Busaholic
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 7 Jun 2014
- Messages
- 14,671
'To the World's End: Scenes and Characters from a London Bus Route' can be found on the BBC iplayer service. I found it entirely by chance: it dates from 1985 and is not really about buses, although there are plenty of shots of Routemasters on route 31 from Camden Town to Chelsea, World's End (formerly known as the Stanley Arms). It is a slice of social history and shows a London that has all but disappeared - Costas Fashions rather than Costa Coffee Shops - and, I think, the makers of it were probably aware it was disappearing even as they made it.
Even the bus route, though still in existence, no longer ploughs its furrow through to Chelsea but is truncated to Notting Hill Gate.
On a personal level, one of the characters that the programme focuses on I realised I knew quite well in 1975, ten years before the programme was made. She'll be long dead now, but it was so strange to hear her very distinctive voice again after all this time.
I do hope some of you see it and find it enjoyable : I found it on the A-Z index under 'To..'
Even the bus route, though still in existence, no longer ploughs its furrow through to Chelsea but is truncated to Notting Hill Gate.
On a personal level, one of the characters that the programme focuses on I realised I knew quite well in 1975, ten years before the programme was made. She'll be long dead now, but it was so strange to hear her very distinctive voice again after all this time.
I do hope some of you see it and find it enjoyable : I found it on the A-Z index under 'To..'