• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE On-train gesture of good will

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
I'd never heard of this before - was on a TPE service today from Middlesborough to Manchester and when by Dewsbury I'd still seen no trolley asked about getting some water and not only did they do that (and confirm there was no trolley today), they immediately gave me their machine to type my email in and I got a £20 gesture-of-goodwill voucher, from which you could select a bunch of retailers.

I wasn't even complaining, just asking for water! Pretty chuffed tbh, I'd rather have £20 and water than £0, a packet of crisps, and some Earl Grey.

So worth knowing that they can do this on the train without having to involve customer services or anything (cue being told this by ten different posters that this is super common knowledge, but I've never seen it on a train before!)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,283
That's indeed very good customer service.
I think I've seen it mentioned on here that TPE Staff are allowed to upgrade pax to First Class or waive ticket restrictions as a goodwill gesture.
 

158801

Member
Joined
26 Sep 2011
Messages
351
What's to stop you complaining to customer relations are getting even more compensation?
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
What's to stop you complaining to customer relations are getting even more compensation?

As it happens I'm going to do the opposite and get in touch with them to say thanks to the member of staff, but I guess nothing, it's a free country?

There was a thing though on the screen where it said whether the customer had had a gesture "today" or words to that effect. So there's obviously some tracking!
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
It's a good job I have three emails addresses

Sure, it comes up after you've put your details in though. So you'd have to know about it. But I guess the secret's out! ;)

I wouldn't personally consider repeatedly doing this for the same trivial incident playing fair but then again a lot wouldn't like my attitude to delay repay, so who am I to judge...
 

Fokx

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
1,632
Location
Liverpool
What you're referring to is a staff application called "Charm", designed to gift customers with vouchers in the event of issues onboard or poor customer experience. It was designed to replace the "back on track" which was a paper voucher that could be used for restricting tickets, issuing upgrades to first, receipt claim backs or for reimbursement of dry cleaning.

All TPE have access to it, but very few staff members will actually use it following incidents of misuse, which also exposed the level of behind the scenes checks that take place of the issuer and also the recipient of said voucher (to ensure there is no pre-existing relationship between the two).

Statistically, you're more likely to be given the newer version of the "Back on track" by onboard staff now, or advised to contact customer relations.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
What you're referring to is a staff application called "Charm", designed to gift customers with vouchers in the event of issues onboard or poor customer experience. It was designed to replace the "back on track" which was a paper voucher that could be used for restricting tickets, issuing upgrades to first, receipt claim backs or for reimbursement of dry cleaning.

All TPE have access to it, but very few staff members will actually use it following incidents of misuse, which also exposed the level of behind the scenes checks that take place of the issuer and also the recipient of said voucher (to ensure there is no pre-existing relationship between the two).

Statistically, you're more likely to be given the newer version of the "Back on track" by onboard staff now, or advised to contact customer relations.

That's a shame as it's it's a great thing - sent in positive feedback about being proactively offered it anyway with service etc info etc to identify the lady who did it as aiui this can be helpful with managers etc.

(Speaking of things on paper, fake tickets for under 5s which were also handed out on that trip - but not the return working today which did though have the free tea albeit no crisps just biscuits - are great too)

(And since we're speaking of that return working - we also had what very much felt like an emergency brake application a bit after Littleborough and then after a while setting off again with an almost deliberately vageuly sounding message from the conductor along the lines of "the driver had to talk to the signaller about something and couldn't do that while moving" or something like that, which given we passed a signal just after starting moving I'm wondering if it was a bulb out or something, doubt TPWS around there - idk if anyone has any intel on this? I was in the toilet with a toddler at the time and had enough time to get her braced for the jerk at the end so it was that obvious. Also weirdly the toilet wouldn't flush thereafter, I assumed that this was to do with the emergency stop somehow and when we were moving again I managed to flush it - and that must have been at least 5 minutes cause had gone back to seat at the time then went proactively to flush; otoh the tap water did not work again for the duration of the journey so maybe a coincidence, again any info there would be helpful)
 

Top