• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Touching in and out at same station with Oyster PAYG

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
On Friday I will be going to London and I will be doing some spotting at some stations as usual.

If I touch in at e.g. Cannon Street would I be able to touch out at the same station even within the 90 minutes. I will only be travelling within zone 1 the rest of the day.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Yes, you'll be able to touch out: but you will be charged. I'm afraid I'm not sure how much.
 

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
Yes, you'll be able to touch out: but you will be charged. I'm afraid I'm not sure how much.

Yep just discovered it will be the maximum oyster fare. So instead I will start at Charing Cross spot there for around 30 minutes then get the train to London Bridge. Touch out there then touch in again and then get the train to Cannon Street.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Yep just discovered it will be the maximum oyster fare. So instead I will start at Charing Cross spot there for around 30 minutes then get the train to London Bridge. Touch out there then touch in again and then get the train to Cannon Street.

It's actually worse than that. After 30 minutes you get charged TWO maximum Oyster fares. Your plan above should work, but be careful to touch out and in again before the maximum journey time of 90 minutes has elapsed. Also, make sure that you touch out and back in again using the same gateline. If you touch out from platforms 1-6 and touch back in at platforms 8-16 your journeys will be combined into one.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Best bet would be to be touch in - catch train - touch out - ride bus one stop round the corner with your Oyster - come back - touch in - catch train - touch out. Will *definitely* make sure you don't go over your time limit in case you worry about not using the same gateline as MikeWh warns about above! But of course will cost you 2 singles + bus fare.
 

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
It's actually worse than that. After 30 minutes you get charged TWO maximum Oyster fares. Your plan above should work, but be careful to touch out and in again before the maximum journey time of 90 minutes has elapsed. Also, make sure that you touch out and back in again using the same gateline. If you touch out from platforms 1-6 and touch back in at platforms 8-16 your journeys will be combined into one.

I will only be at Charing Cross around 30 minutes. This will only happen on this visit because if I go for a 2nd time later in the year I wont need to do these 2 stations again.

I will remember the London Bridge bit but when I get there should I wait a few minutes before touching in again.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
Best bet would be to be touch in - catch train - touch out - ride bus one stop round the corner with your Oyster - come back - touch in - catch train - touch out. Will *definitely* make sure you don't go over your time limit in case you worry about not using the same gateline as MikeWh warns about above! But of course will cost you 2 singles + bus fare.

You do not actually have to travel on the bus, just touch in and get off.

Peter
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Best bet would be to be touch in - catch train - touch out - ride bus one stop round the corner with your Oyster - come back - touch in - catch train - touch out. Will *definitely* make sure you don't go over your time limit in case you worry about not using the same gateline as MikeWh warns about above! But of course will cost you 2 singles + bus fare.
You do not actually have to travel on the bus, just touch in and get off.
A bus is probably overkill in this situation, but you certainly don't need to ride any distance. And I wouldn't do it unless I was certain to cap that day.
I will only be at Charing Cross around 30 minutes. This will only happen on this visit because if I go for a 2nd time later in the year I wont need to do these 2 stations again.

I will remember the London Bridge bit but when I get there should I wait a few minutes before touching in again.
That shouldn't be necessary.
 

swadbus

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
62
To save problems, it may work out easier to simply buy a paper one-day travel card for the zones you need? No 90 minute restriction using them.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
If you just want to spot at one station you could always get a platform ticket.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
To save problems, it may work out easier to simply buy a paper one-day travel card for the zones you need? No 90 minute restriction using them.

Paper travelcards are not always a solution. For example, if the OP has a railcard then the Zones 1-2 cap only is discounted, not the paper version.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top