• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Noise heard a long way from the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,316
I used to live in Busby and could hear the 156s and horns . In edinburgh i can hear the south sub horns from Causewayside . I live in EK ( Stewartfield nr Morrisons) and struggle to hear anything from the line.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
Not away from the line, but I remember catching the Highland Sleeper at Pitlochry and hearing it trundling through the valley for ages before it got to Pitlochry.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
I live during uni term times about 20m away from the line. Can hear Voyagers, 158s and 66s etc. Luckily the desiros are fairly quiet.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
That must be awesome. Go do some ear-trainspotting!

I live right next to a railway, thankfully. I make sure to never be too far away from the trains!
 

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Joined
7 Sep 2005
Messages
1,787
Location
Loughborough
I live just over a mile across open fields from the MML, so can often hear trains when it's quiet at night, and also horns if engineering work is on. Some very still nights I can also hear planes on the ground at East Midlands Airport which is about 5 miles away (and can nearly always hear the roar when anything big takes off).
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I live 2 miles from the line through Droitwich Spa yet I can always hear the horn from the trains. Due to the placement of the whistle boards in the south of Droitwich Spa, you hear the horn, then 5 seconds later, the quiet woosh as a diesel engine goes down the line. Because the trains are so often (about 5-10 mins) you often hear two-tones; also I have learned to identify which train is going by because I hear them so much. Usually it's sprinters (150) or turbostars (170) - occasionally I hear a 66 or a HST (I guess it's the NR measurement train).
Charter trains run a occasionally so you can hear 37s or 47 horns, or in very rare occasions, a steam whistle!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Where I live, I can hear trains when they use their horns on both the ECML and the NVR despite not living close to either.
 

jontylol

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2010
Messages
11
I live about 20m from a line. Most things passing are the T&W metro services so you can barely hear it. But you do hear the lovely 142s passing and the Grand Central trains. And every so often a nice freight train :D
 
Joined
9 Apr 2011
Messages
317
Location
Over there
Sorry to come over all technical and nerdy now, but given certain atmospheric conditions, it is amazing how far sound will carry. Usually, a very light wind from the desired direction is helpful, but at night with few other sounds to interfere noisy trains ought to be heard from up to 5 miles away.

I have heard Deltics on the ECML climbing Stoke Bank from this distance, and Westerns accelerating away from Reading station from just as far away.

During the day it is not unusual for sound to carry uphill on warm air currents, especially if the sun is shining. I remember being about 1000ft up a hill in the Lake District one hot day and hearing the noises of people in a camp site at the foot of the hill as clear as anything.

But the most amazing sound event (non railway - sadly) I have experienced, was an early morning on Brean Down, just south of Weston Super Mare. There was a light northwesterly wind and from the direction of South Wales I could hear the almost continuous sound of traffic, especially lorries which seemed to be going uphill.

After a while satisfying myself I was not going mad, or misinterpreting sounds from the M5 in almost the opposite direction, I concluded what I could actually hear was the M4 near Newport which must be about 12-15 miles away in a straight line over the Bristol Channel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top