• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Good luck, Jimmy!

Had mine today. Was as well-prepared as I could possibly be but the greatest anxiety I had in the end was wondering if I ever did click on the link in the e-mail to accept the interview.... I just couldn't remember! Obviously I had, because they were expecting me, but I genuinely had no recollection of having done it, nor could I check!

Had my interview at Nottingham Station with a lovely chap called Ian. I remember him from the last assessment actually. Lovely bloke.

Honestly can't remember all the questions. There were 11, the first 3 (I think) being about East Midlands Trains, the job etc. The rest were situational ones. Some were ones I had prepared for from the list in the DMI questions thread, some were, to me anyway, total curveballs. "Describe a time when you have had to motivate your colleagues." WTF.

The main thing for me though was that I found it very hard to gauge how I had done, I couldn't tell from the interviewers' demeanour what they thought of my answers.

Ian did however confirm that pretty much anyone who filled in the "why do you want to work for East Midlands Trains?" box on the application with "I love trains" pretty much had their application binned immediately. :E
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dynamonic

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2013
Messages
648
Location
Nottinghamshire
Well done for today Amanda!
It’s definitely not the easiest interview, and the lack of ‘reinforcement’ for your answers is very normal!
They give nothing away! :lol:

Hopefully, you’ll be getting some good news shortly! Until then, just relax! :D
 

stjimmy87

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2016
Messages
300
Location
Nottingham
Good luck, Jimmy!

Had mine today. Was as well-prepared as I could possibly be but the greatest anxiety I had in the end was wondering if I ever did click on the link in the e-mail to accept the interview.... I just couldn't remember! Obviously I had, because they were expecting me, but I genuinely had no recollection of having done it, nor could I check!

Had my interview at Nottingham Station with a lovely chap called Ian. I remember him from the last assessment actually. Lovely bloke.

Honestly can't remember all the questions. There were 11, the first 3 (I think) being about East Midlands Trains, the job etc. The rest were situational ones. Some were ones I had prepared for from the list in the DMI questions thread, some were, to me anyway, total curveballs. "Describe a time when you have had to motivate your colleagues." WTF.

The main thing for me though was that I found it very hard to gauge how I had done, I couldn't tell from the interviewers' demeanour what they thought of my answers.

Ian did however confirm that pretty much anyone who filled in the "why do you want to work for East Midlands Trains?" box on the application with "I love trains" pretty much had their application binned immediately. :E

Cheers Amanda and best of luck to you. I have mine at head office in Derby tommorow. I feel I'm ready, doesnt matter how much you prepare it's never what you expect when you actually get there !

Did they ask you about how you adapt to change and anytime you were unsure about a task?
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
They asked about a time when circumstances changed suddenly, also a time when I wasn't given full instructions to complete a task (or something like that), a time when I made a mistake, a time when you've noticed a colleague's standards slip or if they weren't up to expectations (or something!)... Not easy stuff to answer if I'm honest!
 

stjimmy87

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2016
Messages
300
Location
Nottingham
They asked about a time when circumstances changed suddenly, also a time when I wasn't given full instructions to complete a task (or something like that), a time when I made a mistake, a time when you've noticed a colleague's standards slip or if they weren't up to expectations (or something!)... Not easy stuff to answer if I'm honest!

Haha I haven't prepared for them thanks for the heads up ( that's If everyone gets the sane questions). I am confident in the role and the company, that's where I am hoping to ace it. We shall see. Did they say when u wyd know by ?
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
I am assuming everyone will get the same questions, otherwise how can they judge. That said, it might not matter since different people are doing the interviewing so it might just be a matter of opinion in the end.

The questions about the company were the easiest things to answer!

