RichmondCommu
Established Member
G'day everyone,
Whilst looking through some old photographs at the weekend I came across a picture which on the right hand side shows a GWR designed Toad brake van on the freight lines opposite platform 6 at Derby station. Given that I was focusing on my friend standing in front of 08178 the Toad is really there by lucky chance and I can't tell whether its on the rear of a train or not. However the brake van does have a lamp attached to it which suggests to me that it may well be running through the station as part of a train.
I'm really interested to know whether a Toad brake van running as far north as Derby was pretty much a one off or whether that kind of thing would have been a regular occurrence. The picture was taken in November 1975 and I would also be interested to know how many Toad brake vans were still running on the network at that stage. From all the photographs that I have I've not seen any other brake vans other than the BR standard type.
Any thoughts / stories of brake van operation / inter-regional freights would be much appreciated!
Kindest regards,
Richmond Commuter!
Whilst looking through some old photographs at the weekend I came across a picture which on the right hand side shows a GWR designed Toad brake van on the freight lines opposite platform 6 at Derby station. Given that I was focusing on my friend standing in front of 08178 the Toad is really there by lucky chance and I can't tell whether its on the rear of a train or not. However the brake van does have a lamp attached to it which suggests to me that it may well be running through the station as part of a train.
I'm really interested to know whether a Toad brake van running as far north as Derby was pretty much a one off or whether that kind of thing would have been a regular occurrence. The picture was taken in November 1975 and I would also be interested to know how many Toad brake vans were still running on the network at that stage. From all the photographs that I have I've not seen any other brake vans other than the BR standard type.
Any thoughts / stories of brake van operation / inter-regional freights would be much appreciated!
Kindest regards,
Richmond Commuter!