• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE franchise awarded to First

Status
Not open for further replies.

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Apparently Northern switched their diagrams yesterday to ensure a 156 was present at platform 11 instead of a 142 while the press were taking photos of the newly livered 185!


Whilst I'm sort of liking the new paintscheme, I'm not entirely sold on the new 'star' logo, a bit Windows 98 Paint done in a rush.

<-- My take on it.... <D :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I understand tpe are getting new hitachi trains

Did I hear a number of 185s will be lost in the process to Northern?


According to wiki a few are on hire to northern?

I thought Northern were hiring 156s to tpe

When will,the 185 refurb start and are trains in first livery getting new logos ?
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I understand tpe are getting new hitachi trains

Did I hear a number of 185s will be lost in the process to Northern?

In total 22 x 185s and the 350/4s will be released by 2019. Future operators haven't been confirmed.

Northern are loaning 4 x 185s from TPE until December 2017 to cover the services which have transferred from TPE to Northern.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
According to wiki a few are on hire to northern?

I thought Northern were hiring 156s to tpe

Northern are indeed hiring 185s each day to operate services transferred from the old TPE franchise to the new Northern franchise. These same services the old TPE were partiality operating using 156s hired from the old Northern.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Agreed - yesterday at Huddersfield:

The PIS was down again
The "Station Info Supervisor" was busy on the island platform handing out cup cakes but didn't have a radio on him so couldn't find out what was going on
The train was late
There was no explanation or apology
Some of the staff were busy doing an April Fool Facebook post about the station cat


Then today there are cancellations for lack of drivers.

So not a great start! I think they need to focus on the basics before they start repainting the trains.
I think it's a bit harsh on the staff there - you have zero evidence that they made that Facebook post during company time, or if it was by someone working for the company, or - in fact - that it involved more than one person as you implied
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apparently Northern switched their diagrams yesterday to ensure a 156 was present at platform 11 instead of a 142 while the press were taking photos of the newly livered 185!

Their communications team did an excellent job if that's true!
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Cant knock Felix, not only is it a good PR feline but the positive morale boost to punters, staff and the company as a result of the moggys meanderings around Huddersfield and on Facebook just cannot be dismissed.

Facebook postings are done out of busy times and staff requirements, often when they are not on duty at the beginning, end or breaks in shift or in their own time. They certainly wont be dealing with Felix if staff are busy dealing with disruptions or other station calls or duties.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Their communications team did an excellent job if that's true!

On checking it seems 2 x 142s which were on an early Hazel Grove-Piccadilly service and would normally have gone on to a Piccadilly-Chester service with the rear unit returning to Piccadilly platform 11 alone, were instead put on a Marple run, with a 156+150 formation which had arrived from Longsight being used on the Piccadilly-Chester instead resulting in a 156 arriving at Piccadilly platform 11.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The TPE Hitachi AT300s will have 330 seats per set according to RAIL's Facebook page.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
Can anybody point me to a decent online photo of the new 185 livery please.

Thanks

There's a few on Flickr. I'm still undecided, I like Dynamic Lines myself whereas I feel this makes less visual impact = largely down to the light coloured sides. The framing around the windows works on rolling stock like SWT because they carry it on, whereas the 185 looks a little odd because of the window layout on the 185s.

Also find it a little odd that the bottom colour almost appears to be Northern Rail Purple. So right after Northerns Purple & Blue livery is set to disappear in the North, it sort of makes a comeback in TPEs new livery.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=185108&sort=date-posted-desc
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
There's a few on Flickr. I'm still undecided, I like Dynamic Lines myself whereas I feel this makes less visual impact = largely down to the light coloured sides. The framing around the windows works on rolling stock like SWT because they carry it on, whereas the 185 looks a little odd because of the window layout on the 185s.

