• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Manchester Victoria - first class experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilyux

New Member
Joined
11 Jan 2020
Messages
2
Location
Liverpool
For anyone that's got the TPE train from Manchester Victoria - Liverpool at peak times, you'll know its rammed. Does anyone have experience of sitting in first class at these times? i.e availability of seats.
I get the 18:00 service on weekdays and I'm hoping a first class upgrade will make it more bearable.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,325
Location
Bolton
I haven't travelled myself but I have peeked in there on several services, and Liverpool bound trains rarely have all seats taken in First Class. It does happen from time to time on 3 car units however.

If you book a First Class ticket and for any reason can't sit down you're entitled to some compensation, so you are not taking a risk with your cash in that regard by choosing First Class:
Seat reservations for TransPennine Express services can be booked up
to 18:00 hours on the day before travel.
If we do not provide you with your reserved seat, and there are no
other seats available, we will compensate you:
• If you have a reserved seat but have had to stand, we will refund you
50% of the single leg cost of your journey.
• If you have booked a seat in First Class but there is only one
available in Standard Class, we will refund the difference between the
fare you paid and the equivalent Standard Class fare.
This will be paid in e-vouchers, redeemable on our website, or National
Rail travel vouchers. To make your claim, please ensure that the
conductor on-board endorses your ticket or reservation coupon. Please
ensure claims are made within 28 days of the date of travel.

It's also likely you'll be able to organise a (free) seat reservation from various outlets.

To put it another way I would say that on the balance of probability it is likely to be worthwhile upgrading.
 
Last edited:

emilyux

New Member
Joined
11 Jan 2020
Messages
2
Location
Liverpool
I haven't travelled myself but I have peeked in there on several services, and Liverpool bound trains rarely have all seats taken in First Class. It does happen from time to time on 3 car units however.

It's also likely you'll be able to organise a (free) seat reservation from various outlets.

I'd be buying a season ticket and seat reservations can't be made on those I believe. Thanks though - it sounds like it may be worth it.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,325
Location
Bolton
Seat reservations often can be made with season tickets. I don't know in this case but you can always try asking at a ticket office or WhatsApp the company.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,304
Location
South West London
I'd be buying a season ticket and seat reservations can't be made on those I believe. Thanks though - it sounds like it may be worth it.

While Transpennine block people from reserving seats from their own ticket offices, I've found Leeds Travel Centre more than willing to do them if you live near there. I'm sure other stations will do them too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top