• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE shuttle between Oxenholme & Windermere

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Last time I took this journey, on a weekday, the VT to Oxenholme from Wigan was running about 12 minutes late, and my heart was sinking that we'd have missed the connection to Windermere, the next one being an hour later. However to my relief the TPE turned up a minute after we'd disembarked at Oxenholme, (i.e. about 15 minutes behind its schedule) so all was well.

I'm wondering whether the TPE was deliberately delayed, knowing that the VT would be full of passengers for Windermere.

I ask because I'm now looking at a Sunday service where the TPE connection from Bolton (to Glasgow) only allows 5 minutes at Oxenholme. In the event of the first TPE being delayed, would the "Windermere shuttle" TPE wait for it to arrive? The next train on a Sunday is two hours later :shock: I don't think there's much in the way of facilities at Oxenholme either!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob Ames

Member
Joined
25 May 2013
Messages
108
Location
Wigan
Nope. :( I've been delayed on a Voyager to OXN several times recently, and the 185 has gone without me in all cases.
 

mullin

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
187
Any time I have done the journey from Wigan to Windermere of a morning, the connection from Virgin to TPE has generally always been poor. I'd say I usually make about 1 out of every 4 journeys successfully!

Announcements on the approach to Oxenholme from various TM's on Virgin saying TPE will hold the train and that the staff at Oxenholme are good at doing this never come to fruition in my experience - platform staff at Oxenholme say there is too tight a turnaround at Windermere, so it can't wait.


There is a bakery I am led to believe right outside of Oxenholme station, that's about it - not a great place to be stranded!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
Are the linespeeds so poor that only 1tph is possible between Oxenholme and Windermere? Obviously it'd be silly to run really regularly even if the infrastructure allowed because there wouldn't be the demand (and indeed it's only worth running as often as there's a connection on the mainline).

Perhaps there's a case for services like the Windermere branch to not be subject to the same rules regarding running on-time in terms of fines for late-running? At least as long as it continues to operate as a shuttle. There's little point in it running on-time if if it's empty because the mainline service that's carrying all it's would-be passengers hasn't arrived yet!
 
Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I think it's only one tph because there's only one train, although I might be mistaken there.

Totally agree with all your other comments. Ludicrous to fine them for delay minutes when they are only late because they care about not letting passengers down.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I've seen the TPE service held a couple of times for a late-running VT service, although in both cases the delay wasn't much, ten minutes or so.

As of the current timetable there are now quite a few through services to and from the Windermere branch, currently five a day mainly to Manchester Airport. If the service is held for a considerable time at Oxenholme, and then runs late, it might still be running late on the return from Windermere, and if it's a through service it might miss its slot on the WCML when it gets back to Oxenholme (which is only two-track at this point and has trains moving at various speeds). So that's something to consider.

I think it's only one tph because there's only one train, although I might be mistaken there.

Again, since there are now several through trains, the unit changes throughout the day.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Thanks for clarifying Eagle. I remember now hearing the TM advising an American guy, who needed to get back to the airport, which train from Windermere would be best for him.
 

Gd1992

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2013
Messages
5
In my experience they only hold it if there is a number of people wanting the connection and the incoming service is only a few minutes later than the TPE train is due to depart.

I can't really remember but is the line not single track all the way? This would explain the irregular service.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
I think it's only one tph because there's only one train, although I might be mistaken there.

Totally agree with all your other comments. Ludicrous to fine them for delay minutes when they are only late because they care about not letting passengers down.

I know there's only one unit allowed on the branch at any one time due to it effectively being a long siding, but what's the journey-time for a run down the branch and back? Are the 185s the best solution for the line long-term? Because it wouldn't surprise me if they're subject to speed restrictions compared to say a 156/158- could a sprinter fit in a more intensive service perhaps (at least if the through trains are cut back to being positioning moves at the start/end of day)?

