• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Too soon to claim refund for Feb strike day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I have a ticket for 3rd Feb, however upon hearing of the forthcoming strikes I bought one to travel on 2nd instead (different route, coming back direct from elsewhere rather than diverting and coming back the next day on my usual route). Ticket bought on Trainsplit, who are still selling tickets for that journey on 3rd, although only at full fares, no Advances.

I'm doubtful whether my originally booked trains (Lime Street to New Street and New Street to Hereford) will even run on that date so unsure why they are still selling tickets, but that's immaterial as I have changed my itinerary anyway.

Is it too soon to claim a refund for the un-needed ticket for 3rd? Do I have to wait until after I confirm that the trains didn't run? If the strike is subsequently called off and the trains do run does that invalidate a claim, even though I have been pro-active and made alternative arrangements on the basis of the strikes?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,623
Location
Warks
I'm doubtful whether my originally booked trains (Lime Street to New Street and New Street to Hereford) will even run on that date so unsure why they are still selling tickets, but that's immaterial as I have changed my itinerary anyway.
There should be a warning in the date picker if you pick a strike day (on the new site, anyway).. ultimately the timetable hasn't been updated to withdraw train services for sale - and it probably won't be until the timetable is actually finalised. Avanti and other TOCs have hacked around this by restricting the services in S3/RARS and then relying on mandatory reservations to block off the retail of walk-ups.

Ultimately some folks will still want to buy walk-ups and then travel anyway (on what services are running), so the retailer can't just prevent retail altogether. I think the warnings strike a decent balance and I don't know of many other retailers that bother.

Is it too soon to claim a refund for the un-needed ticket for 3rd?
No, not necessarily. "Try it via the online refunds service and see if it works" is the advice we generally give.

If the strike is subsequently called off and the trains do run does that invalidate a claim, even though I have been pro-active and made alternative arrangements on the basis of the strikes?
No; the internal guidance I remember reading suggested retailers and TOCs should show discretion here, particularly since folks will have cancelled or made alternative plans.
 

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,623
Location
Warks
Ah. As it's a case of already-printed paper tickets, you'll need to submit photographs of the untouched and destroyed tickets through to customer services.

It's worth printing out ToD tickets at the last minute if you can; it makes refunds a lot simpler and avoids the need for you to have to take these photos.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Oh that's not a problem, thanks for clarifying. Sorry if it makes more work for you. I generally collect my tickets at the first opportunity in case I subsequently forget or don't have time on the day. Need to change my ways!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top