• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Airport Advance - how long to allow without baggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
Hi,
I've searched on here and not found the answer I need - so apologies if I've missed it. There's a reference to a long haul flights with baggage reclaim and customs etc but not short haul.

I'm taking the family to Dublin for a few days, and looking at Airport Advances for rail travel. I'm trying to find out how long TPE expect it to take from touch-down to train, so that I can book the most appropriate train.

We are scheduled to land at terminal 3 at 1745 and we'll have hand luggage only. Would TPE expect us to comfortably get a train at 1900 if landing is on time?

Thanks for advice, as always.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
There's not official guidance on this - the only people who could give you a definite answer on this would be TPE via email.

On my experience of the airport I'd say that yes, 75 minutes is plenty of time. Are there even passport checks for flights from Dublin? It's in the Common Travel Area so I'm not sure there are.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
TPE give up to 3 hours for delays to your flight
Airport Advance is a single fare ticket with the same terms and conditions as Advance tickets.

Although the ticket is train specific, as a special concession, customers with an Airport Advance ticket (with an origin of Manchester Airport OR Lpool Airport Bus), will be allowed, if your flight is delayed, to travel on the next available TransPennine Express service to your destination.

This concession is available for up to three hours after the departure time of your original service.

If the next service to your destination is timed to depart more than three hours after the original departure time you may use this service.

Customers wishing to take advantage of this concession must have their tickets endorsed at the station ticket office prior to boarding.

Should your flight be delayed, please ensure that you obtain documentation from your airline that this is the case.

But as for a connection from landing to the station then as cuccir has mentioned youre best off tweeting/emailing TPE themselves
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
As cuccir says there is no official guidance on how long to reasonably leave.

I've flown into Manchester a few times this year, and even arriving off of a long haul flight, and needing to clear passport control, and claim baggage I was through in less than an hour.

You may not even need to pass through passport control landing from Dublin, which will speed things up!
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
The 1900 will be absolutely fine. I've made a train less than 25 minutes after T3 touchdown, but that was with hand luggage only, hardly any queues in immigration and a lack of annoying big-suitcased tourists blocking the paths ;)
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Done a T3 touchdown and run in 15 mins from Dublin. Normally arrive as a domestic arrival so straight out so a 75 mins should be plenty of time. Last time I came back from Dublin they did a plane swap in Manchester so we parked on a remote stand and bus back to T3 so took a while
 

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
Agreed the 1900 will be fine. TPE station staff at Manchester Airport very reasonable and will generally authorise tickets for later travel if there has been an immigration or baggage delay not just a flight delay.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Just to confirm what others have said: I arrived on Sunday night from Hannover with hold baggage at 2200 (booked 2210) and was stood outside T3 within 15 minutes. Earlier evening T3 isn't likely to be so empty (and Ryanair fly bigger aircraft than Flybe!) but you've allowed ample time.
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
That's all good to know. I knew this would be the best place to ask. I have also emailed TPE so I'll post any relevant information from them here as well. Just need to measure our cases now to make sure they actually are hand luggage!
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
I have also emailed TPE so I'll post any relevant information from them here as well. Just need to measure our cases now to make sure they actually are hand luggage!

In case this is useful for future people looking for similar info... Our cases were 2cm too big so didn't want to risk a £50 each way charge! This meant checking in luggage instead.

We landed at Manchester T3 (the furthest from the station) at 1800 on Wednesday, picked up our luggage and made it onto the 1835 departure with a couple of minutes spare. I'm pretty impressed by that: not least the airport's efficiency in getting the case off the plane. We weren't rushing at any point as I didn't actually know what the timetable prior to 7pm was. We were just lucky to turn up at the station just after 1830 and hop on the train.

And I never did get a reply from TPE...
 

55z

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
183
Terminal 3 to rail station is a long walk either via terminal 1 or the quickest way is go outside and follow signs to outside terminal 1 then up on to the bridge to rail station.. There should be no passport check from Dublin - nothing to do with EU. it is an historic agreement between the 2 governments BUT you will need photo ID (passport) to fly. If flight etc is late TPEXP allow you to travel up to 3 ½ hours after booked train but see station staff.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
If flight etc is late TPEXP allow you to travel up to 3 ½ hours after booked train but see station staff.

You go to the ticket office, tell staff your flight was late (no questions ever asked on the three occasions this has happened to me), show your ticket, and they will write a slip showing you have permission to travel on the next available train.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top