• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tonbridge- Birmingham International permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

55003

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
133
Location
West Kent
What routes are permitted for this journey apart from the obvious one via Euston? I am thinking of contigencies if the WCML has problems.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,287
Location
Connah's Quay
You can go via Birmingham or Coventry, so a couple of other valid routes are via Marylebone and High Wycombe, and via Paddington and Oxford.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,874
What routes are permitted for this journey apart from the obvious one via Euston? I am thinking of contigencies if the WCML has problems.

Cross Country run a through service from Reading to Birmingham and points beyond. Would it be valid to use the Gatwick Reading service perhaps via Redhill thus avoiding London?
 

55003

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
133
Location
West Kent
That was what I was thinking. Tonbridge -Redhill - Reading, Birmingham International
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
That was what I was thinking. Tonbridge -Redhill - Reading, Birmingham International

Despite appearing reasonable, I don't think that's permitted. The mapped routes are LONDON RA+EB TN+EB VH+EB.
All involve going via London or Kensington Olympia.

The closest you can get is going via Paddington to join the Cross Country train at Reading
 
Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Reasonable enough to be accepted on the North Downs Line I'd think (TON-OXF is valid for instance) - albeit at your own risk. Going via London would be quicker though - changing at Oxford (same platform) is preferable to Reading in this case. Bear in mind there's only one XC per hour stopping at BHI (the Manchester-Bournemouth service).

I've noticed before that the North Downs Line is missing from some routes where it would be quite reasonable. In many cases the only option is via London - one would think that a cheaper Not London ticket would be attractive, even if journey times are longer.
 

55003

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
133
Location
West Kent
Whilst these routes may be permitted, how would I stand with an advance ticket that has Virgin trains only it? Would I have to wait until Virgin declared that they had relaxed ticket restrictions? Yesterday the WCML was blocked by a fatality between Watford and Milton Keynes and last week the route was effected by flooding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top