• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Macdonald

New Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
1
Hi first post on here.
I'm 23 and I've been trying for years to become a train driver. (My dream job). Problem is I have never made it past the application stage.
I believe the problem may be lack of qualifications.
I never took my GCSEs due to me caring for my mother who was terminally ill, and then I went straight into employment.
Is recent years I have completed various courses in maths and English but they probably aren't as well recognised as gcses.
Does anyone have any advice.

Thanks Ben
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quote

Member
Joined
10 May 2018
Messages
43
Hi,

I don't believe it's anything to do with your lack of qualifications but more to do with a possible lack of experience in safety critical experience. If you search on here you'll find tons of advice and opinion on how to become a driver, in fact there's a section dedicated to 'becoming a train driver' which will provide all the advice and information you need.

It's about proving you have the experience and ability to remain calm and confident in an emergency whilst demonstrating an ability to learn and pass the rigorous rules and traction training.

Research as much as you can and good luck!
 

Cyclist

Member
Joined
5 May 2018
Messages
333
The above advice is sound. I think I’ve read some companies wanting GCSEs for maths and English but I could be wrong. Can you not attend an adult college and do them?
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
I don't believe it's anything to do with your lack of qualifications but more to do with a possible lack of experience in safety critical experience.

The driving grade has no requirement for any previous experience. I have never seen a Driver application stating safety critical experience.

Recruitment into the grade is very open and only requires the passing of the assessments, MMI, medical and DMI. Getting past the sift is the most random part. There is often no rhyme or reason to it. The shift towards online application is gaining traction and giving the initial sift more consistency.

The most important factor in passing the initial sift is meeting the criteria of the application. Anytime you are declined you should call them and ask for feedback. It's not generally provided automatically and the sifting process being what it is means you may not even get it but I would still call them and ask. There are other benefits to it.

You could always try a more non direct route. It's easier to get a job in a different role than going direct for Driver. It also provides opportunity to prove your worth, gain experience and internal vacancies may come up earlier, sometimes you just need to ask about the Driver assessment and you get one. If I didn't have an academic qualification, I would always use the vocational route.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,673
Although some years older than the op , I have just started as a trainee driver 4 months ago. I have very average secondary school grades and lost the certificates a long time ago. I cannot remember if my toc asked about exam grades on the application , but they most certainly did not see them . Also I had no critical safety experience , others on my course are ex cab drivers etc.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
A lot of it is simply the sheer volume of applications, compared to the sheer lack of jobs! But try getting a job as, say, a bus driver, not quite as safety critical, but still good experience, and also experience of shift work, looks good on CV for train driver application
 

Sotac464

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2017
Messages
167
Although some years older than the op , I have just started as a trainee driver 4 months ago. I have very average secondary school grades and lost the certificates a long time ago. I cannot remember if my toc asked about exam grades on the application , but they most certainly did not see them . Also I had no critical safety experience , others on my course are ex cab drivers etc.


How are you finding the training baz? Is everyone passing exams?
 

ZackCulross

Member
Joined
9 Oct 2016
Messages
199
Location
Edinburgh
A lot of it is simply the sheer volume of applications, compared to the sheer lack of jobs! But try getting a job as, say, a bus driver, not quite as safety critical, but still good experience, and also experience of shift work, looks good on CV for train driver application

I've done tram driving and is currently a bus driver, so fingers crossed I hear back.
 

Croughton

New Member
Joined
28 Jun 2018
Messages
3
Hi everyone. Newbie here. Looking to join the railway, ideally as a driver but wouldnt mind anything to get the foot in the door. I don't have much safety experience but do have many qualifications. My background is in I.T. Will I struggle to get in?
 

Neatro

Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
536
Location
Birmingham
Hi everyone. Newbie here. Looking to join the railway, ideally as a driver but wouldnt mind anything to get the foot in the door. I don't have much safety experience but do have many qualifications. My background is in I.T. Will I struggle to get in?

I applied years ago when my only experience was either retail or IT, I made it to the interview stage but being as at the time I didn’t really know where I wanted to go in life didn’t really prepare for it at all and regrettably now I didnt make it which I can’t blame them for.

Don’t think being in a totally different career will hold you back, my only advice is to try and answer all their questions keeping in mind it’s all about safety but also don’t lie to make it seem like you’ve done something safety critical if you haven’t.

I’m currently a tram driver and flew through the training, just waiting to see if anything heavy rail appears in my area as that will be my next step up
 

Croughton

New Member
Joined
28 Jun 2018
Messages
3
I applied years ago when my only experience was either retail or IT, I made it to the interview stage but being as at the time I didn’t really know where I wanted to go in life didn’t really prepare for it at all and regrettably now I didnt make it which I can’t blame them for.

Don’t think being in a totally different career will hold you back, my only advice is to try and answer all their questions keeping in mind it’s all about safety but also don’t lie to make it seem like you’ve done something safety critical if you haven’t.

I’m currently a tram driver and flew through the training, just waiting to see if anything heavy rail appears in my area as that will be my next step up
Thanks B3my0. Really nice to hear from someone like me from a non safety role. I'll definetly try my best with every question in future.
Thanks again.
 

king_walnut

On Moderation
Joined
16 Oct 2013
Messages
293
Hi first post on here.
I'm 23 and I've been trying for years to become a train driver. (My dream job). Problem is I have never made it past the application stage.
I believe the problem may be lack of qualifications.
I never took my GCSEs due to me caring for my mother who was terminally ill, and then I went straight into employment.
Is recent years I have completed various courses in maths and English but they probably aren't as well recognised as gcses.
Does anyone have any advice.

Thanks Ben

I was in your position in my early 20's and got knocked back at the application stage twice.

I then applied to the company in a different role, which I got, and worked in for 4 years. Then a trainee driver vacancy came up, I applied, and long story short I have passed everything and am now waiting for a start date.

Looking back on it, had my application been accepted on my first go, I'm sure I would have failed the MMI based on the little amounts of experience I had at the time. Working in the railway gave me the experiences I needed to answer the questions properly.

Get into the company and work your way up is my advice.
 

Bennski

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
82
I was in your position in my early 20's and got knocked back at the application stage twice.

I then applied to the company in a different role, which I got, and worked in for 4 years. Then a trainee driver vacancy came up, I applied, and long story short I have passed everything and am now waiting for a start date.

Looking back on it, had my application been accepted on my first go, I'm sure I would have failed the MMI based on the little amounts of experience I had at the time. Working in the railway gave me the experiences I needed to answer the questions properly.

Get into the company and work your way up is my advice.
Which role did you get before you applied for the trainee position? I really want to get a position say in the ticket office, platform staff or even a conductor to begin with as this would give me a much better chance during the interviews as you mentioned. Only asking as Im curious cause I know the best way of passing the interviews is by already having your foot in the door with a TOC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top