• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets valid "As Advertised" - advertised where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
TVM's are quite limited in what they can do. Until the are able to explain restrictions adequately, sell tickets from other stations, advance tickets, accept refund applications, sell season tickets, extensions, rangers, rovers, extensions, excesses and a dozen other things, they should not be used as a means of reducing ticket office hours or closing them altogether.

They do have their uses though, mostly it's selling simple tickets quickly for local journeys!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I only really use TVMs for collecting online bookings. I recently had a 37-coupon weekend away in Wales (bouncing back and forth between Newport Gwent and Cardiff for rugby matches) and I tied up three TVMs at once in Lewisham collecting all the tickets!
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
And picking up TOD after ordering online!

Yes, that as well, although I have seen many people go to the booking office here for their ticket collection without even trying the TVM - including a uniformed police officer a few weeks back!

I think some people definitely dislkie the machines! I did at first, but now I am used to them!
 

BRX

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
4,523
More than once, I've looked up ticket options on the web, found the best one, then gone to a TVM and haven't been able to find the same fare there.

I've tended to assume that it's because I've unknowingly been looking at some "web only" special offer on the web, but having read the comments above, I think my strategy from now on will be to buy online and collect from the machine.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,113
Location
Redcar
More than once, I've looked up ticket options on the web, found the best one, then gone to a TVM and haven't been able to find the same fare there.

Are you sure you're not looking at advance fares online? They aren't available from TVMs as they are geared for tickets for almost immediate travel and only offer tickets for the next day after 4pm (I think).
 

BRX

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
4,523
Are you sure you're not looking at advance fares online? They aren't available from TVMs as they are geared for tickets for almost immediate travel and only offer tickets for the next day after 4pm (I think).

Definitely has been for non-advance tickets.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Until the are able to explain restrictions adequately

I would have thought that this would be easy to resolve. Ticket machines can print out relevant restriction texts on a piece of paper (not on ticket stock) together with the purchase of a walk-on ticket. Of course the added cost of new machines and blank paper is a different matter.

sell tickets from other stations
...
rangers, rovers

None of these are that difficult to do technically.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I am not saying that it's difficult, only that they can't do it now! Until they cna do everything or almost everything that a ticket office cna do, they ar enot a substitute for one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top