• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

train dispatcher job OPC results timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
hi applied for first great Western train dispatcher and gateline staff.passed the first online test 3 weeks ago.the one with 20 questions about the best and least likely response to give.
then I did an opc online test 10 days ago about multi tasking where it's 27 questions in 3 seconds each about correct train departure and customer questions about train route at same time
I have heard nothing back.what happens now, cos if it's that slow I'll just take a job driving buses which I used to do
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LokiB

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2020
Messages
267
Location
Leeds
Railway recruitment can be a very drawn out procedure taking many months and often years depending on the role.
3 weeks without hearing is honestly not that long.
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
but if the person has resigned or put in thei months notice.then they will have to find a new gateline dispatcher asap. hence the tests in selecting the new person will have to be done and checked fast.
first gwr were fast at replying to my first online test.its this second OPC online test I took that is taking time for the results
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
but if the person has resigned or put in thei months notice.then they will have to find a new gateline dispatcher asap. hence the tests in selecting the new person will have to be done and checked fast.
first gwr were fast at replying to my first online test.its this second OPC online test I took that is taking time for the results

That might seem logical, but there's normally quite small recruitment teams dealing with this, so it might be that team is just short for a while. This happens regularly.

The last test you did was 10 days ago; that really isn't very long, so be patient. You're still in the process until you're told you are not.
 

MJN11

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2019
Messages
38
hi applied for first great Western train dispatcher and gateline staff.passed the first online test 3 weeks ago.the one with 20 questions about the best and least likely response to give.
then I did an opc online test 10 days ago about multi tasking where it's 27 questions in 3 seconds each about correct train departure and customer questions about train route at same time
I have heard nothing back.what happens now, cos if it's that slow I'll just take a job driving buses which I used to do
I did the same tests as you (assuming it was the TDMT) and heard back in a few days. This can vary due to number of applicants, scores and other factors such as overall application you’ve submitted (there has been times where I’ve passed online testing with GWR but haven’t been shortlisted for the interview stage). I wouldn’t stress unless you’ve heard back. Sometimes no news is good news
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
I would say out if the 27 questions.i got the train departure sequence right 23 times.missed 4 times to respond in time.and got about 22 the customer questions right about train routes.2 times wrong and 3 times never responded in time.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

the other test I did 3 weeks ago was 20 questions with most and least likely answers for scenarios in the station . I failed it 4 yes ago but it was the same questions.so I knew what not to put down. prob how I passed.
 
Last edited:

MJN11

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2019
Messages
38
I would say out if the 27 questions.i got the train departure sequence right 23 times.missed 4 times to respond in time.and got about 22 the customer questions right about train routes.2 times wrong and 3 times never responded in time.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

the other test I did 3 weeks ago was 20 questions with most and least likely answers for scenarios in the station . I failed it 4 yes ago but it was the same questions.so I knew what not to put down. prob how I passed.
That’s not bad although it’s ideal to get both the dispatch sequence/passenger questions correct they do state to prioritise getting the sequence right over the passenger ones
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
don't think I ever got the sequence wrong.just ran out of time on 4 occasions

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

got email saying I passed the tdmt test and now will get an email to set up a zoom or face to face interview.then another email to arrange the time.
any top tips guys. it said my tdmt is valid for 3 years.
I logged on to my update on first group jobs and it says 6 updates but it's not showing this update,but it is showing a box with today's date ,but nothing to click on.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I wonder if the emails it says exist are the ones I can only open in my Hotmail account. but there are 4 other older emails that I can open on my progress report on the first group website

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

any advice,what happens next
 
Last edited:

MJN11

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2019
Messages
38
don't think I ever got the sequence wrong.just ran out of time on 4 occasions

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

got email saying I passed the tdmt test and now will get an email to set up a zoom or face to face interview.then another email to arrange the time.
any top tips guys. it said my tdmt is valid for 3 years.
I logged on to my update on first group jobs and it says 6 updates but it's not showing this update,but it is showing a box with today's date ,but nothing to click on.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I wonder if the emails it says exist are the ones I can only open in my Hotmail account. but there are 4 other older emails that I can open on my progress report on the first group website

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

any advice,what happens next
You’ll be emailed with timings and dates for your interview
 

John2108

New Member
Joined
5 Nov 2023
Messages
1
Location
London
hi applied for first great Western train dispatcher and gateline staff.passed the first online test 3 weeks ago.the one with 20 questions about the best and least likely response to give.
then I did an opc online test 10 days ago about multi tasking where it's 27 questions in 3 seconds each about correct train departure and customer questions about train route at same time
I have heard nothing back.what happens now, cos if it's that slow I'll just take a job driving buses which I used to do
I am pissed, was completing the OPC VSE assessment then my laptop randomly restarted…..now I can’t do the assessment anymore
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
got a face to face interview now on Dec 12. at my station where job is, they only offered one date and a choice of 6 times.i hope there are only 6 final candidates