I was under the impression there were very few through trains currently- seems strange they've reintroduced them when (many of) the other services they interwork with will be switching to electric traction (Manc-Scotland and Manc-Blackpool). Of course as Eagle stated, for the through services paths on the mainline are an unavoidable issue!
 

mullin

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
187
Yep, single all the way - there is also a level crossing with no barriers which I think the signs say 5mph for trains to cross at.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
Yep, single all the way - there is also a level crossing with no barriers which I think the signs say 5mph for trains to cross at.

But will affect all units of course. I was wondering if there might be problems specific to 185s like there is/was on the Hull line- such as a weak bridge? If so, perhaps in the longer term a 156/158 would be a better fit...
 

Bob Ames

Member
Joined
25 May 2013
Messages
108
Location
Wigan
I was under the impression there were very few through trains currently- seems strange they've reintroduced them when (many of) the other services they interwork with will be switching to electric traction (Manc-Scotland and Manc-Blackpool).

Funny you should mention that:
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/10516130...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But will affect all units of course. I was wondering if there might be problems specific to 185s like there is/was on the Hull line- such as a weak bridge? If so, perhaps in the longer term a 156/158 would be a better fit...

Oh lordy, we don't want to go back to Sprinters. The 185s are well-suited to carry all the luggage and bikes of tourists.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Totally agree with all your other comments. Ludicrous to fine them for delay minutes when they are only late because they care about not letting passengers down.

But all the surveys say that the passengers want the trains to run on time so they cant really complain about missing it can they! ;)

I always ask what is most important, an on time train with half the passengers left behind or a ten minute late train with everyone on board!
Never got an answer to that one.;)
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
But will affect all units of course. I was wondering if there might be problems specific to 185s like there is/was on the Hull line- such as a weak bridge? If so, perhaps in the longer term a 156/158 would be a better fit...

There is no "weak bridge problem" between Leeds and Hull.

TPE use 170s because there are a few Sprinter Differential speed limits which allow late running services to make up time as compared to a 185.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
The folk waiting for the return working to Oxenholme will be a little dischuffed if that ends up ten minutes late too though, and they miss their connection as a result! Obviously that depends a lot on the time of day (and flow of punters in each direction) and the turnaround at the terminus.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,488
Location
Yorkshire
I'm wondering whether the TPE was deliberately delayed, knowing that the VT would be full of passengers for Windermere.
No. You make the mistake of thinking that, due to the huge subsidy we pay, the railways are primarily run for the benefit of passengers. That isn't the case, though it should be.

However in Cornwall, the branch line trains do wait where possible, I've seen this myself. But that's only because they're the same TOC (FGW).

Where it's a different TOC, the priority for the respective TOCs is not passengers, but money. The system we have rewards the onward TOC for delaying many passengers by another hour as they can blame the incoming TOC for being late (who can probably in turn blame Network Rail or another TOC).

There are many people paid a lot of money (far more than I'm on) whose job it is to save their Company money by 'delay attribution'. Those people do not want their TOC to wait, because they get more money if they do not wait. The incoming TOC loses money, but the rail industry does like to self-destruct and not everyone wants the best for the industry as a whole, especially not the accountants at individual TOCs.


But all the surveys say that the passengers want the trains to run on time so they cant really complain about missing it can they! ;)
People want trains to run to time, but over a journey like London to Windermere, within 10 mins is pretty much on time in most people's eyes. But 60 mins late isn't.
I always ask what is most important, an on time train with half the passengers left behind or a ten minute late train with everyone on board!
Never got an answer to that one.;)
The former is better for the onward TOC, as it is the inbound TOC who will be paying the compensation to passengers.

The latter is better for the industry as a whole.

Therefore, the former is what usually happens.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
However in Cornwall, the branch line trains do wait where possible, I've seen this myself. But that's only because they're the same TOC (FGW).
FGW always seem to hold connections where it is practicable, even when its an XC which is running late.
Some TOCs wont even hold their own trains to make a connection because "we dont do connections" apparently.

