• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tottenham Hale to Harlow Town - no open return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSam

New Member
Joined
3 Aug 2010
Messages
1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so bear with me :oops:

I've been taking the Stansted Express from Liverpool St to Harlow Town recently, but it emerges that it is quicker for me to tube to Tottenham Hale then get the train from there.

I've always got an open return from Liverpl St as I never know how long I'm going to be staying at Harlow, but Tottenham Hale to Harlow Town doesn't seem to offer this.

Will I be able to buy an open return at Tottenham Hale Station, or do I have to buy a different type of ticket? If so, does anyone know why this is?

Any help greatly appreciated,
SuperSam :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Maybe because its only a short distance. Normally no open returns are available for short distances under 50miles. Please correct me if im wrong.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,445
Location
Yorkshire
The "Open Return" has been replaced by Anytime Return, the code is still SOR/FOR, this is not available for many shorter distance journeys. I don't think you can really put a mileage figure on it though!

2 x SDS would be £15.20

I can't find an SOR from London Terminals to Harlow Town, but an SVR (Off Peak Return) is available at £14.60 (Valid for departures from LST between 0930 and 1628 (inclusive) and at or after 1835, and for arrivals into Liverpool St on any train at or after 1000.

NSE didn't like SORs so many journeys in the former Network South East area do not have SOR as an option (regardless of the distance) as the new TOCs are generally not willing to introduce them.

Airport services can have SORs where none would otherwise be available, and there is an SOR from Tottenham Hale to Stansted Airport at £26.50 for example.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
For many journeys wholly within the old NSE area, you cannot get an anytime return.
you can get an anytime day return (i.e. you have to return the same day) but for tickets valid for return longer one day only the off-peak return (SVR) is available for return within 1 month, but is generally not valid for travel until after 09:30 (or whichever is first off-peak service on your route & some routes also have evening peak restrictions on their use. )
e.g. Kings Lynn to Weymouth does not have an anytime return fare- there is an anytime day return (10 hours travelling that day!) or off-peak return which is £5 cheaper but valid for return within 1 month though the earliest you can travel outwards is the 08:27

I did query this with FCC once & they said it was to protect revenue (i.e. people trying to use the ticket more than once) and in any case if it was introduced, the anytime return ticket would be double the anytime single fare so there would be no saving made over buying 2 singles.
On coming back I generally find it is off peak anyway so can mix &match anytime single with off-peak single.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top