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

got a face to face interview now on Dec 12. at my station where job is, they only offered one date and a choice of 6 times.i hope there are only 6 final candidates
they say if I fail to attend ,they won't give me a second chance.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I have watched how to pass the GWR interview on youtube
 
Last edited:

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
had my interview.it was what I was expecting it to be . nothing caught me out. but I had questions at end about training. they said it is Swindon then at designated station after it, if I'm right they said 4 days in Swindon. not sure if I understood if that was right and how long at designated station.they said I would be covering sickness, days off and holidays in my rota. at numerous stations in the county he said I waa to use my car with the £4000 allowance or use TRAIN if I could get to a shift that didn't start early for finish late.im but worried as I have an old car and can't afford a new super reliable one.they never wanted to see birth certificate, driving licence, passport or national insurance number. I asked someone else about that. he said it's only the successful person that had to show that later if they are chosen. they said they hey would email everyone by the end of next week if they got the job or not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
had my interview.it was what I was expecting it to be . nothing caught me out. but I had questions at end about training. they said it is Swindon then at designated station after it, if I'm right they said 4 days in Swindon. not sure if I understood if that was right and how long at designated station.they said I would be covering sickness, days off and holidays in my rota. at numerous stations in the county he said I waa to use my car with the £4000 allowance or use TRAIN if I could get to a shift that didn't start early for finish late.im but worried as I have an old car and can't afford a new super reliable one.they never wanted to see birth certificate, driving licence, passport or national insurance number. I asked someone else about that. he said it's only the successful person that had to show that later if they are chosen. they said they hey would email everyone by the end of next week if they got the job or not.

Normally GWR training takes places at a few locations around the network and Swindon is one, so yes it would be there probably in a hotel for a few days.

Sounds like you are in a GPR (General Purpose Relief) station grade which does coverage for a range of locations. Normally there's an additional premium for the inconvenience of not knowing the location/timings of your shifts far in advance.

And yes normally ID checks only come after a successful interview and a conditional offer is made.
 

Robert27

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2021
Messages
11
Location
Falmouth
Yes it's a GPR role, also had my interview today too, was as expected, did freeze on one question but they were happy to go back to that question at the end. They did check my passport etc at the end of the interview, however not sure.what to read in to that as it stated on the interview invitation to bring these with you.
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
I don't get it either. if Id checks were told in an email to make sure you bring your documents. then none were checked when I got my interview. and the norm is only to check if you get the job offer
then, I have no idea why they checked your id. I'm bamboozled
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
1130am, I may email GWR recruitment and ask why no id checks.I just sent them an email asking why, despite them insisting I had to or the interview couldn't commence.
 
Last edited:

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
My interview was at 11am so I may well have seen you as I left the station
yes, you may have done. i was sitting on the metal seats inside next to the self service ticket machine from 1115 to 1130.
.but I'm still confused why you got asked for ID and I didn't
as I went back in for help after interview at station and said to staff I never got asked for ID. they said it's ok .it's not needed at this point.

i hope there is an innocent explanation why I didn't get asked for id and you did., if we both went for the same job.
 
Last edited:

Robert27

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2021
Messages
11
Location
Falmouth
Unsure if you've heard yourself, but I've got an email this morning stating that I was unsuccessful at interview
yes, you may have done. i was sitting on the metal seats inside next to the self service ticket machine from 1115 to 1130.
.but I'm still confused why you got asked for ID and I didn't
as I went back in for help after interview at station and said to staff I never got asked for ID. they said it's ok .it's not needed at this point.

i hope there is an innocent explanation why I didn't get asked for id and you did., if we both went for the same job.
 

cornishguy

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
18
Location
uk
bad luck mate,just looked, I was unsuccessful as well..not nice, guess it's the buses for me. the thing I wasn't too sure of, is when I was told I would be covering stations up to 30 miles away.i thought that I would be using the train to these stations, not my car.i thought the £4000 allowance was to cover all the extra own traveling time it took you to get to the stations before you actually started your shift as the main employment station was 10 min walk for me. the interviewer said I could use train only if I could get a train that got me to work on time..I said ok. as I have my own car anyway.
I spent a lot of time preparing for interview, I never got stuck at any questions, researched the company and the job demands ,before interview.
I think it's buses for me, local depot, £32500 ,40 hours, will find out in 3 weeks.
I guess my 20 years firstbus experience meant little, 10 yrs driving and 10 yrs engineering ,I described the very ,very difficult situations I had been in during driving buses, eg, the most disruptive passengers I have had to deal with, and that is in Glasgow, a tough place to work and the emergencies during engineering and I worked at an airport, so met thousands of passengers a day from all countries and all walks of life.
if I was the interviewer, I would have picked me lol. well it was the job I had been after for ages.. I'm 55 , I first tried as a train guide on the west highland line when I was 21, as my knowledge of that line was amazing, but they said I didn't have the customer experience back then.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top