• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train ticketing question - Yeovil (YVP) to Bristol (BRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcoppard

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2010
Messages
48
Hi,

I am looking at getting some train tickets for Sat 6th Nov on First Great Western service from Weymouth to Gloucester, starting from Yeovil Pen Mill (YVP) and going to Bristol Temple Meads (BRI). However, it has been suggested that Bath Spa (BTH) may also contain some shops that we want to visit that are not available in Bristol which would be taken on the outward journey, with the return from BRI to YVP without a break. Would a YVP to BRI ticket SDR return (leaving at 7:30, so would this be on or off peak?) be OK for both journeys, I.e could we technically break the journey at Bath Spa (I fail to understand the rules on a break - although understand they technically shouldn't be used like this?). So, would this work? If so, and the barriers at Bath gobble up the ticket would we have a leg to stand on to get them back? If this wouldn't work, why not? Surely if I wanted to smoke I would have to leave Bath Spa (which is allowed?).

Hope somebody could give an insight?

Many thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
(leaving at 7:30, so would this be on or off peak?)

I can't help you with the rest of your question (but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can). However I can tell you that all weekend is considered off-peak.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
An off peak day return to Bristol TM is £14.10, and since it is the weekend restriction M1 doesn't apply (basically means that it is only valid after 08.15 Mon - Fri. You can also break your journey on both the outward and return leg if you wish to do so. A break of journey means leaving the station, so you could get off anywhere in between and not leave the station and technically you haven't broken your journey.

What you might find is that the barriers at Bath reject the ticket - but explain to whoever is manning them you are breaking your journey and they'll let you through.
 

adamcoppard

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2010
Messages
48
So, to clarify I go to the ticket office and just ask for a return for the day to BRI, and then get off at Bath Spa? Is the ticket barrier refusing the ticket a certainty? If it accepts and takes, where do I stand? Will the staff quibble with it or something they have to do? Are there any restrictions to when I can go back through Bath?

To add another question which is more for reference, could I get off at Bath, travel a station up the line and get back on, for whatever reason?

P.S: Is there any technicality on breaking a journey, i.e can I break a journey for this purpose, or is it a loophole?
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Advantix said:
5. Break of journey is permitted on both outward and return portions of Off-Peak Day and GroupSave Day tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's_validity code.

Yes, just buy the Yeovil - Bristol ticket as normal, then if you want to get off at Bath then you are allowed to do so. I've never been to Bath myself so can't say with absolute certainty that the ticket will be rejected but at other stations with barriers my ticket has been rejected by the barrier when I've broken my journey. Just tell the person on the barrier that you are breaking your journey and need to be let through the barrier.

For the second question I'm guessing you mean getting off at Bath, walking/bus/cycle to the next station and getting back on? Yes that seems fine to me on this ticket. You shouldn't have any problems with that.

Note that it only applies to this ticket, if you buy another ticket or on a different day there might be retrictions on that ticket which don't allow break of journey (normally advances) or can't be used at certain times.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum :) You don't need the 'Standard' return, now called Anytime Day Return (but retaining the code SDR), as has been mentioned previously all weekend is off peak so the Off Peak Day Return (CDR - formerly Cheap Day Return) is valid, at £14.10. There is no problem with breaking your journey en route. If you do this on a weekday, the CDR is valid from 0815 on the outward portion, and any train back.

The 3-letter code for Bristol Temple Meads, is BRI, as it is the main Bristol station (similarly Liverpool Lime St is LIV).

Three-letter codes for ticket types and station names are not always obvious. They can be used providing they are correct. The codes are accepted on all major ticket booking sites, live departure boards, all decent journey planners, Avantix Traveller software, Stations made easy, ticket machines and so on. But enter the wrong code and you could end up with a ticket to the wrong place.
 

adamcoppard

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2010
Messages
48
Cheers for the information, yep, I realised the mistake about the station code as soon as I typed it. Thanks for the help guys. One of the best forums for help I've encountered recently.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
You can buy tickets on the day. If the ticket office is closed (it should be open at that time) you can buy on board at the same price. There is no advantage to buying in advance. The Weymouth-Gloucester trains are not reservable. If you buy in advance and change your mind and decide not to travel, an admin fee of £10 applies per ticket.
 

adamcoppard

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2010
Messages
48
Have just been thinking - if we get checked before Bath Spa and the conductor bothers to doodle on the ticket / punch it / any other method of defacing it, where does this leave me as to any argument over "Sir, you've already used this ticket earlier today..." Do I need to inform the conductor aboard, therefore, that I intend to break the journey?
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Just tell the next conductor that your broke your journey and you will be fine. Most FGW staff use stampers which imprint the date and service you travelled on which would back up your story that you had broken your journey. Regarding barriers, I have never had a problem when breaking my journey and I can't remember a time when the barriers haven't accepted my ticket, however if they don't you can just ask the staff to let you through.
 

adamcoppard

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2010
Messages
48
Another question I have though of: on resuming the journey can I take any train between Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads that fit with my ticket and NRCoC or does it have to be one that has gone through YVP?
 

adamcoppard

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2010
Messages
48
I now appear to be needing to take this journey again, but over peak times, so other than the extra £5.90 I give to be standing to Bath Spa ;) can I still break my journey as it's peak time (it will be Monday 20th December). I will be resuming after peak times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top