• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOCs don't have posters warning passengers to check their Railcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #3 were originally in this thread.

Just thinking about it, I'm a bit surprised that TOCs don't have posters with the messages of 'Don't travel on a Railcard-discounted ticket without having your Railcard on you' and also 'Have you checked that your Railcard is still valid (in date)?'.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
Just thinking about it, I'm a bit surprised that TOCs don't have posters with the messages of 'Don't travel on a Railcard-discounted ticket without having your Railcard on you' and also 'Have you checked that your Railcard is still valid (in date)?'.
On my local TOC (SWR) you have to accept a splash screen on the TVM confirming that you have the valid railcard with you. No idea if (or how) they would ever use this against someone, but in principle it would be possible to see from the ticket issue code that it came from an SWR TVM, and be assumed the warning had been acknowledged.

At a ticket office they will always ask to see the railcard as a matter of course.
 

ffm

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
856
Perhaps cars should display a note saying 'is your driving licence in date'?
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,372
Absolutely not. TOCs patronise passengers with enough crap as it is...

Such as announcements about reporting unattended luggage. Since the IRA bombings, at the latest, I find it difficult to believe that people wouldn't report something unattended... (or, alternatively, steal it!)

I've been a railcard holder for over 2 years now-and I can count the amount of times I've forgotten it on one hand with no fingers! Some advice I would give (particularly to 16-25 railcard holders who cannot live without the things-myself included)-keep the railcard with your phone. I'd never leave home without my phone-so subsequently I've never left home without my railcard!

(Admittedly, I've left trains, planes and buses without other things-but I've never managed to lose my phone. Yet...)
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
On my local TOC (SWR) you have to accept a splash screen on the TVM confirming that you have the valid railcard with you. No idea if (or how) they would ever use this against someone, but in principle it would be possible to see from the ticket issue code that it came from an SWR TVM, and be assumed the warning had been acknowledged.

At a ticket office they will always ask to see the railcard as a matter of course.
You don' need to show a railcard when purchasing a railcard discouted ticket only to have one and show it when travelling
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
You don' need to show a railcard when purchasing a railcard discouted ticket only to have one and show it when travelling
I agree, but the starting position at all my local stations is to ask to see it, some even have notices up. I don't know what they do after that.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Well theyre in the wrong but i guess they may see it as safeguarding their farebox - you should let them know next time and see what they say
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,293
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
You don' need to show a railcard when purchasing a railcard discouted ticket only to have one and show it when travelling
Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets.
Is that new then as cant remember ever seeing it and is pretty useless when you can buy them online or at a TVM without showing your railcard whatsoever
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
ETA - I was thinking about purchasing in advance when i was typing so apologies there
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets.

And I will repeat, the last 4 tickets I have purchased from a ticket office they have NOT asked to see my Disabled Rail Card.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,372
Is that new then as cant remember ever seeing it and is pretty useless when you can buy them online or at a TVM without showing your railcard whatsoever
Nope. I remember once, at least 5 years ago, buying tickets whilst my Dad had gone to park the car. He never gave me the railcard-the station staff knew us, and had seen our railcard many times before, so sold the tickets but asked to see it before we got on the train.

Even now when I have a railcard of my own, I still have to produce it to be sold a railcard fare-even though the staff know I have one. And that's how it should be!
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,830
Location
Back office
Is that new then as cant remember ever seeing it and is pretty useless when you can buy them online or at a TVM without showing your railcard whatsoever

Nope, definitely not a new thing. When I tried to buy 9 months worth of Sheffield flyers in one go, Virgin at Euston refused to do it on the basis that I didn't have a 16-25 railcard on me. This was in May 2014 and the first ticket was dated for September 2014. Fair play to them as the leaflet and T&Cs did say this at the time - I did check. I went home, picked up my railcard and got another station to do it.

Also don't assume that everyone will find an alternative way to buy. Some people do, but I have rejected the sale of discounted tickets to people who don't have their railcards on them - whilst there are TVMs on the station, they invariably just buy the full priced tickets from me.
 
Last edited:

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
Nope, definitely not a new thing. When I tried to buy 9 months worth of Sheffield flyers in one go, Virgin at Euston refused to do it on the basis that I didn't have a 16-25 railcard on me. This was in May 2014 and the first ticket was dated for September 2014. Fair play to them as the leaflet and T&Cs did say this at the time - I did check. I went home, picked up my railcard and got another station to do it.