They didn't say when we would find out, just that they were interviewing to the end of this week, so tomorrow, which I already knew thanks to you mentioning your rescheduled interview on here! So I'm hoping we'll know something by the end of next week. I don't think I could cope going all over Easter weekend without knowing!
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Well done for today Amanda!
It’s definitely not the easiest interview, and the lack of ‘reinforcement’ for your answers is very normal!
They give nothing away! :lol:

Hopefully, you’ll be getting some good news shortly! Until then, just relax! :D

Sorry Dynamonic, forgot to say: thanks!

PS My interviewer said Nottingham is the best depot. ;)
 
Joined
7 Oct 2015
Messages
590
Good luck, Jimmy!

Had mine today. Was as well-prepared as I could possibly be but the greatest anxiety I had in the end was wondering if I ever did click on the link in the e-mail to accept the interview.... I just couldn't remember! Obviously I had, because they were expecting me, but I genuinely had no recollection of having done it, nor could I check!

Had my interview at Nottingham Station with a lovely chap called Ian. I remember him from the last assessment actually. Lovely bloke.

Honestly can't remember all the questions. There were 11, the first 3 (I think) being about East Midlands Trains, the job etc. The rest were situational ones. Some were ones I had prepared for from the list in the DMI questions thread, some were, to me anyway, total curveballs. "Describe a time when you have had to motivate your colleagues." WTF.

The main thing for me though was that I found it very hard to gauge how I had done, I couldn't tell from the interviewers' demeanour what they thought of my answers.

Ian did however confirm that pretty much anyone who filled in the "why do you want to work for East Midlands Trains?" box on the application with "I love trains" pretty much had their application binned immediately. :E

Mmmm, I'd be considered an enthusiast, it was obvious at interview, and I got through. Plenty of enthusiasts sneak through the selection process and there are tonnes working on the railway. I think the key distinction is that it is preferable to be knowledgeable about the railways, a perminent way enthusiast if you like, rather than being seen as a "puffer nutter" as they'll worry you'll be hanging out of windows taking pictures. Being a railway enthusiast can show that you really care about the industry and want to play your part in improving the service provided.
 

stjimmy87

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2016
Messages
300
Location
Nottingham
Mmmm, I'd be considered an enthusiast, it was obvious at interview, and I got through. Plenty of enthusiasts sneak through the selection process and there are tonnes working on the railway. I think the key distinction is that it is preferable to be knowledgeable about the railways, a perminent way enthusiast if you like, rather than being seen as a "puffer nutter" as they'll worry you'll be hanging out of windows taking pictures. Being a railway enthusiast can show that you really care about the industry and want to play your part in improving the service provided.

I agree, I am interested in trains but by no means an "annorack". I'm mainly interested in how it all works and how the systems such as aws and tpws work, I wanna learn about these things and stuff like how to couple and in couple etc.....this would be my response anyway...shows I am enthusiastic but not a know it all.
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
You're both right. I don't think there's a policy of excluding enthusiasts at all, his point was that you need to be able to say more than that you love trains. He said, "I bet you wrote a good paragraph on your application", so I imagine you could declare your passion for the industry but you have to be able to flesh it out and say a bit more about how and why that inspires you to want to work for East Midlands Trains.

My husband is an aviation enthusiasts and got a job at an airport. He said it was the worst thing he could do. His favourite part of the day was walking past the runway from the car park before his shift, when he was able to see the planes, but the shifts were awful and the work was not for him so in the end he quit and no longer harbours a wish to work in the industry. Sometimes you're better off *not* working in the industry. He's still a planespotter though. 8-)

How did it go, Jimmy?
 

stjimmy87

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2016
Messages
300
Location
Nottingham
Hey Amanda...Hard to say it seemed like a good vibe and I answered all the questions as best as I could so just have to wait and see. Gonna try and switch off but its gonna be impossible to not think about it this weekend........beer o clock lol
 

Dynamonic

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2013
Messages
648
Location
Nottinghamshire
For those of you starting on the March course tomorrow, I’d like to wish you all the best with your training!
Go in, enjoy the dream, look after each-other, and I’ll see you in the not too distant future! :D

Congratulations again!
 

