• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train drivers offered pay rise in bid to end strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,576
Location
Taunton or Kent
Apparently the RDG have received a revised mandate from Government to use in talks tomorrow, but for once the details are being kept confidential before talks.

(Can't source link as on mobile)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainSpy

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2021
Messages
28
Location
Uk
In that case they would be, but many companies have got rid when that wouldn't have been the case.
Schemes have been closed on the back of cost valuations which often differ considerably depending on the agenda of people doing them.
A more direct reason for them becoming less sustainable is that the funds have to sustain pensioners for longer. In the 1970s average life expectancy was about 68, compared to something like 80 today. So that's - say - 8 years of payments in 1970 and 20 today. we can argue the detail about whether that is ultimately affordable or not, but you can see the disparity between the two positions

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

BBC reporting RDG will make another offer due to receiving a new mandate from government







Edit this is to RMT and TSSA talks with ASLEF are further behind apparently.
Yes - Steve Montgomery at RDG was talking about it in the Trasnport Select Committee earlier

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

"We urge ASLEF to work with us," yet haven't actually had the decency to sit down and have a meeting and actually make a formal offer.


ASLEF General Secretary Mick Wheelan says:
Montgomery was rather diplomatic over who was to blame for the lack of negotiating time at the Transport Select Committee this morning. O course he could be spouting nonsense, but he made it clear there were multiple attempts to try and meet, but none of the happened as they were;'t available.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
Apparently the RDG have received a revised mandate from Government to use in talks tomorrow, but for once the details are being kept confidential before talks.

(Can't source link as on mobile)

Not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing. Totally lost trust & faith in the RDG.
 

mandub

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2013
Messages
204
Is this really how it works at the moment? Its not based on whether someone can demonstrate they're competent along a particular route, just that they've carried out 15 day's of route learning?
Dunno about other TOC's.
At mine it's a fixed minimum number of trips over a route, not a fixed number of days.
The number of trips required for each route is risk assessed (I assume by the TOC driver standards team) based on the length and complexity of the routes etc.
After completing the minimum number of trips (you can ask for more trips if you feel you need them), you then drive the route while being assessed by a driver manager who decides if you are competent and can now sign that route
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
Dunno about other TOC's.
At mine it's a fixed minimum number of trips over a route, not a fixed number of days.
The number of trips required for each route is risk assessed (I assume by the TOC driver standards team) based on the length and complexity of the routes etc

Our DMs & others permitted to drive have to cover all routes at least every 6 months & must complete at least 2 hours of driving monthly.
 

CAF397

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2010
Messages
1,095
Location
Lancashire
Which is shocking really. I'd not be happy only driving for 2 hours a month over a line I've not driven over for nearly 6 months. And yet Driver Managers do this, and then assess us drivers.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
Which is shocking really. I'd not be happy only driving for 2 hours a month over a line I've not driven over for nearly 6 months. And yet Driver Managers do this, and then assess us drivers.

I suppose they assess us so are often in the cabs anyway. Also remember we might not go over a route for months but as long as it’s not more than six then we do not need to put in for a refresher. It’s all been agreed with the LDC and they are as accountable as us when it comes to auditing.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,576
Location
Taunton or Kent
Not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing. Totally lost trust & faith in the RDG.
On this occasion I'd say it's a good thing, after leaking the ASLEF deal on Friday ahead of talks effectively undermined them. Doesn't necessarily mean though that will comes out of the talks will be good.
 

TrainSpy

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2021
Messages
28
Location
Uk
Dunno about other TOC's.
At mine it's a fixed minimum number of trips over a route, not a fixed number of days.
The number of trips required for each route is risk assessed (I assume by the TOC driver standards team) based on the length and complexity of the routes etc.
After completing the minimum number of trips (you can ask for more trips if you feel you need them), you then drive the route while being assessed by a driver manager who decides if you are competent and can now sign that route
Gotcha - thanks! That seems bonkers to me - we go on about safety being the priority yet competence from a route learning perspective is essentially assumed rather than assessed?
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Gotcha - thanks! That seems bonkers to me - we go on about safety being the priority yet competence from a route learning perspective is essentially assumed rather than assessed?

