• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tim Minchin rants against ITV "cowardice"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Really? From what I've seen in terms of old TV programmes, I beg to differ!

Like what? What's considered "offensive" changes with time. A lot of the stuff on TV these days would never have been allowed in the past. TV has never been more uncensored than it is now.
 

Crimson_Quiff

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
406
Location
Mount Dubious
Like what? What's considered "offensive" changes with time. A lot of the stuff on TV these days would never have been allowed in the past. TV has never been more uncensored than it is now.

I disagree. I actually find some stuff from the past would not be allowed these days. Alot of un-PC elements can be found in certain stand-up and sitcom comedies.

I just find stuff on TV these days are more censored than the years gone by.

I get the impression from what I've seen from the likes of The Two Ronnies, Bernard Manning, On The Buses (to name but a few) were less afraid to say things that you would land you with a lawsuit these days!
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I disagree. I actually find some stuff from the past would not be allowed these days. Alot of un-PC elements can be found in certain stand-up and sitcom comedies.

I just find stuff on TV these days are more censored than the years gone by.

I get the impression from what I've seen from the likes of The Two Ronnies, Bernard Manning, On The Buses (to name but a few) were less afraid to say things that you would land you with a lawsuit these days!

On the other hand there's stuff on TV now that would not have been allowed back then.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
On the other hand there's stuff on TV now that would not have been allowed back then.

It goes both ways, really.

What people find offensive has changed, and TV has changed to reflect that.
However, I do think that nowadays there is too much of an emphasis on trying to avoid offending anyone at all, which there wasn't so much, say, 20 years ago.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top