Also don't assume that everyone will find an alternative way to buy. Some people do, but I have rejected the sale of discounted tickets to people who don't have their railcards on them - whilst there are TVMs on the station, they invariably just buy the full priced tickets from me.
But as pointed out, with current technology you're not asked to present a railcard when buying online. So why do you have to do it at a ticket office?
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,293
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
But as pointed out, with current technology you're not asked to present a railcard when buying online. So why do you have to do it at a ticket office?
There was talk a while back of a central Railcard database that TIS would check bit its all gone quiet on that. So when it’s possible to check it’s checked.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
I expect any such implementation would drive lots of wibble from this forum about privacy and data protection.
 

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
If I'm alone and buying more than one ticket they tend to be satisfied with just the one railcard. How do they know my partner has one if she's not there? Or for that matter, that I am indeed going to be using any ticket I buy and show a railcard for?

It just all strikes me as a bit arbitrary.
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
You don' need to show a railcard when purchasing a railcard discouted ticket only to have one and show it when travelling

Does this mean when I sell a railcard discounted ticket on board a train, or perhaps before or after boarding (Say at the gates at Brighton), I cannot ask to see the railcard?
So the conversation will go like this:
Punter: Can I have a return to Falmer, with a young person discount
Me: Yes, that will be £2.85.
Punter : Here is my debit card.
Sale goes through, ticket printed, handed to punter.
Me: Right, now I'm checking your ticket, I need to see your railcard
Punter: oh, I've left it at home
Me: Right, then you have to pay the extra

Aghhhhhhh.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,830
Location
Back office
But as pointed out, with current technology you're not asked to present a railcard when buying online. So why do you have to do it at a ticket office?

People that buy online confirm that they have read and agree to the Conditions of Travel and T&Cs - so they have already stated they are well aware of the need to carry evidence of any discount entitlement. Some, if not all TVMs remind people they need to carry the railcard for the discount to be valid.

At a ticket office some people will pay an appropriate fare once it is established they don't have a railcard with them - or it's out of date, which is quite common. Like on here, some people do have a problem with this rule being enforced and their legal options are paying up, getting someone else to pay for them or not travelling. I'm with the railways on this one, there should be a requirement to show the railcard.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
Surely you only need the railcard to be valid when you travel, not when buying the ticket? So then you could buy the ticket before you have the railcard
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,293
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
And I will repeat, the last 4 tickets I have purchased from a ticket office they have NOT asked to see my Disabled Rail Card.

Just because something has happened doesn’t mean it’s been done correctly. The policy at the TOC I work for is not to ask for the Railcard when selling a ticket except on the day of travel. Doesn’t mean every TOC has the same policy.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
On my local TOC (SWR) you have to accept a splash screen on the TVM confirming that you have the valid railcard with you. No idea if (or how) they would ever use this against someone, but in principle it would be possible to see from the ticket issue code that it came from an SWR TVM, and be assumed the warning had been acknowledged.

At a ticket office they will always ask to see the railcard as a matter of course.

It makes zero difference whatsoever if they acknowledged or even read a warning. The ticket is invalid without the railcard. I think anyone in the public who claims to not understand this is attempting to evade fares or evade a higher fare - all literature provided with railcard purchase, online or at a station, make the rules very clear.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
It makes zero difference whatsoever if they acknowledged or even read a warning. The ticket is invalid without the railcard. I think anyone in the public who claims to not understand this is attempting to evade fares or evade a higher fare - all literature provided with railcard purchase, online or at a station, make the rules very clear.
I didn’t suggest it did make a difference to the passenger’s responsibilities, but the point of purchase is surely a good time to remind them to check they have their railcard? That’s all that is happening.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
I didn’t suggest it did make a difference to the passenger’s responsibilities, but the point of purchase is surely a good time to remind them to check they have their railcard? That’s all that is happening.

Seems an eminently sensible moment to do so to me.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
I didn’t suggest it did make a difference to the passenger’s responsibilities, but the point of purchase is surely a good time to remind them to check they have their railcard? That’s all that is happening.
I agree. Sorry, I was making assumptions based on the fact you said it could be potentially verified that they acknowledged the warning, implying that the verification would be used when making decisions regarding actions to take if they customer did not have their railcard when asked to present it.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,932
I must confess that if I am pushed for time to complete an onboard ticket check then if I see tickets purchased that day at a booking office I'm less likely to ask to see the railcard. Ditto if it's been sold from a portable machine (except in Northern areas where some of their contractors make an absolute pigs ear out of the simplest sales). I thus concentrate on more thoroughly checking vending machine and online purchased tickets which are the more likely to be irregular.

My methodology has been somewhat frustrated of late though by the fact that Virgin West Coast have installed a number of poxy new machines that print the same type of ticket as a standard STAR booking office with a paper receipt. Consequently it's less easy to tell at a glance where the ticket was purchased. I would mind less if it wasn't for the fact they're brand new and print to the old format and not the new one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top