• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC-only tickets for part of route

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkC

Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
353
Just wondering if people had any thoughts on whether the following is valid.

There's a ticket routed Grand Central Only between King's Cross and Bradford. Grand Central operate services between King's Cross and York, and between King's Cross and Bradford. York is on a permitted route between King's Cross and Bradford.

Is it therefore valid to use a Grand Central Only Return (from King's Cross - Bradford) between King's Cross and Bradford then (starting short) using the return portion between York and King's Cross?

Edit - sorry, garbled the initial post but it's right now.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
No because it is not a starting short issue. There is no Grand Central Bradford-York service to start short on.
 

YorkC

Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
353
No because it is not a starting short issue. There is no Grand Central Bradford-York service to start short on.

Does there need to be? As I say, you'd always be on a permitted route with the itinerary I suggest.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Does there need to be? As I say, you'd always be on a permitted route with the itinerary I suggest.
If using a TOC-only ticket, you have to travel with that TOC for the whole of your journey. Additionally, these tickets cannot officially be excessed to allow travel on other operators.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
If using a TOC-only ticket, you have to travel with that TOC for the whole of your journey. Additionally, these tickets cannot officially be excessed to allow travel on other operators.

True. However if you can make part of the journey on a Permitted Route with the named TOC, that'd be OK, wouldn't it?

Slightly different example: There is no Sunday service between Ormskirk and Preston, but I might have a (walk-up) ticket from Burscough Junction to Carlisle. I may still travel on Sunday, however I have to get myself to Preston to do so.

Question is...if there is *never* a service by a specific TOC over a section of route does that make the whole route, even partial, non-Permitted. I bet that's not documented anywhere.

Neil
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
Provided that the claims of routing permission by the OP is correct (I am unable to check atm), there is no requirement for the whole journey to be doable on Grand Central, as long as the ticket does not forbid break of journey.

We have had this discussion before but I can't remember which thread it is. Someone else may be able to provide a linky.

The only requirements are that:
  • The passenger remains on a permitted route at all times when travelling;
  • The passenger uses services provided by an appropriate train company when travelling;

There are no other obligations placed on the passenger AFAIK.

I am sure the ticket is not intended to be valid that way, but I don't think there is anything stopping it as things stand.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
True. However if you can make part of the journey on a Permitted Route with the named TOC, that'd be OK, wouldn't it?

Slightly different example: There is no Sunday service between Ormskirk and Preston, but I might have a (walk-up) ticket from Burscough Junction to Carlisle. I may still travel on Sunday, however I have to get myself to Preston to do so.

Question is...if there is *never* a service by a specific TOC over a section of route does that make the whole route, even partial, non-Permitted. I bet that's not documented anywhere.

Neil
Permitted routes are determined by the stations on the ticket, and then by taking into consideration any route restrictions.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
This is similar to the debates we have had previously about whether a "Not Underground" ticket can be used to Victoria, then making your own way to King's Cross, or if it has to be used via Thameslink.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Just wondering if people had any thoughts on whether the following is valid.

There's a ticket routed Grand Central Only between King's Cross and Bradford. Grand Central operate services between King's Cross and York, and between King's Cross and Bradford. York is on a permitted route between King's Cross and Bradford.

Is it therefore valid to use a Grand Central Only Return (from King's Cross - Bradford) between King's Cross and Bradford then (starting short) using the return portion between York and King's Cross?

Edit - sorry, garbled the initial post but it's right now.

There has been debate on this issue in the past, but there has not been a unanimous decision on these forums.

Issue one - Permitted routes.

Is via York a permitted route for an Any Permitted ticket between Kings Cross and Bradford?

This issue is a simple yes/no. In this case, Journey Planner states it is valid by that route.

Issue two - TOC specifics.

Does the list of permitted routes alter if a TOC restriction is applied?

The National Rail Conditions of Carriage has two important Conditions to consider, Conditions 10 and 13.

Condition 10 does not reduce the number of routes, just the number of trains that can be used. Condition 13 refers to routes, but makes no mention of Train Companies, or restrictions to them.

The Routeing Guide was written years before TOC specific restrictions came about and, because of that, makes no reference to them.

Based on this, my opinion is that you can use a GC only ticket, from London to Bradford, to travel from London to York on GC, but I would not expect a smooth ride.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Permitted routes are determined by the stations on the ticket, and then by taking into consideration any route restrictions.

I know. But how do you determine a Permitted Route for a TOC specific ticket?

Having established the full set of routes for a non-TOC-specific ticket, do you:-
1. Allow use on any of those but only on the services of a specific TOC
2. Delete any Permitted Route where the full journey cannot be made on that specific TOC

I think 1, you think 2. Is it documented?

Neil
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I know. But how do you determine a Permitted Route for a TOC specific ticket?

Having established the full set of routes for a non-TOC-specific ticket, do you:-
1. Allow use on any of those but only on the services of a specific TOC
2. Delete any Permitted Route where the full journey cannot be made on that specific TOC

I think 1, you think 2. Is it documented?

Neil
By permitted routes, I should have said 'trains that can be travelled on'.
Ie London - Bradford any permitted: travel is allowed on any permitted route.
London - Bradford GC Only: travel is allowed on any permitted route as long as GC are the only operator travelled with on any and all portions of the journey.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
London - Bradford GC Only: travel is allowed on any permitted route as long as GC are the only operator travelled with on any and all portions of the journey.