Agree with the rest of your post Yorkie.
 

harz99

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2009
Messages
913
I ask because I'm now looking at a Sunday service where the TPE connection from Bolton (to Glasgow) only allows 5 minutes at Oxenholme. In the event of the first TPE being delayed, would the "Windermere shuttle" TPE wait for it to arrive? The next train on a Sunday is two hours later :shock: I don't think there's much in the way of facilities at Oxenholme either!

I would think that there would be at least an "evens" chance of the connection being held as long as the delay is not excessive. They are both TPE services after all, and both sets of on train staff would be aware of the importance of connections to "their" passengers.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
FGW always seem to hold connections where it is practicable, even when its an XC which is running late.
Some TOCs wont even hold their own trains to make a connection because "we dont do connections" apparently.

They did have posters at one station (either Truro or St Erth I think) saying that they won't hold connections due to the lack of recovery time in the schedules on the branches, especially for people coming off the branch to make a long distance service North. In reality however, I think that's just a 'covering their own back' exercise, for the day when they can't hold a connection.

Recently I was on a train that was about 30 late and going to miss the Newquay branch connection (the most infrequent/ longest branch of them all), so the TM went through the train asking for a headcount of people for Newquay so that he could advise control on how big a bus was needed for a shuttle to run from St Austell. Fair play on that one FGW.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Hence the "where practicable" in my post, sometimes it simply isnt possible to hold trains no matter how much you would like too.
 

W230

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
1,217
Yep, single all the way - there is also a level crossing with no barriers which I think the signs say 5mph for trains to cross at.
I'm (fairly) sure the branch is run under one train working, with the shuttle just going backwards and forwards all day long.

I did use it once on a Sunday, though I took the first service which started in passenger service from Lancaster and then did all the runs until the end of the day.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
The branch is OTW (with a staff?), but there are (for now at least) a handful of through trains each day.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
They did have posters at one station (either Truro or St Erth I think) saying that they won't hold connections due to the lack of recovery time in the schedules on the branches, especially for people coming off the branch to make a long distance service North..

I saw these notices at St Erth when I was visiting St Ives recently. The services on a weekday run down and back constantly, two return trips an hour with very little turnaround time. Holding connections just isn't practical in this case.
They even miss out Carbis Bay on alternate runs to make the 2tph frequency possible.
 

Dunc108

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Messages
270
Location
Morecambe
There was talk at one time of installing a passing loop on the branch to allow more trains, electrification has also been rumoured several times over the years but have come to nothing...

Through trains seem to have been culled over the course of various timetables as more 185s were focused on Scottish services.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
There was talk at one time of installing a passing loop on the branch to allow more trains, electrification has also been rumoured several times over the years but have come to nothing...

Actually a study into electrification was announced at the spending review last month. It's widely expected that the branch will be electrified in the medium term.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Wasn't Oxenholme-Windermere once considered for overhead juicing near the end of BR, or have I just imagined that?

On a related note to connections, I'm sure Chiltern used to (they may still even) advise in their timetable notes that they will try and hold northbound trains at Princes Risborough for services ex-Aylesbury but they cannot do it southbound (it could well be vice versa!).
 

Dunc108

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Messages
270
Location
Morecambe
Actually a study into electrification was announced at the spending review last month. It's widely expected that the branch will be electrified in the medium term.

Before any wires go up they'll have to alter the various bridges first, some have been quite thickly re-lined, especially Plantation bridge near Staveley which 185s have a speed restriction passing under from the Burneside direction..
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Before any wires go up they'll have to alter the various bridges first...

Uh, that's true of all electrification projects.

And surely that's one of the things that the study will look at, which bridges will need to be modified or rebuilt to accommodate the wires.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
The former is better for the onward TOC, as it is the inbound TOC who will be paying the compensation to passengers.

The latter is better for the industry as a whole.

Therefore, the former is what usually happens.

Tragedy of the Commons?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top