• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Edinburgh Liverpool via York

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellhouse

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2009
Messages
659
Location
West Yorkshire
Before COVID, I attempted a direct trip from Huddersfield to Edinburgh via York. Unfortunately there were problems north of Newcastle, and I had to reroute via Carlisle.

I see the new TPE timetable has one southbound through service from Edinburgh (dep 1911) to Liverpool, but no northbound working. Does this indicate an intention to reintroduce services from Manchester to Edinburgh via York once crew training issues are resolved, or is it just an operational oddity?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
1,650
Location
York
Before COVID, I attempted a direct trip from Huddersfield to Edinburgh via York. Unfortunately there were problems north of Newcastle, and I had to reroute via Carlisle.

I see the new TPE timetable has one southbound through service from Edinburgh (dep 1911) to Liverpool, but no northbound working. Does this indicate an intention to reintroduce services from Manchester to Edinburgh via York once crew training issues are resolved, or is it just an operational oddity?
I presume this is the service that was previously Edinburgh to York, the only through working beyond NCL. So a continued oddity if you will, just as far as Liverpool rather than York
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,875
Location
East Anglia
Would be nice if more services could be joined up after the aborted TPE plan for the route but think this is more down to operational convenience.
 

thealexweb

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
1,106
TPE has gradually ramped up its Edinburgh to Newcastle services since the route split. Does this split still save any units?
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,875
Location
East Anglia
TPE has gradually ramped up its Edinburgh to Newcastle services since the route split. Does this split still save any units?
Isn't that only because the Scottish government pay for them on behalf of Scotrail?
 

3RDGEN

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2023
Messages
642
Location
Hull
Isn't that only because the Scottish government pay for them on behalf of Scotrail?

When first introduced it was reported that it was a joint TPE, Transport Scotland and Rail North Partnership agreement;
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/new-rail-service-newcastle-edinburgh-21467091. "The Newcastle to Edinburgh service will be launched in December by TransPennine Express and will operate five times each weekday in both direction - The service will operate until at least May 2023 and is the result of discussions between TransPennine Express, Transport Scotland, and the Rail North Partnership."

I guess TPE had the units and traincrew spare since their planned Liverpool - Newcastle - Edinburgh service was cancelled and they needed to get the units to Craigentinny so it suited everyone really. Can't find out much more on the deal which must of been extended by now, I suppose TS aren't too keen on it been known they are now paying the UK Government to run services on their behalf.

If TPE North route picks up passenger numbers I can see the units been pulled and returned to the core route once the contract/agreement ends.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,875
Location
East Anglia
If TPE North route picks up passenger numbers I can see the units been pulled and returned to the core route once the contract/agreement ends.
Not sure about that. Signed and sealed contracts would always come first.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,865
Location
Liverpool, UK
Would be nice if more services could be joined up after the aborted TPE plan for the route but think this is more down to operational convenience.
It is certainly an oddity. It has been known to reach Liverpool via Victoria/Chat Moss or Piccadilly/CLC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top