• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

To be or not to be a Conductor..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPeter

New Member
Joined
31 Mar 2018
Messages
1
Hi all,

I imagine I'm the 509th person to ask the question but I've recently been invited to an assessment for GWR as a Conductor. It's a completely different direction to the other job roles I'm considering for my next move but I find it very intriguing.

I wondered if somebody could give me a realistic idea of a 'day in the life' as its normally somewhat different to how the companies advertise it. I work shifts now and have been Cabin Crew before so I imagine the environment to be fairly similar but wondered if you could share your experiences! Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hughavinalaf

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2014
Messages
152
Its an excellent job and because of the customers,and their various ways......no two days are the same.In regards difficulties,much depends on your attitude and decision making,90% of the job really can be as problematic or as easy as you want it to be.
You'll make good friends and you'll earn a decent wage.Go for it.
 

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
2,225
During my time at FGW/GWR as a Guard (Conductor) there were a number of ex cabin crew guards, it seemed to be quite a clear move from cabin crew to conductor.

I'd say go for it, it's a great job - although be eyes wide open that it COULD be a short term thing (DCO in 5-10 years).

Keep your nose clean, and move to driving as soon as you can - again a lot of guards go that way.
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,151
Location
Cornwall
Just make sure the train is dispatched correctly,there seem to be quite a lot of incidents of this nature recently with train and platform staff taken off for med-screening.

Better a small delay than a dispatch irregularly in my opinion.

If you have a good personality and enjoy working with people it can be enjoyable if challenging at times.
 

laps3

New Member
Joined
25 Nov 2016
Messages
3
Safety is the number one priority. Always and at all times.
Making sure the passengers know we're there and available if they need us. It can be a challenging role especially at times of disruption where your personality and calm under pressure disposition comes in to play.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top