• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC emailed saying I'm too far away.. anyone experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommoli

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
5
Location
Farnborough
Hi everyone, just want to start off by saying thanks to everyone for the guidance on here, it definitely helped me get through the assessments.

After a bit of guidance and if anyone has experienced this before? I have passed all tests with OPC including MMI but they have sent me an email saying I live too far away. Despite being within an hour of the advertised position (barely I might add) but within an hour none the less.

Been years of applying to no avail and to have finally done the tests and passed feels amazing. But now it feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Thanks again to everyone who has given input to this forum, and thanks in advance for any response.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EZJ

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jun 2022
Messages
198
Location
Shoreham
They like you will probably have used Google Maps to determine how far from the depot you are, depending on the time of day they checked the times vary, I live 10 miles from my depot, at 0300 in the morning its a 31 minute drive at 0830 it's usually about 57 minutes, if you're right on the limit of an hour then your situation is always a danger. The hours limit is there for fatigue purposes so they won't budge on it unfortunately, my only suggestion if you could would be a relocation closer to the depot and see if they would accept this, you would of course have to prove you'd done this. Apart from that I don't see them budging on this. Good luck.
 

Parjon

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2022
Messages
518
Location
St Helens
How would this fare is the OP moved in with a friend closer to the depot and long enough to have moved legitimately - electoral register etc. And then move back when he's in the job?
 

EZJ

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jun 2022
Messages
198
Location
Shoreham
How would this fare is the OP moved in with a friend closer to the depot and long enough to have moved legitimately - electoral register etc. And then move back when he's in the job?
Most TOC's have been burned by "relocators" in the passed so are really quite strict on it now. I seem to recall one guy a few years back had to produce all sorts of proof at our place to show he'd actually moved, council tax in his name, utilities in his name etc etc.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
How would this fare is the OP moved in with a friend closer to the depot and long enough to have moved legitimately - electoral register etc. And then move back when he's in the job?
Having told the OP that they are too far away, if they suddenly give a different address that's closer the TOC is highly unlikely to buy it and progress the application. The HR teams are wise to people pulling tricks to try and get around the distance rules.
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Check what journey time you get from the AA - I know that while any normal person would check on Google Maps, c2c (at least used to) check addresses via the AA journey planner.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Hi everyone, just want to start off by saying thanks to everyone for the guidance on here, it definitely helped me get through the assessments.

After a bit of guidance and if anyone has experienced this before? I have passed all tests with OPC including MMI but they have sent me an email saying I live too far away. Despite being within an hour of the advertised position (barely I might add) but within an hour none the less.

Been years of applying to no avail and to have finally done the tests and passed feels amazing. But now it feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Thanks again to everyone who has given input to this forum, and thanks in advance for any response.

Hi,

I got the exact same email mate, in all honesty its a very hard pill to swallow considering we've done exactly whats been asked of us, but I've accepted that there are just people who live closer than I do, who have applied for the same role and have the same passes, its another way to bring down the numbers that have applied, and I get it if there is others who are 20mins vs mine etc, it is what it is, unfortunately.

I do wish that this was dealt with earlier in the process though, not sure why its taken getting to pre-DMI to be told this, surely this should be one of the first things to be done, I find it difficult to understand why the 'timings' wasnt a problem at application stage, why would you spend money on assessments if it was never going to happen anyway.
 

tommoli

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
5
Location
Farnborough
Hi,

I got the exact same email mate, in all honesty its a very hard pill to swallow considering we've done exactly whats been asked of us, but I've accepted that there are just people who live closer than I do, who have applied for the same role and have the same passes, its another way to bring down the numbers that have applied, and I get it if there is others who are 20mins vs mine etc, it is what it is, unfortunately.

I do wish that this was dealt with earlier in the process though, not sure why its taken getting to pre-DMI to be told this, surely this should be one of the first things to be done, I find it difficult to understand why the 'timings' wasnt a problem at application stage, why would you spend money on assessments if it was never going to happen anyway.
Exactly that. And with it being the Overground that is the closest depot to me. So in reality that pass means nothing now.

It is a shame, but hopefully I can transfer it to another application without doing too many re-tests. Not sure what other options I have being close to the edge of 1 hour from London.

Thanks for all your responses. They all make sense. And it is a hard pill to swallow but I have 5 years to make an action
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Exactly that. And with it being the Overground that is the closest depot to me. So in reality that pass means nothing now.

It is a shame, but hopefully I can transfer it to another application without doing too many re-tests. Not sure what other options I have being close to the edge of 1 hour from London.

