• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train company branding: "Trains" vs "Railways"

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
I go to the bus station. To access the services of the bus company/ies.

I go to the railway station. To access the services of the railway company/ies.

I go to the transport hub or interchange to access both, sometimes more.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
"Airlines" new and modern? The term has been around as long as "Airways", mainly in the USA. In any case, an airline is a company which operates aircraft for hire and reward, and an airway is what the aircraft fly along. Of course, in the USA the term "airline" was also applied to railways, indicating a line which was the shortest route between two points. There was even a company called Seaboard Air Line, which merged with Atlantic Coast Line to become Seaboard Coast Line and is now subsumed into CSX Transportation.

I also use an airline to fill my tyres at the garage. My neighbour has airways disease.

The English language is great, it's really quite flexible.

Don't buses stop at bus stops?

:D

I'm sure in Fife they stop at Bus Halts (or they did when I was younger).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top