No, it’s assessed not assumed.

I’m going through route learning at the moment and I know that at the end of the process there will be an assessed drive, during which time I may be expected to give a route commentary in addition to any questions the assessor may ask, as well as a written question paper. If I fail to satisfy the assessor that I have reached the necessary level of competency I will be given additional time and assessed again at the end of that.

Where I work, each route has it’s own tariff of days allocated to learning it based on the length and complexity of the route, but exactly how I utilise that time is up to me. I’ve a pretty good idea what I want and need to do and can divide my time between actually driving the route and studying the associated material. But at the end of this time I still have to satisfy an assessor that I have attained the required level of competence.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Is this really how it works at the moment? Its not based on whether someone can demonstrate they're competent along a particular route, just that they've carried out 15 day's of route learning?

Each route has a timescale allotted to it for the purposes of route learning, based on the complexity of the route and other factors. If no timescale was defined, a driver could potentially string out route learning for as long as they wanted... hardly cost effective.

Obviously an assessment is planned for the last allotted day of route learning and if any more time is required due to deficiencies in route knowledge then that is arranged as necessary.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
I’m pointing out to you that on the TOC side at least, staff with committed Sundays don’t turn up for them every single week and are never disciplined for it.
I think you're misunderstanding the point being made.

I'm sure that you're absolutely correct that some operators choose not to take any action in these cases. However, if the contract provides for a requirement to work on particular Sundays, then if such a Sunday isn't worked without agreement, or another provision such as illness applying, the employee could still face consequences for breaking their contract.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The problem comes when the cost of the pension scheme exceeds the profits. Then comes bankruptcy, the current employees lose their jobs and the pensioners potentially lose their pensions.
Pensioners probably wouldn't lose their entire pension because it is guaranteed by the regulator.

However, they may face unfavourable changes to the scheme's payments. And if course there would be no new contributions possible.
 

TrainSpy

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2021
Messages
28
Location
Uk
No, it’s assessed not assumed.

I’m going through route learning at the moment and I know that at the end of the process there will be an assessed drive, during which time I may be expected to give a route commentary in addition to any questions the assessor may ask, as well as a written question paper. If I fail to satisfy the assessor that I have reached the necessary level of competency I will be given additional time and assessed again at the end of that.

Where I work, each route has it’s own tariff of days allocated to learning it based on the length and complexity of the route, but exactly how I utilise that time is up to me. I’ve a pretty good idea what I want and need to do and can divide my time between actually driving the route and studying the associated material. But at the end of this time I still have to satisfy an assessor that I have attained the required level of competence.
Also helpful - thank you! So I know this is a silly question - if it is assessed already, how is what is being proposed different? Is it just the removal of those tariff days - and if so why is that an issue if you still have to show competence through the same assessment? Thanks in advance!!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Each route has a timescale allotted to it for the purposes of route learning, based on the complexity of the route and other factors. If no timescale was defined, a driver could potentially string out route learning for as long as they wanted... hardly cost effective.

Obviously an assessment is planned for the last allotted day of route learning and if any more time is required due to deficiencies in route knowledge then that is arranged as necessary.

I assume the company's think the opposite is true - that lots of people would be competent faster? Which seems to make sense, as for the tariff days to work they would have to be set at the pace of the slowest learners, rather than the fastest. It makes little difference for the slowest as they'd get the extra time if they failed the assessment under the current arrangements anyway
 
Last edited:

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Even if true, that's hardly "exactly right" - @DanNCL said "days later", that's a pretty big difference and I think that matters when we're talking about it. Completely agree there was no opportunity for any sensible discussion of it. They say the offer was made at 1518 - rather precise, and hardly "late in the day"...

The overall point is that this offer has been awaited for months (my TOC was notified of being in dispute with ASLEF as of mid last year), and then this blanket “offer” is suddenly made late on a Friday afternoon, and sent to the media simultaneously.

Anyone who has ever done any kind of 9-5 office job thinks of 1518 on a Friday as quite late for anything major to happen, when people are disappearing off for the weekend. This was entirely tactical.

