• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top speed of Thameslink and Southeastern rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack D

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2015
Messages
66
Hi all,

On my journey home last Friday I saw a label on a Thameslink service saying its top speed is 100 MPH. I was wondering at what point would a Thameslink train need to go that fast and do they ever do so on a regular basis?

Same question for Southeastern trains as I occasionally take them.

Kind regards,
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
I was wondering at what point would a Thameslink train need to go that fast and do they ever do so on a regular basis?
North of London they run at 100mph, South of London they don't.

Running at 100mph is quite important where they share the fast line with long distance services, for example north of Cricklewood on the Midland Main Line until they return to the slow line, and north of Alexandra Palace on the East Coast Main Line.
 
Last edited:

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
Hi all,

On my journey home last Friday I saw a label on a Thameslink service saying its top speed is 100 MPH. I was wondering at what point would a Thameslink train need to go that fast and do they ever do so on a regular basis?

Same question for Southeastern trains as I occasionally take them.

Kind regards,
On Southeastern, the only 100mph section is Tonbridge - Ashford Int'l, but lots of the Chatham Mainline after Medway is 90mph, even reaching 95 at one point!
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,663
Location
Northampton
Thameslink trains regularly run at 100mph when operating the faster (not stopping) services on the Midland Mainline and East Coast main lines. E.g. Cambridge-Brighton. The Brighton line was 100mph for a while but I think has now been reduced to 90mph for all units. 377s have reached 100mph on the Brighton line on specially authorised runs.

Southeastern services can only run at 100mph on the Tonbridge-Ashford line, but I think do manage the ton. SWR also run 100mph on the third rail between Weybridge and Eastleigh.
 

Jack D

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2015
Messages
66
North of London they run at 100mph, South of London they don't.
Ah, I've lived all my life in South London which would explain why I've only seen Southeastern High Speed and Eurostar go that fast.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
Ah, I've lived all my life in South London which would explain why I've only seen Southeastern High Speed and Eurostar go that fast.
You may want to have a look at line speeds on the diagrams available in the pdf copies of the Sectional Appendix here

Scroll down to where it says "Sectional Appendix PDF copies"
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
On Southeastern, the only 100mph section is Tonbridge - Ashford Int'l, but lots of the Chatham Mainline after Medway is 90mph, even reaching 95 at one point!

Thameslink trains regularly run at 100mph when operating the faster (not stopping) services on the Midland Mainline and East Coast main lines. E.g. Cambridge-Brighton. The Brighton line was 100mph for a while but I think has now been reduced to 90mph for all units. 377s have reached 100mph on the Brighton line on specially authorised runs.

Southeastern services can only run at 100mph on the Tonbridge-Ashford line, but I think do manage the ton. SWR also run 100mph on the third rail between Weybridge and Eastleigh.
There's a small bit of 100mph running north of Tonbridge as well, through Hildenborough. It also extends further east than Ashford, to just east of Westenhanger.

IIRC the only 100mph section on the Brighton line was a short section near Three Bridges, and was only for Class 319s. It has been removed for a while now.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,570
Location
Taunton or Kent
On Southeastern, the only 100mph section is Tonbridge - Ashford Int'l, but lots of the Chatham Mainline after Medway is 90mph, even reaching 95 at one point!
Where does it do that? I don't recall seeing anything above 90 on the Chatham mainline.

100mph between Tonbridge and Ashford is not seen much in passenger service due to the calling patterns along there. I suspect trains that skip Pluckley can reach it between Headcorn and Ashford, as that's over 10 minutes of running; possibly also the handful of services that skip Marden. Otherwise it's only on ECS moves and engineering work diversions (where Maidstone East line trains run fast from Paddock Wood-Ashford), that sustained 100mph running is seen here.

East of Ashford apparently the 395s cannot draw enough power eastbound to reach 100mph, despite running fast to Folkestone West, however westbound they can as they get downhill assistance.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,434
Location
The Fens
North of London they run at 100mph, South of London they don't.

Running at 100mph is quite important where they share the fast line with long distance services, for example north of Cricklewood on the Midland Main Line until they return to the slow line, and north of Alexandra Palace on the East Coast Main Line.
Brighton-Cambridge and Horsham-Peterborough trains both run at 100 mph between just north of Alexandra Palace and Woolmer Green. The latter also run at 100 mph between Huntingdon and Peterborough.

The class 700s that work some Kings Cross-Kings Lynn/Ely trains will run at 100 mph between just north of Alexandra Palace and Hitchin.
 

Dumpton Park

Member
Joined
31 May 2012
Messages
70
I was on a Sunday Tonbridge to "Sandwich" on June 15 that (to my surprise) went non-stop from Tonbridge to Ashford (not done that for many a year!) and for curiousity's sake I happened to check on my phone - the 375s certainly made 100 for a while.

DP
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top