• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top Posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I notice the algorithm used for the above includes entries on The Quiz section of the Forum.

Whilst I appreciate these fun items give enjoyment to a lot of members they are not real posts in the true sense of a meaningful contribution (or otherwise :p).

My contention is that they should not be included in the calculations.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seacook

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
456
Location
West Bromwich
I notice the algorithm used for the above includes entries on The Quiz section of the Forum.

Whilst I appreciate these fun items give enjoyment to a lot of members they are not real posts in the true sense of a meaningful contribution (or otherwise :p).

My contention is that they should not be included in the calculations.

I trust that you are not suggesting that everything outside the Quiz section is necessarily a meaningful contribution?


This one isn't for a start.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Yes it does - however the total count does not take into account the Quiz section (is having been changed a few years ago)
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
It only includes quiz posts in the first three columns, since in the total post counts they are discounted; this leads to a couple of certain members to frequent the top of the leaderboards very regularly.

Personally this doesn't bother me and I'm not even sure if it is possible to ignore them in those particular columns.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes it does - however the total count does not take into account the Quiz section (is having been changed a few years ago)
If I recall correctly it changed in 2011, as it wasn't long after I joined these forums.
 
Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I trust that you are not suggesting that everything outside the Quiz section is necessarily a meaningful contribution?


This one isn't for a start.

Indeed.

Post counts are, by and large, totally pointless. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. I'd sooner have a forum which is quieter but has decent discussion than one which is busy but contains a lot of rubbish.
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Indeed.

Post counts are, by and large, totally pointless. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. I'd sooner have a forum which is quieter but has decent discussion than one which is busy but contains a lot of rubbish.

Well we'll be seeing you then! ;)
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Indeed.

Post counts are, by and large, totally pointless. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. I'd sooner have a forum which is quieter but has decent discussion than one which is busy but contains a lot of rubbish.

I can't help but look at your post count though! Not saying they're bad or anything like.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Well we'll be seeing you then! ;)

I can't help but look at your post count though! Not saying they're bad or anything like.

Yes, I admit my post count is quite high! In my defence though, a lot of them came from my first few months on here (probably until about this time in 2011), when I will happily admit I posted utter sh*te; I was on about 2,500-3,000 posts within 18 months I think.

My average for the last 6 months has been about <2.5/day; and that will probably only go down in future. Think I worked it out that if I posted at the level I do currently since I joined in May 2010 I'd be on about 4,500.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I will happily admit I posted utter sh*te; I was on about 2,500-3,000 posts within 18 months I think.

I'm afraid I must plead 'guilty' to a similar offence. :p

Before the forum team reset the posts counts (so that Quiz Forum posts didn't add to your total) I was on about 4,000-5,000 overall posts.

And, in fairness, there used to be a chronic culture of posting just for the hell of it, just to see how many you could do in a single day. I seem to remember I had the record at 91, then another member, who shall remain nameless, came along and did 150, and that was the end of that. :p

But since then, my averages have dropped big time. I also think the Quiz Forum looks a lot better these days.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Guilty as well, except I think most of my posts rather than the first few are utter ****e :oops::lol:

Agreed :p

Seriously yourself along with Matt and HST have nothing to worry about - there is a certain Caledonian Smoking Feline that posts more ****e on here than the three of you put together :p
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Agreed :p

Seriously yourself along with Matt and HST have nothing to worry about - there is a certain Caledonian Smoking Feline that posts more ****e on here than the three of you put together :p

This one for example. :lol:
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
It was with not a small amount of trepidation that I plucked up the courage to read this new thread as I participate on nine of the long-running quizzes on the Quizzes and Games forum, that do not go towards your "official" posting count that is shown in the panel under your avatar. However, since I joined the forum in April 2011, it appears that I have made a grand total of 11.465 postings on the other forums of this website.

However, this is not as many posting entries that I have made on one particular quiz, as I have made 12,817 postings on "The next station is" quiz that has now over 55,000 postings to its name....:oops:
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
However, this is not as many posting entries that I have made on one particular quiz, as I have made 12,817 postings on "The next station is" quiz that has now over 55,000 postings to its name....:oops:

So, really unofficially you are the top poster on this forum. :lol:
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,124
Location
Redcar
So, really unofficially you are the top poster on this forum.

Informed Sources (to borrow from Roger Ford) suggest that this is a strong possibility. Indeed they further suggest that 50,000 may not be far from the true figure.

But that could be hockum and hogwash of course...
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Informed Sources (to borrow from Roger Ford) suggest that this is a strong possibility. Indeed they further suggest that 50,000 may not be far from the true figure.

But that could be hockum and hogwash of course...
Of course, every moderator should have their 'worms' about who sneak around the quiz forums for information... ;)
No but questions are being asked at the highest levels ;)
Perhaps we need to hold a full scale judicial review. :lol:
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Count yourselves lucky ..... There used to be a certain "ban-ministrator" who was often at the top of the tables, helped by the fact that he had the power to delete posts and "silence" critics of his regime!

Fortunately, I'm now retired 8-) :lol:
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Count yourselves lucky ..... There used to be a certain "ban-ministrator" who was often at the top of the tables, helped by the fact that he had the power to delete posts and "silence" critics of his regime!

Fortunately, I'm now retired 8-) :lol:

I thought the story was that you had been shanghaied and marooned by the mutinous forum staff on Scunthorpe United Island...:D
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Well having looked at my post history, after joining in March 2011, I racked up 1000 posts just over six months later in october of the same year; you do the maths - my post rate has significantly decreased. If you so wished, you could express it as a mathematical equation:

Code:
Quality = 1/Post rate

Well at least I hope that relationship holds true... :lol:
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I notice the algorithm used for the above includes entries on The Quiz section of the Forum.

Whilst I appreciate these fun items give enjoyment to a lot of members they are not real posts in the true sense of a meaningful contribution (or otherwise :p).

My contention is that they should not be included in the calculations.


Sorry to be so late into this discussion as I've only just noticed the thread.

In my experience, I've discovered more interesting facts from the "Settlement Association" and "Closed Station" quizzes than some of the other posts combined. :D
 
Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
I feel that DanTrainMan185 is making a determined effort to unseat me from the pole position (apt wording for someone called Paul Sidorczuk (<() on the first three columns...<(:cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I only ever do the Quiz Forums and occasional TOPS requests; my life is far too busy to do anything else at the moment! (you only have to look below at my signature to see how much travelling I do!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top