• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE terminating at Berwick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
15 Sep 2022
Messages
8
Location
Scottish Borders
I don't have a photo of it but I remember it. I saw the displays saying that a TPE terminated there i passed the train when i was in Scotland around where i live i saw the rail point say the same thing was it a mistake or did it actually terminate there
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
I don't have a photo of it but I remember it. I saw the displays saying that a TPE terminated there i passed the train when i was in Scotland around where i live i saw the rail point say the same thing was it a mistake or did it actually terminate there
Hi
I see that this is your first message! So Welcome


What time was the train? Was it today or a couple weeks ago? :)
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
It's correct. They're new services. On weekdays, 1147 and 1514 Edinburgh to Berwick-upon-Tweed, 1405 and 1616 Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I don't have a photo of it but I remember it. I saw the displays saying that a TPE terminated there i passed the train when i was in Scotland around where i live i saw the rail point say the same thing was it a mistake or did it actually terminate there
Yes, there are TPE terminators into Berwick-Upon-Tweed.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
There are several services clearly shown in timetables as starting or terminating at Berwick-upon-Tweed.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,324
Interesting, I thought Scotrail would be the operator to terminate at Berwick.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
Bizarre. Is this why there is sometimes an absence of TPE units on the key central part of their network? :rolleyes:
Not really. The Liverpool-Newcastle was supposed to be extended hourly to Edinburgh by now. It’s just a terrible lack of traincrew that’s hitting this TOC very hard.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,324
Not really. The Liverpool-Newcastle was supposed to be extended hourly to Edinburgh by now. It’s just a terrible lack of traincrew that’s hitting this TOC very hard.
I thought the TPE service has been split at Newcastle. Liverpool to Newcastle and Edinburgh to Newcastle.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Not really. The Liverpool-Newcastle was supposed to be extended hourly to Edinburgh by now. It’s just a terrible lack of traincrew that’s hitting this TOC very hard.
I thought the intended hourly Liverpool - Edinburgh through services were removed well before current crew issues, and it was because they couldn’t be pathed with the already agreed full LNER Edinburgh to London service in place.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
I thought the intended hourly Liverpool - Edinburgh through services were removed well before current crew issues, and it was because they couldn’t be pathed with the already agreed full LNER Edinburgh to London service in place.
No it wasn’t that long ago. Negotiations where going on with TPE at the same time & the fact their 802s would still have to run ECS between Craigentinny & Newcastle was a contributing factor.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I thought the TPE service has been split at Newcastle. Liverpool to Newcastle and Edinburgh to Newcastle.
Yes but only because it’s plans changed when paths where given to LNER & the Scottish government had nobody to serve its new ECML stations.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
The Newcastle - Edinburgh TransPennine Express services aren't hourly, and aren't supposed to be.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
The Newcastle - Edinburgh TransPennine Express services aren't hourly, and aren't supposed to be.
They were originally going to be though. As per the document uploaded in this thread: Various consultations on the May 2022 East Coast Mainline timetable

The ESG has concluded the following changes are to be made to TransPennine Express services at the May 2022 timetable change:
• The through Edinburgh Waverley – Morpeth – Newcastle – Liverpool Lime Street via York hourly service will be withdrawn between Edinburgh – Newcastle and will only operate between Newcastle– Liverpool Lime Street
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
The Newcastle - Edinburgh TransPennine Express services aren't hourly, and aren't supposed to be.
That was the original plan direct from Lime St. Reduced to a 5 times daily local service in the end.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
That was the original plan direct from Lime St. Reduced to a 5 times daily local service in the end.
Yes, but what I was getting at was that this isn't due to a shortage of train crew or some other short term issue. It is because it wasn't compliant and also really wasn't necessary. Even with the reduced service there's still over-provision of capacity between Newcastle and Edinburgh but a shortage elsewhere.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
Yes, but what I was getting at was that this isn't due to a shortage of train crew or some other short term issue. It is because it wasn't compliant and also really wasn't necessary. Even with the reduced service there's still over-provision of capacity between Newcastle and Edinburgh but a shortage elsewhere.
The plan for a train averaging every 12 minutes between Newcastle & Edinburgh was never going to end well especially as they came over such long distances on basically a two track railway.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
I thought the intended hourly Liverpool - Edinburgh through services were removed well before current crew issues
They were. Nearly all were in the plan and a small handful ran in December 2019, but very few. Then they disappeared in March 2020 and that was that.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
They were. Nearly all were in the plan and a small handful ran in December 2019, but very few. Then they disappeared in March 2020 and that was that.
I liked the idea of them giving the likes of Liverpool & Huddersfield a direct service as well as helping to take the pressure off XC north from Leeds.
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,664
I liked the idea of them giving the likes of Liverpool & Huddersfield a direct service as well as helping to take the pressure off XC north from Leeds.
So do I, two services from London and two from Leeds. I remain to be convinced that LUMO is completely the right answer to be honest.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,904
Location
East Anglia
So do I, two services from London and two from Leeds. I remain to be convinced that LUMO is completely the right answer to be honest.

Yes me too. Something never sits quite right for me with Lumo but that’s another story.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top