EastMidsMatt

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2017
Messages
144
For those of you starting on the March course tomorrow, I’d like to wish you all the best with your training!
Go in, enjoy the dream, look after each-other, and I’ll see you in the not too distant future! :D

Congratulations again!
Cheers Mr Ikea.

It's finally happening and I think most of us are feeling very lucky. We've formed a tight group already and I'm sure we'll all be looking out for each other as the next few months roll on.

See you soon mate and good luck to the rest of you chancers!
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Good luck to the new starters for tomorrow! Hope to be in your shoes one day.
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
I think we'll hear Wednesday or Thursday. It had better be this week at any rate! :lol: Doubt I could take another weekend of not knowing, a long one at that!

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Hope EastMidsMatt got on all right today.
 

EastMidsMatt

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2017
Messages
144
I think we'll hear Wednesday or Thursday. It had better be this week at any rate! :lol: Doubt I could take another weekend of not knowing, a long one at that!

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Hope EastMidsMatt got on all right today.
Any news on the interviews??

It was great thanks! The induction is now over and everybody is really friendly, tomorrow is the first day of the 9 week rules and regs training. Eyes down, look in...
 

Amanda

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2018
Messages
197
Yeah, just got an e-mail this morning. I didn't make the cut. So, it's not to be for me this time.

Fingers crossed for the rest of you!
 

EastMidsMatt

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2017
Messages
144
Yeah, just got an e-mail this morning. I didn't make the cut. So, it's not to be for me this time.

Fingers crossed for the rest of you!
Aaww that's a shame. Keep at it, this was a practice go, you'll get it next time! Stay positive!
 

Clive0121

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
18
I also received the dreaded email this morning that I won’t be progressing to state two, gutted, good luck to the rest of you who get there
 

Dynamonic

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2013
Messages
648
Location
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear you didn’t get through this time Amanda and Clive0121. :frown:
As EastMidsMatt has already said, you’ll be in a great position next time you go for it. I failed the Stage 2 Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) on my last attempt a few years ago, so I know what it feels like to get this close.

The important thing is that you try and get the feedback from your interview if available as it may prove very handy as you prepare for your next attempt.

Of course, the most important thing to do now is don’t give up!!!
Have a break to try and better yourself by all means but definitely try again in the near future if you really want to be a driver! :D


Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear! :)
 
Joined
7 Oct 2015
Messages
590
Sorry to hear you didn’t get through this time Amanda and Clive0121. :frown:
As EastMidsMatt has already said, you’ll be in a great position next time you go for it. I failed the Stage 2 Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) on my last attempt a few years ago, so I know what it feels like to get this close.

The important thing is that you try and get the feedback from your interview if available as it may prove very handy as you prepare for your next attempt.

Of course, the most important thing to do now is don’t give up!!!
Have a break to try and better yourself by all means but definitely try again in the near future if you really want to be a driver! :D


Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear! :)

Took me three years, the assessments twice (passed both times), three dm interviews, and several hundred hours of study and practice for interviews and assessments. Of course there are others who just rock it first time. Don't give up, and certainly don't stop reading all the threads on these forums. Save your answers to questions on a computer and keep updating and tweaking them so they are perfect and ready for the next time a job is advertised.
 

Clive0121

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
18
Thank you guys I certainly won’t give up, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for this opportunity arising again, I know that’ll probably be a lengthy wait but I certainly won’t give up, would I lose a life as it wasn’t actually a test I failed on just the DMI?
 

Dynamonic

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2013
Messages
648
Location
Nottinghamshire
As it was the DMI you were unsuccessful at, your lives are intact. :)
EMT currently have a two-year validity period for your Stage One tests, so if they don’t increase their Enhanced standard and you reapply within two years, it should hopefully be straight to Stage 2 for you, next time. (That group assessment you did)

As Spankthemonkey mentioned, write down all your questions whilst they’re fresh in your mind, as chances are, you’ll encounter them again.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top