Also find it a little odd that the bottom colour almost appears to be Northern Rail Purple. So right after Northerns Purple & Blue livery is set to disappear in the North, it sort of makes a comeback in TPEs new livery.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=185108&sort=date-posted-desc
I've always liked the dynamic lines, but the new livery looks nice, but not as smart as GWR. It's still 1000 times better than that awful SWT red livery
 

ajdunlop

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2009
Messages
218
There's a few on Flickr. I'm still undecided, I like Dynamic Lines myself whereas I feel this makes less visual impact = largely down to the light coloured sides. The framing around the windows works on rolling stock like SWT because they carry it on, whereas the 185 looks a little odd because of the window layout on the 185s.



Also find it a little odd that the bottom colour almost appears to be Northern Rail Purple. So right after Northerns Purple & Blue livery is set to disappear in the North, it sort of makes a comeback in TPEs new livery.



https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=185108&sort=date-posted-desc


185108 was the Liverpool capital of culture train! I always enjoyed seeing it 8 years after the event. Sad times now it has gone.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Monumental cockup on Saturday. 185123 the other reliveried unit was allocated to BPN-MIA services operated by Arriva!
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
Or cleverly confusing with it's TPE/Northern ish livery!

It won't be the last time this happens - the 4 sub-leased to Northern will be from the common pool so as TPE get through the overhauls/revinyling, they will be fairly common on Northern services.

Side by side of the old/new liveries I took last night...


Old & New by Flash 3939, on Flickr
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
I still always think waveform visualizer when I see the old TPE livery. Very 2000's MP3 player.

1.jpg
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
185108 was the Liverpool capital of culture train! I always enjoyed seeing it 8 years after the event. Sad times now it has gone.

I always felt that one looked messy compared to the rest. Yes, it stood out, but it was a bit like the Northern 158s that had the WY advertising in the white stripe - not smart.

It won't be the last time this happens - the 4 sub-leased to Northern will be from the common pool so as TPE get through the overhauls/revinyling, they will be fairly common on Northern services.

Side by side of the old/new liveries I took last night...


Old & New by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The dynamic lines livery was okay but I wasn't keen on the blue/purple fade. I love the concept of the new livery but having silver/grey as the main base colour through the middle of the train makes it look like it's in an unfinished undercoat livery. Wish they'd used the light blue from the cab ends there instead.
 

CAF397

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2010
Messages
1,095
Location
Lancashire

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Right, so OK it was the "other" unit! Still ironically allocated to northern work either way, not exactly spreading the new identity across the network parked up in a siding in Sheffield.....
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
Just seen the new livery at Oxford Road, looks great in my option, very modern
 
Last edited:

66Yorks

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2015
Messages
254
Saw the new livery today. The vinyl is coming off near to the drivers cab door already!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
It won't be the last time this happens - the 4 sub-leased to Northern will be from the common pool so as TPE get through the overhauls/revinyling, they will be fairly common on Northern services.

Northern are leasing a 4SUB ?! :o

I'm definitely catching that :lol:
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
Right, so OK it was the "other" unit! Still ironically allocated to northern work either way, not exactly spreading the new identity across the network parked up in a siding in Sheffield.....

Well it had worked through to Cleethorpes earlier on in the day
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
Northern are indeed hiring 185s each day to operate services transferred from the old TPE franchise to the new Northern franchise. These same services the old TPE were partiality operating using 156s hired from the old Northern.

So until the end of last week, the Manchester Airport to Blackpool North services were TPE-operated using rolling stock on hire from Northern, but now they are Northern-operated using rolling stock on hire from TPE? :o
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
So until the end of last week, the Manchester Airport to Blackpool North services were TPE-operated using rolling stock on hire from Northern, but now they are Northern-operated using rolling stock on hire from TPE? :o


Errr.... Yeah! :p

Pretty much sums it up!..... :D


No, nothings changed. Some services were diagrammed a 185 whereas others were 2x156. Just the sponsoring franchise has changed, not the diagramming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top