Thanks for all your responses. They all make sense. And it is a hard pill to swallow but I have 5 years to make an action

I'll drop you a message.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,673
Exactly that. And with it being the Overground that is the closest depot to me. So in reality that pass means nothing now.

It is a shame, but hopefully I can transfer it to another application without doing too many re-tests. Not sure what other options I have being close to the edge of 1 hour from London.

Thanks for all your responses. They all make sense. And it is a hard pill to swallow but I have 5 years to make an action
Was it the overground that rejected you. Do you mind saying which company did and where you live ( roughly) . People on here might have suggestions as to where you could apply next time trainee jobs come up etc. I will go first . I live near Bedford and overground took me on at Willesden. A fellow trainee lived near Rushden and was taken on by overground too.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Was it the overground that rejected you. Do you mind saying which company did and where you live ( roughly) . People on here might have suggestions as to where you could apply next time trainee jobs come up etc. I will go first . I live near Bedford and overground took me on at Willesden. A fellow trainee lived near Rushden and was taken on by overground too.

I dont live far from Bedford, bit further south and closer to the A1 and was rejected from Willesden today for the same reasons as OP.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,673
I dont live far from Bedford, closer to the A1 and was rejected from Willesden today for the same reasons as OP.
Ok . They must have tightened up. If and when EMR recruit for Kettering you might be close enough. Thameslink at Cricklewood and hornsey might be ok and great northern at Welwyn garden city should be ok for you. In any case I hope it works out. Also overground require some of the highest psychometric test scores , so hopefully your results will be good for you. Just apply everywhere though and try to mention on the applications that you have the results , some tocs do allow relocation.
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,910
Location
London
I assume they did further sifting as usually they sift the far away ones in the early application stage.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Ok . They must have tightened up. If and when EMR recruit for Kettering you might be close enough. Thameslink at Cricklewood and hornsey might be ok and great northern at Welwyn garden city should be ok for you. In any case I hope it works out. Also overground require some of the highest psychometric test scores , so hopefully your results will be good for you. Just apply everywhere though and try to mention on the applications that you have the results , some tocs do allow relocation.

Yeah, I imagine the numbers that got through stage 2 were still pretty high because if the time was a big issue I imagine it would have been dealt with at application stage, I cant imagine why else they would allow me to get this far.

I've got an application in at Cricklewood/Hornsey which is still awaiting a DMI.

Welwyn would be ideal, I also have an application in at Bletchley but with that one its 45mins commute, I'm below 45mins on a clear run but its very dependent on the time of day, if you check it in rush hour its obviously going to be an issue and I'm not sure what the allowances are for that.

I'm keeping my eyes on everything, and apply to every vacancy within the required timeframe, just a bit frustrating as I thought this one was progressing well.
 

fabs

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2014
Messages
121
It’s a bitter pill and maybe unfair, but unfortunately you are a victim of previous disingenuous applicants who have been economical with the truth; whether it be passing an accurate commute time or saying they’d move once employed.
Also not helped that the union back them all they way when challenged.

Easier to sift out before joining.

It’s not right and I don’t agree but it is much much easier not to have the fight downstream.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
I assume they did further sifting as usually they sift the far away ones in the early application stage.

I imagine so, the thing whats frustrating for me is I'm within the time they stated on the application.

Dont get me wrong, I fully get it, if there are people who are 10, 20, 30mins closer you're going to favour those instead but you put a requirement on the vacancy which we met so its a tough one.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,673
It’s a bitter pill and maybe unfair, but unfortunately you are a victim of previous disingenuous applicants who have been economical with the truth; whether it be passing an accurate commute time or saying they’d move once employed.
Also not helped that the union back them all they way when challenged.

Easier to sift out before joining.

It’s not right and I don’t agree but it is much much easier not to have the fight downstream.
We can't be sure why this has happened after all the testing . But although it feels it might have been better to do it at the start , you probably wouldn't have got all the passes and they are now in a fantastic position as many many people will never get the chance. It might be hard to take right now but look at the positive , they have paid for your psychometrics.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
It’s a bitter pill and maybe unfair, but unfortunately you are a victim of previous disingenuous applicants who have been economical with the truth; whether it be passing an accurate commute time or saying they’d move once employed.
Also not helped that the union back them all they way when challenged.

Easier to sift out before joining.

It’s not right and I don’t agree but it is much much easier not to have the fight downstream.

It is what it is, obviously would have preferred to been told this before as like many others, you have to commit a lot of time and effort into these applications.

