• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tractive Effort of a Voyager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
Does anyone know what the tractive effort of a voyager is?

I know the power available in each vehicle (520kW engine*, 2x275kW motors), but not the tractive effort. Is there a way I can work it out? An approximation/rule of thumb should be sufficient.

Also, how much of the power is lost between the engine(s) and rail? Rule of thumb is, I believe, 80% of engine power is available at the rail (accounting for electrical losses etc), but then some more will be used up by lighting, heating etc.

Thanks


*Used to be 560kW, but they were derated at some point in the past. Hence the power of the traction motors exceeding the power of the engine.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,329
Location
Glasgow
Does anyone know what the tractive effort of a voyager is?

I know the power available in each vehicle (520kW engine*, 2x275kW motors), but not the tractive effort. Is there a way I can work it out? An approximation/rule of thumb should be sufficient.

Also, how much of the power is lost between the engine(s) and rail? Rule of thumb is, I believe, 80% of engine power is available at the rail (accounting for electrical losses etc), but then some more will be used up by lighting, heating etc.

Thanks


*Used to be 560kW, but they were derated at some point in the past. Hence the power of the traction motors exceeding the power of the engine.
The traction motors are rated at continuous 235kW, not 275kW.

Taken from the 2001 official VT spec sheet. Sadly that same document does not give tractive efforts, but bear with me.
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
The traction motors are rated at continuous 235kW, not 275kW.

Taken from the 2001 official VT spec sheet. Sadly that same document does not give tractive efforts, but bear with me.
Platform 5 says 275kW, but doesn't specify whether that's continuous or maximum. I'm guessing that it'll be maximum then!
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,329
Location
Glasgow
Platform 5 says 275kW, but doesn't specify whether that's continuous or maximum. I'm guessing that it'll be maximum then!
Presumably so, I understand the motors (also Alstom) in 458s are 225kW cont., 265kW short-term. So 235/275 seems reasonable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top