Probably not, but it's a tactic used by unions when announcing strike dates, for example. My point is not to condone the practice, but to acknowledge that unreasonableness comes both ways.

Hardly the same, is it? If strike dates are announced that has little to do with negotiation (it means it has failed), and it’s surely beneficial for the public to know strike dates ASAP. How is that unreasonable?

I have (more than the two particular TOC NRCs quote in the stuff they've circulated). None of them prohibit local negotiation. What makes discussion difficult is that in the current system is that TOCs are responsible to the DfT for changes to budget - as they have been for the past 2 and a half years. The politicisation of the discussions certainly make it difficult.

It seems you’ve either missed the bits regarding industrial action (or are trying to obfuscate?).

I’m not going to go into chapter and verse here because it’s too laborious, but the net result is that any dispute is required to be notified to the Secretary of State, with whom the operator must then agree how it is to be dealt with. This is why it’s so laughable that those occupying the office of Secretary of State have repeatedly claimed that negotiations are nothing to do with them.

The net result of these agreements is that TOCs have no effective ability to negotiate locally to resolve disputes with the unions. This position well known throughout all quarters of the industry, so I’m unsure why you seem to be suggesting otherwise?

A fair distinction to make, but the doc has their logo on it, and I haven't seen a fuss made about it until now.

The “fuss” (by which I assume you mean unions noticing that no negotiation is being allowed) has been going on for many months.

as for the tariff days to work they would have to be set at the pace of the slowest learners, rather than the fastest.

Not the case - they’re set around an average and often people need more. The risk of not having a guaranteed minimum number of trips/hours is that people might be rushed through and potentially signed off when not competent. The agreed number also benefits the TOC by providing a benchmark by which questions can be asked if someone does need longer (ie is there a question around capability, have they been taking the training seriously etc) .

Exactly the same reasons underpin why a trainee driver needs a minimum number of hours before they are eligible for assessment.

It’s pointless, petty meddling with a system that has been proven to work well.
 
Last edited:

KM1991

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
229
RMT TOC members will be offered a new deal tomorrow. It’s expected that DOO will be dropped and a small increase on the 4% + 4% (expecting 5+5) will be offered. Looks like we could be on the verge of a genuine breakthrough tomorrow.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
RMT TOC members will be offered a new deal tomorrow. It’s expected that DOO will be dropped and a small increase on the 4% + 4% (expecting 5+5) will be offered. Looks like we could be on the verge of a genuine breakthrough tomorrow.

If that’s the case, that will be a massive breakthrough. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: before getting too excited, is there any kind of source for this?!
 
Last edited:

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,749
I heard similar rumours over the weekend from a well informed source. Suggestion was that DOO will be dropped, there will be some tweeking to other proposed changes, and possibly a tweeking to the pay - either an increase in the %, or the addition of a base minimum increase (i.e. x% or £y, whichever is greater) which would benefit the lower paid grades more.
 

KM1991

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
229
If that’s the case, that will be a massive breakthrough. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: before getting too excited, is there any kind of source for this?!

BBC reporting that the RDG have been given a revised mandate from treasury. I’m guessing Steve Montgomery of the RDG confirmed at the transport committee earlier.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
I heard similar rumours over the weekend from a well informed source. Suggestion was that DOO will be dropped, there will be some tweeking to other proposed changes, and possibly a tweeking to the pay - either an increase in the %, or the addition of a base minimum increase (i.e. x% or £y, whichever is greater) which would benefit the lower paid grades more.

I genuinely hope so.

If so I suppose it exposes what many of us have suspected: blanket DOO was never included as a serious proposal, but was a tactic to delay a deal and make whatever remains on the table when it is withdrawn look better.

Nonetheless it would be great to see some positive steps forward on the TOC side. Hopefully the ASLEF negotiations can now start to progress more positively.


BBC reporting that the RDG have been given a revised mandate from treasury. I’m guessing Steve Montgomery of the RDG confirmed at the transport committee earlier.

Thanks.
 