Luckily, the assessments I had already passed 99% of them so they werent much trouble but these definitely came with out of pocket expenses too attend which could have been avoided.
 

JWS

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2022
Messages
136
Location
Bishops Stortford
Yeh I’ve found this out a few times. Southeastern ask for some depos your within 20mins. I’m not sure who can afford to live within 20mins of Victoria!
I’m assuming you can’t pretend to live nearby for 6months with a friend they are hot on proof of address like drivers licence and utility bills.
 
Joined
3 Sep 2022
Messages
121
Location
London
Yeh I’ve found this out a few times. Southeastern ask for some depos your within 20mins. I’m not sure who can afford to live within 20mins of Victoria!
I’m assuming you can’t pretend to live nearby for 6months with a friend they are hot on proof of address like drivers licence and utility bills.

I imagine some do, but I'm not going to do that.

I want the job just like everyone else but I'm not going to lie on my application about where I live, seems like a bad way to start the process.

I've chosen to not apply to a few as the time of commute is touch and go.
 

tommoli

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
5
Location
Farnborough
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses, seems as though its just the way it is and there isn't anything I can do about it with that particular operator.

If anyone has any HR numbers of SWR or GWR please send me a message. I'm planning to ask to be added to a talent pool. As opposed to waiting for a new trainee position then doing the whole application process for it.

Thanks again, great community!
 

FGW_DID

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
3,037
Location
81D & 81E
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses, seems as though its just the way it is and there isn't anything I can do about it with that particular operator.

If anyone has any HR numbers of SWR or GWR please send me a message. I'm planning to ask to be added to a talent pool. As opposed to waiting for a new trainee position then doing the whole application process for it.

Thanks again, great community!

Are you currently in a talent pool with either of those TOCs and just looking to swap depots? If not, you would probably have to go through the whole recruitment process (bar the Psychometrics if they accepted your pass marks). Also with GWR, you have to pass the Driver Managers Interview first to get to the talent pool (Don’t know how it works with SWR).
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,910
Location
London
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses, seems as though its just the way it is and there isn't anything I can do about it with that particular operator.

If anyone has any HR numbers of SWR or GWR please send me a message. I'm planning to ask to be added to a talent pool. As opposed to waiting for a new trainee position then doing the whole application process for it.

Thanks again, great community!
They'll expect you to apply for their next posts if you're already not in the process.
 

Samsanbor

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2015
Messages
104
Location
Scotland
It sounds extremely unfair for the OP.
Why the TOC didn't check the location suitability at the beginning of the process? Fair enough they pay for the psychometrics but going throughout the entire process can be a waste of time and money for someone.
How the OP ending would be considered then, it's a fail taking one of the 2 attempts off?
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
We can't be sure why this has happened after all the testing . But although it feels it might have been better to do it at the start , you probably wouldn't have got all the passes and they are now in a fantastic position as many many people will never get the chance. It might be hard to take right now but look at the positive , they have paid for your psychometrics.

Which makes it all the more bizarre that they have been 'sifted out' at this late stage. Location/distance from home depot should form part of an initial sift and a TOC will pay several hundred pounds to put one applicant through OPC testing so it's very strange for a TOC to pay for the tests and then sift out based on commute time. It makes no sense.
 

Mabs

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2018
Messages
402
I live 20 minutes away from Willesden. I passed the assessments to Enhanced and Overground still rejected my application. I was shocked that I wanted to call them but didn't in the end.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Why the TOC didn't check the location suitability at the beginning of the process? Fair enough they pay for the psychometrics but going throughout the entire process can be a waste of time and money for someone.

A waste of money certainly for the TOC but the candidate can then take their passes elsewhere if they have been successful at OPC.
 

Tysoe

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
92
I'm in Bedford too and have an application in for overground too. Just waiting for the rejection email now. Frustrating after using leave from work for the assessment days to be turned away on distance at this stage. Google maps says I'm 55 mins away from willesden so dont have much hope now.

Have an application in for bletchley so fingers crossed as chances seem few and far between for depots from Bedford
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,910
Location
London
The recruitment process has been a tad appalling. I don't want to point fingers at the new Recruitment lady but from what I've seen of peoples experiences this campaign and of those who were given false hope of application carry over on the last it seems the organization of the process has gone to tosh.

They definitely sifted Applications in the first application stage based on location. What they did again was sift once more for the DMI spots as they must have gotten a few more than they expected pass Stage 2. Previously some applicants received in a similar way an end of process email stating they failed the VSE when they never took it which was down to the process having more than the expected I assume pass the VSE already.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top