• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets routed "Thameslink only"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
259
I bought a Preston Park to London Travelcard Zones 1-6 ticket, as part of a split ticket journey from Worthing to London, as it's the cheapest way to do it, via this forum's ticketing site.

All good, no problems with journeys, but when I looked at the Preston Park to London ticket it said "Thameslink Only" on it.

I remember there were cheap Thameslink Only tickets in the past, and I assume this is still one of those? My question is twofold:
  1. There was nothing anywhere in the booking process that mentioned Thameslink only, should there be? And thus
  2. Is this restriction still valid or enforced given the trains are all run by the same company and the very frequent services on Southern and Thameslink are to all intents and purposes interchangeable
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Bought a Preston Park to London Travelcard Z1-6 ticket as part of a split ticket journey from Worthing to London, as the cheapest way to do it, via this forums ticketing site.
All good, no problems with journeys, but when I looked at the Preston Park to London ticket it said Thameslink only on it. I remember there were cheap Thameslink only tickets in the past, and I assume this is still one of those? My question is twofold.
1.There was nothing amywhere in the booking process that mentioned Thameslink only, should there be? And thus
It is stated, yes.

Did you use the new site or the old?
2.Is this restriction still valid or enforced given the trains are all run by the same company and the very frequent services on Southern and Thameslink are to all intents and purposes interchangeable
It's not lawful; there is no provision for brand restricted ticketing.

It's generally not enforced, however if you are charged a Penalty Fare or excess fare, please let us know and we'll help you appeal it.
 

Halsebee

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
259
It is stated, yes.

Did you use the new site or the old?

It's not lawful; there is no provision for brand restricted ticketing.

It's generally not enforced, however if you are charged a Penalty Fare or excess fare, please let us know and we'll help you appeal it.
I had no problem with the ticket at all.
Re old or new site, I much much prefer the old site, I find the new one much less user friendly and more difficult to navigate when looking for complex tickets, and it is much less easy to compare different journeys easily. Please don't close the old site down.
In answer to your question, on this occasion I booked on my Android phone which, as far as I can see only offers a version of the new site? Is the old site accessible on Android?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
The new site makes it much clearer, and you can choose from the full range of tickets.

I can't control when the old site will be taken down, but it's surely inevitable.
 

Halsebee

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
259
The new site makes it much clearer, and you can choose from the full range of tickets.

I can't control when the old site will be taken down, but it's surely inevitable.
Well I don't agree about much clearer, my experience is that it is much less easy to use. Take your word on range of tickets though.
As a user who doesn't agree about the"improvement", may I ask what sort of real user feedback you have had about the change of sites?
 
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
15
Location
Oxted
I bought a Preston Park to London Travelcard Zones 1-6 ticket, as part of a split ticket journey from Worthing to London, as it's the cheapest way to do it, via this forum's ticketing site.

All good, no problems with journeys, but when I looked at the Preston Park to London ticket it said "Thameslink Only" on it.

I remember there were cheap Thameslink Only tickets in the past, and I assume this is still one of those? My question is twofold:
  1. There was nothing anywhere in the booking process that mentioned Thameslink only, should there be? And thus
  2. Is this restriction still valid or enforced given the trains are all run by the same company and the very frequent services on Southern and Thameslink are to all intents and purposes interchangeable
It is only between Preston park and east Croydon. (Or First station in the zones that the train stops at, ie slow line coulsdon south) After that you can use the ticket on any train in the zones 1-6 as it is a travelcard.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top