Thirteen

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
1,904
Location
London
I assume the RMT NR deal will go back to the members either with tweaks or without any recommendations.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,576
Location
Taunton or Kent
RMT TOC members will be offered a new deal tomorrow. It’s expected that DOO will be dropped and a small increase on the 4% + 4% (expecting 5+5) will be offered. Looks like we could be on the verge of a genuine breakthrough tomorrow.
If that's true then I'm very surprised that the Government went for that, despite the RMT being of less interest to them out of all the disputes in the country right now.
 

KM1991

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
229
If that's true then I'm very surprised that the Government went for that, despite the RMT being of less interest to them out of all the disputes in the country right now.
Rail strikes have so far cost the government between £320,000,000 and £500,000,000. And that’s without counting the cost of these strikes to the economy as a whole. It’s unsustainable and ultimately unjustifiable to the tax payer for the government to deliberately keep this dragging on.
 

Towers

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2021
Messages
3,021
Location
UK
Rail strikes have so far cost the government between £320,000,000 and £500,000,000. And that’s without counting the cost of these strikes to the economy as a whole. It’s unsustainable and ultimately unjustifiable to the tax payer for the government to deliberately keep this dragging on.
Yes but who's told the government that?! :D

Harper appeared on Peston last night repeating the usual "it's between the TOCs and unions" bare faced lie, so this news just hours later does come as a surprise. Maybe nobody had told him!
 

Simon11

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
1,389
RMT TOC members will be offered a new deal tomorrow. It’s expected that DOO will be dropped and a small increase on the 4% + 4% (expecting 5+5) will be offered. Looks like we could be on the verge of a genuine breakthrough tomorrow.
Assuming this is what is being offered…

Is that it? 1% extra for each year.

How many strike days were there? Back of a packet calculations show that it will take a year or two for members to get their money back that was lost during the strikes on still a poor increase compared to inflation.

Interesting to see how this pans out!
 

bengley

Established Member
Joined
18 May 2008
Messages
1,987
Assuming this is what is being offered…

Is that it? 1% extra for each year.

How many strike days were there? Back of a packet calculations show that it will take a year or two for members to get their money back that was lost during the strikes on still a poor increase compared to inflation.

Interesting to see how this pans out!
I don't really follow this logic of 'x time to get the money back from the strikes'. People work overtime and cut costs to adjust to the loss of earnings through strikes then as soon as a deal is offered, they get a nice lump of backpay and immediately start to enjoy the increased wage in the bank every month.
 

KM1991

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
229
Assuming this is what is being offered…

Is that it? 1% extra for each year.

How many strike days were there? Back of a packet calculations show that it will take a year or two for members to get their money back that was lost during the strikes on still a poor increase compared to inflation.

Interesting to see how this pans out!
You are correct, it’s going to be a choice for each individual to make. Not everyone has sacrificed the same amount due to rostering and rest days. Personally I have started to notice quite a bit of industrial action fatigue in my workplace, which would go in favour of voting for this deal. The lump sum of a years backdated pay will help too.

Members have fought for 6 months from the 2% + 1% offer on the table before the first strikes were called to a potential 5% + 5% being offered today.

Do I think we could get an extra % on top of the potential offer today if we continue industrial action? I’m not so sure anymore.
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,278
Yes but who's told the government that?! :D

Harper appeared on Peston last night repeating the usual "it's between the TOCs and unions" bare faced lie, so this news just hours later does come as a surprise. Maybe nobody had told him!

I suspect he has been told but he has another potential worry if he admits it. That means the Government becomes the effective employer as, in law, they could be classed as the “duty of care” holder, irrespective of who actually pays the staff.

That would open up the possibility of equal pay claims, dating right back to March 2020! If I were the Unions, that would be my “nuclear” option. Equal pay claims are a very lucrative industry for the legal profession, with a number of specialist lawyers in that field.
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,363
Not rubbish. Certainly on GWR, not a single driver has been disciplined for not turning up for their "overtime " Sunday. How can you possibly discipline someone who refuses to work overtime?!
You'll be able to correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it the case that "GWR" drivers, ie the grade that new starters go onto, have Sundays inside the working week? And that just the remaining "HSS" (former FGW high speed) drivers have Sunday outside?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top