• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPO Workings of the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I'm not too familiar with these workings but am aware of the different MK1s carriages used on the TPOs and the 325's but other then that my current knowledge is very very limited.

Wikipedia does help with the typical workings that the TPOs used to do but it doesn't explain what formations they used to run in for a average TPO set other then explain that the TPOs were formed of the following carriages:

Post Office Sorting Van
Post Office Stowage Van
Brake Post Office Stowage Van
Courier Vehicle
Propelling Control Vehicle
Brake Guard
General Utility Van

Thing is though despite being in Peterborough when the TPOs were running< I never really got the chance to observe them in action, so does anyone here familiar with the TPOs workings of the past can tell me how they were formed up ready for departure to all the corners of the UK.

Also where did the 325s work to and from?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Unsure of where the 325 go, but I believe on the WCML, between London (Willesden)/Warrington and Scotland (Shieldmuir). I'm only guessing, 'cos i've seen it shoot through on the southern end of the WCML. I don't know much else, sorry I can't help. They may have ventured further south.
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I don't think there was any such thing as a typical or average TPO formation. The number and type of vans depended on the route and the volume of traffic. Vans were added as required, and the formation fo the South Wales TPO woould have been quite different to, say, the Cardiff - Crewe or Huddersfield - Whitehaven TPO's!

I have seen an excellent looking book on sale at Ian Allan. It was written by someone who worked for many years on the TPO's at Peterborough. It was full of interesting detail on the trains that he worked on, how they operated and shows how complex the network of mail trains used to be. It also contains some humourous stories of life on board, but sadly I can't remember what it's called!
 

Mvann

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2010
Messages
790
Location
Peterborough
The nene valley railway are doing a couple of TPO experience days later this year, which include working the lineside apparatus.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I don't think there was any such thing as a typical or average TPO formation. The number and type of vans depended on the route and the volume of traffic. Vans were added as required, and the formation fo the South Wales TPO woould have been quite different to, say, the Cardiff - Crewe or Huddersfield - Whitehaven TPO's!

I have seen an excellent looking book on sale at Ian Allan. It was written by someone who worked for many years on the TPO's at Peterborough. It was full of interesting detail on the trains that he worked on, how they operated and shows how complex the network of mail trains used to be. It also contains some humourous stories of life on board, but sadly I can't remember what it's called!

If you do remember what the book is, could you let me know please as it's something I would like to read.
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
I know the Willesden-Dover TPO didn't have a PCV, and was headed by a 73. That's about all I know about TPO's as it was the only one I ever saw.

325's used to work to Tonbridge when the mail platform there was open.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,721
there is also An Illustrated History of the Travelling Post Office by Peter Johnson which is in its third edition
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Yes, I remembe rthat from looking at the book in the shop! As a former employee of both the mail and the railway, I was very interested in it, but it didn't appear in my Christmas stocking sadly!

I used to have friends on the South Wales TPO, they asked me why I wouldn;t apply to work on it, but I was never keen on the permanent night shifts, being as I was a young amn at the time and enjoyed my social life!
 

AJP62

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2009
Messages
160
Location
Macclesfield
There was great variety in the formations of these trains when the network was in full swing back in the 70s.

Through Carlisle there were three workings I was familiar with -

The West Coast Postal - this was the big one, London - Glasgow with a portion for Aberdeen and return. Loaded to about 12 vehicles which were a mixture of the first three postal vehicles mention above. Reputed to have the highest priority on the WCML, apart from any Royal Trains, in those days. Stopped in Birmingham where it linked with the Bristol - Newcastle and Crewe for the Cardiff and Lincoln(?) TPOs. Aberdeen portion dropped at Carstairs I think. Photos of Aberdeen portion often around as it left about 4.30pm southbound.

Carlisle - Perth TPO - left about 8.30pm and was one sorting coach plus a BG. It was a passenger service too so had a couple of Mk1s on it. Didn't have a return working and I could never work out how the stock got back! Usually 81-85 on the front.

Euston - Carlisle TPO - one sorting TPO arrived a few hours after 'the Postal' on a later service - not sure what that was. Again one way only and I think the TPO went back with some empty parcels stock in the afternoon.

Also occasionally saw -

Whitehaven - Huddersfield - one sorting TPO and possibly a stowage TPO plus some BGs. Linked at Preston with the 'Postal' and at Hudersfield with the York - Shrewsbury/Aberystwyth(?)

Newcastle - Bristol - bit vague here but think it was about 8 TPOs plus some BGs/GUVs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top