Gareth Marston
Established Member
I had a bad experience of freight running in front for a long distance yesterday (Thursday 19th) and holding up the passenger train I was on.
I intended to catch the 1505 to Manchester Piccadily from Newport to Shrewsbury but had no chance of boarding the 2 Car 175 along with around 30 other people also unable too. The cause being the Green Man festival nr Abergavenny, plenty of rucksacks added to the problems. This left Newport 9 mins late. I managed to get aboard the following 1534 to Holyhead again a 2 car ATW Class 175, again we were late off Newport due to gross overcrowding. We then had a noticeably slow run to Cwmbran and more extended station dwell and likewise at Pontypool and New Inn as the Conductor gave passengers a chance to fight there way to the doors. Then at Little Mill Jnc we came to a halt for a few minutes at the signals. It was now obvious something slow was in front of us.
Extended dwell at Abergavenny as the throng disembarked and then we waited for a few minutes and the Conductor came on the tannoy to explain that there was " a freight train in front of us". Nothing in loop at Pontrilas nor on the Hereford relief lines and no sign of anything at Moreton on Lugg. We departed Leominster and then got stuck at the signals for a couple of minutes. I missed Wooferton as I went to the toilet and we had a clear run to Shrewsbury arriving 1544 some 29 minutes late. So presumably the freight looped at Wooferton. I stayed on platforms at Shrewsbury until 1830 but saw no freights come off the Hereford line. The WAG Express came through a couple of minutes late with the trolleys that couldn't get on at Newport in its guards van.
Anyone have any ides what I was stuck behind and why it was seen fit to turn it out in front of a long distance passenger working across the length of two county's (Monmouthshire & Herefordshire)?
I didn't see anything come through Newport station so presume it came across the Maindee curve from East to North.
I intended to catch the 1505 to Manchester Piccadily from Newport to Shrewsbury but had no chance of boarding the 2 Car 175 along with around 30 other people also unable too. The cause being the Green Man festival nr Abergavenny, plenty of rucksacks added to the problems. This left Newport 9 mins late. I managed to get aboard the following 1534 to Holyhead again a 2 car ATW Class 175, again we were late off Newport due to gross overcrowding. We then had a noticeably slow run to Cwmbran and more extended station dwell and likewise at Pontypool and New Inn as the Conductor gave passengers a chance to fight there way to the doors. Then at Little Mill Jnc we came to a halt for a few minutes at the signals. It was now obvious something slow was in front of us.
Extended dwell at Abergavenny as the throng disembarked and then we waited for a few minutes and the Conductor came on the tannoy to explain that there was " a freight train in front of us". Nothing in loop at Pontrilas nor on the Hereford relief lines and no sign of anything at Moreton on Lugg. We departed Leominster and then got stuck at the signals for a couple of minutes. I missed Wooferton as I went to the toilet and we had a clear run to Shrewsbury arriving 1544 some 29 minutes late. So presumably the freight looped at Wooferton. I stayed on platforms at Shrewsbury until 1830 but saw no freights come off the Hereford line. The WAG Express came through a couple of minutes late with the trolleys that couldn't get on at Newport in its guards van.
Anyone have any ides what I was stuck behind and why it was seen fit to turn it out in front of a long distance passenger working across the length of two county's (Monmouthshire & Herefordshire)?
I didn't see anything come through Newport station so presume it came across the Maindee curve from East to North.