But you don't, unless Break of Journey/starting long/ending short is prohibited, have to actually make the whole journey on your ticket. You can make any part of it, provided the part you make is entirely on a Permitted Route from the origin to the destination.

This is what is in question. Do you have to be able to make the full journey by that route in order for it to be Permitted? On a Sunday clearly not.

Neil
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
I asked GC about this on twitter last week:
https://twitter.com/aaronsharpe/status/531764343705042946

I got thinking about it purely because of a journey I made this week between Thornaby and Bradford via the south.

In the end I got an any permitted ticket as I was unsure if I'd make the last GC northbound service.

I did ask a friend who is a GC guard and does both routes what he thought, and he said it would probably be fine.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Surprised GC said no. I'd have expected a yes on the grounds of being a small operator who I guess value attracting customers by customer service.

Then again, Twitterers often don't understand the ins and outs of routeing.

Neil
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
Surprised GC said no. I'd have expected a yes on the grounds of being a small operator who I guess value attracting customers by customer service.

Then again, Twitterers often don't understand the ins and outs of routeing.

Neil

An off-peak BDI-KGX is £16 cheaper than the off-peak YRK-KGX ticket and supposedly had the same validity.

I don't think they would want to encourage this sort of thing.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I don't think the twitter team understood how the question being asked related to the Routeing Guide.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Surprised GC said no. I'd have expected a yes on the grounds of being a small operator who I guess value attracting customers by customer service.

Then again, Twitterers often don't understand the ins and outs of routeing.

Neil
Absolutely, their main role is to provide updates and information on the running of trains, as that is what 99% of their contact with the public will be about.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Absolutely, their main role is to provide updates and information on the running of trains, as that is what 99% of their contact with the public will be about.

Must admit I enjoyed it when David Whitley was running LM Twitter, because he knew the lot, and being senior could make things happen. But deep down it was known that could never last.

Neil
 

YorkC

Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
353
An off-peak BDI-KGX is £16 cheaper than the off-peak YRK-KGX ticket and supposedly had the same validity.

I don't think they would want to encourage this sort of thing.

I hadn't even noticed that. Just have a friend visiting York and going via a football game in Bradford. It occurred to me that this might be possible - in fact the first ticket I checked was YRK-KGX via Bradford, but Bradford isn't on a permitted route for that...
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
I wonder what Grand Central will try and do about this apparent "anomaly" now that it's been highlighted.

Interestingly fares on East Coast are cheaper from York than from Bradford (to London), so East Coast would presumably not be in a hurry to enforce a change in the NRG.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I wonder what Grand Central will try and do about this apparent "anomaly" now that it's been highlighted.

Interestingly fares on East Coast are cheaper from York than from Bradford (to London), so East Coast would presumably not be in a hurry to enforce a change in the NRG.
If the relevant managers at GC have any integrity, they'd introduce a "Not via York" flow at the same price as the current one, and increase the price of GC Only tickets that permit travel via York.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
It used to be the case that York-London attracted a premium compared to West Yorkshire-London, but East Coast (possibly in GNER or National Express days) harmonised the fares, to make York-London valid via Leeds and Leeds-London valid via York.

Bradford-London has to be valid via Leeds, as it would be absurd to suggest otherwise (this would surely have protected route status), and therefore there is no reason why Bradford-London shouldn't be valid via York.

In fact it can be quicker to get to West Yorkshire via York on occasions, and not so long ago a passenger was going to Huddersfield and wanted to know which GC train to get from London. I asked if they had a reservation and they produced a reservation to York so I directed them to the Sunderland train. I then checked the timetable and it was indeed quicker to change at York. That's no longer the case in the current timetable.

Bradford-London is reasonable via York, and it is a permitted route in the Routeing Guide. Therefore GC have no right to prevent a Bradford-London ticket holder travelling between York & London.

As GC operate no trains on part of the permitted route, there are no valid trains on that section of route, but that doesn't in any way impact on the validity of the ticket between York & London.

GC must adhere to the Routeing Guide, and I am confident the Guards would honour such tickets.

If the Twitter person doesn't know what the validity is, then they need to ask a competent person and get back to the passenger. Lack of knowledge is not a good enough excuse for making up rules that don't exist.

Must admit I enjoyed it when David Whitley was running LM Twitter, because he knew the lot, and being senior could make things happen. But deep down it was known that could never last.

Neil
I've heard that "Jim" is very knowledgeable ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If the relevant managers at GC have any integrity, they'd introduce a "Not via York" flow at the same price as the current one, and increase the price of GC Only tickets that permit travel via York.
I'm not convinced you can mix'n'match TOC restrictions and route restrictions for walk-up tickets like that.

For "normal" tickets, Bradford-London is more expensive than York-London so is therefore reasonable and not unexpectedly permitted via York.

If GC want to reverse that situation, that's their problem, and they should not be surprised if people start short on tickets from Bradford, at York.

I wouldn't consider the GC only inter-available fares, even at the Bradford prices, as they're still far too expensive! The ECML is like an airline as far as I'm concerned, and I rarely travel with GC as it's cheaper to use EC and I can pick my choice of seat!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top