first then the worlds your oyster ! I’m glad to be going to dB though .. new challenge .. depot is closer to home .. 3 shifts left as a guard and I’m away from passengers lol
That’s what appealed to me too to be honest when applying to Freight companies (no passengers......after 12 years dealing with them.). I’m glad about where I am now though plus I get to keep my travel perks I had at SWR. At least driving in general distances one from the travelling public to an extent.
 

MRIGuy

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2019
Messages
40
Location
Hartlepool
You continue in the role you sign up for. As a trainee driver, you'll pass out at some point, then be a mainline driver. As a junior, you'll pass out into that role, then continue in that role until a mainline position becomes available. It's a progressive role, but there's no time cap on it. It could be 6 months, it could be 3 years.

There's no '12 months, now a mainline driver' from the junior position.
Perhaps I'm looking too much into this but is there a way of knowing whether you will be a junior or a trainee? The advertisement is quite vague in that it references both job roles.

In the example you have gave regarding a trainee driver, will there be a set order in who will receive mainline training first at a hub/depot?
 

C001

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2019
Messages
148
Perhaps I'm looking too much into this but is there a way of knowing whether you will be a junior or a trainee? The advertisement is quite vague in that it references both job roles.

In the example you have gave regarding a trainee driver, will there be a set order in who will receive mainline training first at a hub/depot?


Who ever starts first then age order i have been told ...

99 percent are going in as junior some even get made up to mainline during the course.. just depends on depot requirements .
 

Atishyou

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2012
Messages
486
Location
North West
Perhaps I'm looking too much into this but is there a way of knowing whether you will be a junior or a trainee? The advertisement is quite vague in that it references both job roles.

In the example you have gave regarding a trainee driver, will there be a set order in who will receive mainline training first at a hub/depot?

You should be told what you'll be in your contract. Trainee is mainline. Junior is not.

Trainee mainline drivers will have their mainline driving first.

In terms of progression, it's done on footplate date, then age. So if you start at the same time as 4 others for example, you're at the back of the queue if you're the youngest, except in certain circumstances, which I'll not go into on here.
 

Owen2323

Member
Joined
18 May 2019
Messages
171
Have these both been over subscribed and taken down then? I can't find either on DB's site........?
 

Owen2323

Member
Joined
18 May 2019
Messages
171
Both have been removed.
It's proving bit of an eye opener this recruitment process!
This is the second DB job I've missed out on in the last couple of months as I haven't applied quick enough! Am I right in thinking that once your CV and covering letter is done then that's your application largely complete then?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top