• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE First Class Advance - Manchester to Cleethorpes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
I have booked first class advance single tix, Manchester to Cleethorpes and return.

I have been allocated seats. Is there any chance I can pick a different seat? Or, if not, how busy are 0913 ex Manchester and 1626 ex Cleethorpes likely to be on a Wednesday in April, so I can sit elsewhere in first class?

It's put me on a table for 4 and ideally, I'd like a single seat at a 2 (airline or table)?

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,310
I have booked first class advance single tix, Manchester to Cleethorpes and return.

I have been allocated seats. Is there any chance I can pick a different seat? Or, if not, how busy are 0913 ex Manchester and 1626 ex Cleethorpes likely to be on a Wednesday in April, so I can sit elsewhere in first class?

It's put me on a table for 4 and ideally, I'd like a single seat at a 2 (airline or table)?

Thanks in advance.
I take the outward train - albeit travelling standard, and getting off at Oxford Road. But on the basis of what I see

- the service should be 2xcl185 with the result of 2 small first class saloons
- first class rarely seems to be heaving. I suppose that might change at Piccadilly.

I would speculate that you won't have a problem.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,287
Minor issue will be, is the OP booked in the correct portion of the train (if it's 2 x Class 185) to avail themselves of any catering (for that part of the journey between Manchester Stns and Sheffield)?
 

STINT47

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2020
Messages
871
Location
Nottingham
Minor issue will be, is the OP booked in the correct portion of the train (if it's 2 x Class 185) to avail themselves of any catering (for that part of the journey between Manchester Stns and Sheffield)?
Shouldn't TPE provide catering in all parts of the train? The ticker costs the same in both parts anc how are passengers going to know that one part doesn't provide the advertised facilities.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
Shouldn't TPE provide catering in all parts of the train? The ticker costs the same in both parts anc how are passengers going to know that one part doesn't provide the advertised facilities.
Something people get stitched up by on CrossCountry too.
 

Twingo37175

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2019
Messages
246
Shouldn't TPE provide catering in all parts of the train? The ticker costs the same in both parts anc how are passengers going to know that one part doesn't provide the advertised facilities.
They do sometimes. I was travelling the opposite way from Doncaster and as we approached Sheffield the guard advised us to swap if we wanted catering. I was fine with the quieter area, but, 2 trolleys joined at Sheffield so we were OK.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
I have booked first class advance single tix, Manchester to Cleethorpes and return.

I have been allocated seats. Is there any chance I can pick a different seat? Or, if not, how busy are 0913 ex Manchester and 1626 ex Cleethorpes likely to be on a Wednesday in April, so I can sit elsewhere in first class?

It's put me on a table for 4 and ideally, I'd like a single seat at a 2 (airline or table)?

Thanks in advance.
If you book with the forum's site, you can choose your seat using the seat selector, at the stage where you put the ticket in your basket:

1776604773687.png
1776604842690.png

If you booked with us and didn't spot it, feel free to send me a message with the details of the seat you'd like, and I'll arrange it for you.

Seating plan here:


Seat 15 is the individual seat, but there is only one of them. Tables for two are 3+6, 9+12.

If you booked elsewhere, contact the retailer you booked with, or alternatively you could try visiting a ticket office, to see if they would help.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
If you book with the forum's site, you can choose your seat using the seat selector, at the stage where you put the ticket in your basket:

View attachment 202632
View attachment 202633

If you booked with us and didn't spot it, feel free to send me a message with the details of the seat you'd like, and I'll arrange it for you.

Seating plan here:


Seat 15 is the individual seat, but there is only one of them. Tables for two are 3+6, 9+12.

If you booked elsewhere, contact the retailer you booked with, or alternatively you could try visiting a ticket office, to see if they would help.
Very helpful, thank you. I booked it through TPE website. Maybe I should try them.

I'll try to remember to book here next time!
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,079
Location
North Yorkshire
Minor issue will be, is the OP booked in the correct portion of the train (if it's 2 x Class 185) to avail themselves of any catering (for that part of the journey between Manchester Stns and Sheffield)?
On 2x185 trains I believe that TPE only reserve seats in one unit (ABC) and the other unit (EFG) is unreserved. If there's only a single trolley it resides in ABC.
 

notspy

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2023
Messages
66
Location
Manchester
Wednesday is pretty busy between Manchester and Sheffield, although you're outside peak hours, so shouldn't be too bad.

The first class carriage in the front set (coach C, either the 1st or 3rd carriage down depending on orientation) will house all the reservations and the catering trolley, so this can get busy, but not normally to the point where there are no seats.

If you're not fussed about catering, the rear half of the train's first class (coach G) is generally a lot quieter and fully unreserved, especially when this is at the very back of the formation. There's a good chance it'll be completely empty in quieter hours.
 
Joined
8 Feb 2021
Messages
1,060
Location
Manchester
On 2x185 trains I believe that TPE only reserve seats in one unit (ABC) and the other unit (EFG) is unreserved. If there's only a single trolley it resides in ABC.
Correct. Outside of disruption, there will only ever be one trolley on board a 185 operated service, and it should always be in the ABC portion of the train
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top